Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Privacy rights in UK  (Read 2787 times)

• Liked: 113
Privacy rights in UK
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
It was our first time leaving our son with a babysitter last night and she asked us to turn off all our in-home security cameras because she said it made her feel uncomfortable and it was an invasion of her privacy. She did make a point that the agency we used had already done background checks on her and she works for a nursery too so she’s used to being around children. She assured us we had nothing to worry about, just the cameras made her uncomfortable.

The cameras don’t record anything they just live stream and I can see what’s going on from an app on my phone. I find them useful right now because we’re having work done in our home so there’s always different people, joiners, decorators, electricians, plumbers, etc. walking in and out. Also lets me “watch” when i leave my son in the living room while i have to be in the kitchen, which is a different room.

Part of me understands the babysitters sentiments, but another part says it’s our home so don’t we have a right to put up the cameras if it makes us feel safer? How’s it any different from cameras in stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Privacy rights in UK
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
It was our first time leaving our son with a babysitter last night and she asked us to turn off all our in-home security cameras because she said it made her feel uncomfortable and it was an invasion of her privacy. She did make a point that the agency we used had already done background checks on her and she works for a nursery too so she’s used to being around children. She assured us we had nothing to worry about, just the cameras made her uncomfortable.

The cameras don’t record anything they just live stream and I can see what’s going on from an app on my phone. I find them useful right now because we’re having work done in our home so there’s always different people, joiners, decorators, electricians, plumbers, etc. walking in and out. Also lets me “watch” when i leave my son in the living room while i have to be in the kitchen, which is a different room.

Part of me understands the babysitters sentiments, but another part says it’s our home so don’t we have a right to put up the cameras if it makes us feel safer? How’s it any different from cameras in stores?

I would tell the agency not to send her to you again.  Telling the parents to turn off cameras, to me, is sketchy.  I can't imagine she walks into a shop and asks them to turn off their security cameras, but she's not worried about privacy there. What is she planning to do in your home?  It's not HER home.  It's yours.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
I agree with jfkimberly. What is it that she doesn't want you to see?
I would insist on the cameras and let the agency know this is your position so you don't have this problem again.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
That sounds sketchy for sure. I would echo what jfkimberly said...make sure to tell the agency. It's your home and you have every right to take precautions, especially when your child is involved.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
A pervy husband watching you go to the bathroom?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
A pervy husband watching you go to the bathroom?

Lol we only have cameras in the entrance hall, living room, kitchen, and toddler’s room.

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
I emailed the agency to ask if they had any policies regarding this or requests from other parents. I just wasn’t sure if there are strict privacy laws here in the UK that I was crossing.

Coz my son’s nursery doesn’t allow the use of cellphones/taking pictures while inside the premises. But i understand that because some parents don’t want pictures of their child/ren taken. I was only able to get a photo of my son’s first day of nursery while staff monitored me taking a photo of only him in the frame lol.

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
I've got to side with the baby sitter.  I don't think a person has to accept video surveillance because "otherwise she has something to hide ".  What if the government said they had received reports of child abuse in your home and wanted to install cameras just to be sure.  What's wrong, do you have something to hide?  Don't you love your children more than your silly right to privacy?  I don't have anything to hide but I would rather not have my boss video me while doing my job.

What if you decided that you'd like to install a tracker on her car to make sure she's staying at home and getting enough rest?  After all, a tired baby sitter may make dangerous mistakes...

I'm afraid we all have a reasonable expectation of privacy and that kind of surveillance is over the line for me, unless there is some special reason.

of course you have all the right in the world to put up cameras, and she has all the right not to work for you.  As long as you tell people about to work in your house then fair enough. 

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
I'd also think about privacy for your kids as well.  Kids at every age are generally enthusiastic about wanking,  Maybe they could do without being videod like the generations preceeding.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
I was thinking about an additional aspect of this the other day when talking to a friend.  He was telling me how his family constantly use find my phone to figure out where each other are.  He doesn't bother asking if his wife is on her way home from work, he just checks find my phone. 

I found the whole idea bizarre and would never consider tracking my wife's phone unless I feared she was dead in a ditch.  Even though it's just a click away, it still seems like a violation of privacy.
I told my kids that I expect them to turn the feature on so that we can actually find their phones if lost, but I also said I wouldn't use it unless I feared for their safety. Somehow my parents raised me without a tracking device so I am going to try to do the same.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
He was telling me how his family constantly use find my phone to figure out where each other are. 

By-the-way Dana, just what were you doing on Cromwell Street at 2:30 yesterday?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 768
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
By-the-way Dana, just what were you doing on Cromwell Street at 2:30 yesterday?
Following up...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
I was thinking about an additional aspect of this the other day when talking to a friend.  He was telling me how his family constantly use find my phone to figure out where each other are.  He doesn't bother asking if his wife is on her way home from work, he just checks find my phone. 

I found the whole idea bizarre and would never consider tracking my wife's phone unless I feared she was dead in a ditch.  Even though it's just a click away, it still seems like a violation of privacy.
I told my kids that I expect them to turn the feature on so that we can actually find their phones if lost, but I also said I wouldn't use it unless I feared for their safety. Somehow my parents raised me without a tracking device so I am going to try to do the same.
I feel this way too. I've had friends whose spouses installed malware tracking software on their phones as a form of abuse and control, viewing all of their messages, logging passwords, and documenting their whereabouts through the day. I feel like that find my phone feature is just a step below that and so prone to abuse. I have it turned on but if my husband ever used it outside of me not responding and not coming home (ie - possibly an emergency) I'd be pissed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
I absolutely and fundamentally believe in a persons right to defend their property. Video surveillance falls squarely in that realm.

And don't get me started on the rights of intruders... >:(

Masonjohnsmum should absolutely not turn off her cameras. Can you imagine how she would feel if she gave in to pressure and something bad did happen?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:24:49 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
I feel like communication is the key here. The agency should have communicated your providers preference before she was assigned to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab