Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok, job interview next week  (Read 776 times)

• Liked: 674
Ok, job interview next week
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
The job duties: no problem. References: no problem. Hours to work: slighly more than I'd like, but I can do it. Pay: probably about what the duties are worth, for once.

I am assuming that, since this is a screening interview, if I've cleared it we would discuss terms afterwards if they contact me with an offer. Terms being a loose statement - they have said what the hours and pay is, so that's set.  I am a little concerned about when to bring up my auditory processing issue. If people do not speak clearly, or have really bad East Glasgow accents, I cannot understand them.  I had the same issue (sans East Glasgow) in the States, where it was kind of a non-issue as all I would have to say was "sorry, I have a little trouble hearing. Can you please repeat that again for me?"  I'm wondering if I should bring it up at all, and just deal with it OTJ as needed? It's not bad enough that I can't function in life, so I can't claim a disability. But it can impact my workday....

• Liked: 957
Re: Ok, job interview next week
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
So given my recent experiences, if it would impact your interview (ie - needing them to speak up) tell them before the interview. If you're offered the job and it would impact the job functions notify them before you start. Something as simple as turning down background music can help so much when you have an auditory issue!  Hopefully it's a non-issue here as well, but it's understandable that nothing can be assumed. :(

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
Ok, weirder still. This job was listed as full time. It is now changed to full-time temporary. I wrote to ask the length of the job, and they couldn't say - maybe six months, maybe an anticipated 9 months, but it could be possibly longer. They said they just don't know.

Well bummer, then. I need a job that lasts at least a year. Half time, fine. Three-quarters time, fine. Full time, I'd do. But it has to be for at least a freaking year so I will have worked in the UK for a year before ceasing economic activity at the end of three years and, thus, cut two years off the "normal" leave to remain process.

I guess I could move forward with this and if it's offered and I accept (and nothing better comes along) and it ends after six months, between now and the six months perhaps I could get something else lined up?  On the good side, it'd give me local references. On the bad side, it could be a total waste of my time if I can't line up something else to start immediately after this one ends. Plus, the money I'd earn would mean I have to suspend my social security payments, so I'd come out slightly less well-off finanically than sitting on my backside doing nothing.

Not sure I want to put in the effort of getting up and going to a drudge job all day every day for six to nine months, only to find out it won't serve my purposes.  :(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:14:47 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »
Dodged that bullet. They phoned, the job is not only temp now, it's no longer full time, only 17 hours a week. Would I still be interested?

Um, no. Not really. But at least they called in advance, rather than hitting me with that at the interview!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab