Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: An Event for Americans in Central London  (Read 4008 times)

• Liked: 0
An Event for Americans in Central London
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »
Hi All,

We just wanted to let you know that ahead of the 2018 Midterms, we've opted to bring back the ElectionFest concept from the 2016 Presidential race.

The event is taking place at Cadogan Hall in central London, on September 13 2018. It'll be geared towards fellow Americans in the UK so we'll have representatives from the FVAP (Federal Voting Assistance Programme) to help register your overseas ballot so that you can vote in this November's Midterms. There'll also be American music and comedy - including US Comedian Rich Hall who was a big hit at ElectionFest 2016.

We hope you can make it! Check out details at the link below, or if you have any questions or ideas, do e-mail support@theamerican.co.uk

newcomer link: https://www.theamerican.co.uk/pr/ElectionFest-2018.php [nonactive]

• Liked: 672
Re: An Event for Americans in Central London
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »
Cool!

Any chance you'll have anything like this in Scotland? London is in a different country, and a loooong way from us up here.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
I saw Rich Hall at a Fetchin Bones concert at the Milestone in 1988.  He was famous in the US for "Sniglets". 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »
Cool!

Any chance you'll have anything like this in Scotland? London is in a different country, and a loooong way from us up here.

We'd love to run something in Scotland - would Edinburgh or Glasgow be the better host city do you think? Do contact our Editor (editor@theamerican.co.uk) as he'd love to hear from Americans in Scotland to get more copies of The American magazine up there and to run events etc!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
Well, I'd say Glasgow, because I live here.  ;) ;)

People are spread out geographically. There's a good number of us associated with the Unis in both of the major cities. The Aberdeen area I suspect still has the leftovers from back when the North Sea Oil was being drilled. (If you see Lone Star in a bar, there are Texans nearby!) Other than that, we're all over the place.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »
I saw Rich Hall at a Fetchin Bones concert at the Milestone in 1988.  He was famous in the US for "Sniglets". 

I use sniglets all the time. My two favorites are: "cinemuck", the stuff that makes the floor sticky in a movie theater and "expresshole" that is a person who takes more than 15 items in an express lane at the grocery store. lol

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »
I use sniglets all the time. My two favorites are: "cinemuck", the stuff that makes the floor sticky in a movie theater and "expresshole" that is a person who takes more than 15 items in an express lane at the grocery store. lol

Excellent, I haven't talked to anyone in 20 years who knows what a sniglet is.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »
Excellent, I haven't talked to anyone in 20 years who knows what a sniglet is.

So sniglets are just a humorous/fun word for a portmanteau?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links