Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Being a nurse in the UK  (Read 972 times)

• Liked: 239
Being a nurse in the UK
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
Anyone here a nurse? I worked for 4 years as a nurse in the states and am trying to get registered here and it’s very difficult.

Can I work as a pre registered nurse while waiting to take the cbt?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
Re: Being a nurse in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
Try  @nurseheidi   :)

• Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
Hello there!
I am a longtime listener first time poster! I've been an RN in the US for 10 years. I'm in the UK now (thanks to this forum)on a spouse visa. Hubby is English. I have 2 boys and also shipped over our Newfoundland. We arrived in June. I'm currently waiting for my application to the Nursing and Midwifery Council to be processed. I'd be happy to help other nurses or newcomers to the UK navigate this huge process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »
Hello there!
I am a longtime listener first time poster! I've been an RN in the US for 10 years. I'm in the UK now (thanks to this forum)on a spouse visa. Hubby is English. I have 2 boys and also shipped over our Newfoundland. We arrived in June. I'm currently waiting for my application to the Nursing and Midwifery Council to be processed. I'd be happy to help other nurses or newcomers to the UK navigate this huge process.

Did you pass your CBT the first try? I didn't and I think it must have been more than 2 of the critical questions I got wrong. I'm waiting on the 28 days to be up so I can do the 2nd attempt but not sure what to do differently. I was thinking of just reading the Royal Marsden book cover to cover. Any advice? It felt so easy while I was taking it.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
I did pass in March. My experience is all Labor/delivery, postpartum/newborn transition so I bought a study guide that I found online called apple RN. The teacher is based in India but trained in the USA. i felt it was great for covering the code and other essential criteria. Its basically power points but I found it really helpful for helping me to organize what/when to study. I studied a couple of hours a day for a month. I spoke to an educator at a nearby hospital and she seemed to think before you get your pin from the NMC you could apply for healthcare assistant jobs. Nhs jobs is a site I've used. I have a job interview in a couple of weeks as a maternity support worker that doesn't require a nursing license. I'm not sure where you are based but there is an overseas nursing forum coming up that I'm going to that I think will shed more light on the future of overseas trained nurses in the UK. It's really nice to chat with somebody on a similar situation.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »
I did pass in March. My experience is all Labor/delivery, postpartum/newborn transition so I bought a study guide that I found online called apple RN. The teacher is based in India but trained in the USA. i felt it was great for covering the code and other essential criteria. Its basically power points but I found it really helpful for helping me to organize what/when to study. I studied a couple of hours a day for a month. I spoke to an educator at a nearby hospital and she seemed to think before you get your pin from the NMC you could apply for healthcare assistant jobs. Nhs jobs is a site I've used. I have a job interview in a couple of weeks as a maternity support worker that doesn't require a nursing license. I'm not sure where you are based but there is an overseas nursing forum coming up that I'm going to that I think will shed more light on the future of overseas trained nurses in the UK. It's really nice to chat with somebody on a similar situation.

I saw apple rn on youtube. I may get her guide then. I've been looking for HCA jobs in NHS but there aren't a ton in my area so I've been applying for temporary office work in surgeries. I'm in NorthEast Scotland in a tiny village but I know I'll commute whenever I find a job. Let me know how the forum goes!

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
Village in Scotland sounds lovely. I'm btw Manchester and Liverpool. I saw your post about getting settled here too. Are you driving? If so-how is it? I'm stressing.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
Village in Scotland sounds lovely. I'm btw Manchester and Liverpool. I saw your post about getting settled here too. Are you driving? If so-how is it? I'm stressing.

I’m not yet. Husband has a manual and I’ve only ever driven automatics. It’s much easier and cheaper to get a manual car here so I’m getting him to teach me before sitting for the test. Hoping it goes smoothly!

I’ve found getting around isn’t as confusing as I thought. I was most worried about round abouts because where I lived never had them. And trying to figure out 1st exit from 3rd sounded overwhelming. Paying attention to my husband and asking when the gps would say which exit, I figured it out.

Now if the clutch and I can just become best friends  :D

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »
The driving!!! I can drive a manual, but haven't for years. My husband prefers automatic so that is what we bought. The area we live is very busy so I really dread it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab