Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Houston, we have a problem...  (Read 4921 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Houston, we have a problem...
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 11:37:55 PM »
Definitely, I commute that far every single day for work right now.

I'm mostly worried about the price. Do they have like, a yearly pass or employment pass? I can't imagine that people who travel on the train/tube every day have to pay the fee every single day?

It often works out cheaper to pay daily but it depends on the circumstances. My husband pays £30 return cuz he only goes in one day a week, but if it was 5 days he'd probably get a pass. Even when he lived in London just using his oyster was cheaper than passes. England is expensive :(

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
You are doing the right thing staying put for six months.  I’d target having a career related job after 18-24 months realistically.  Hopefully less, but set expectations now. 

A one month Travelcard from Swindon to London is £907.  A year is £9,448.  Here’s to hoping you find something local!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 07:25:21 AM »
Given your arrival dates I would potentially jump right in rather than "rest up" - retail will be hiring for the Christmas period and, while it will be crazy, it'll get you some cash/work experience/rip the band-aid off that you aren't just visiting but are actually living here now.

Additionally, looks like there is a Science Museum in Swindon that is hiring now with applications closing 4 September for some roles. It would be worth at least trying to apply, using your future flat address, given how long the interview/hiring process takes. If you are changing jobs here, most people have 1, 3, up tp 6 months notice periods ( depending on seniority), which is usually factored into any decision, so I wouldnt worry about not being here to apply. You could get lucky, and an application costs nothing other than to ensure you have your UK resume polished and ready to go.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:29:20 AM by BertineC »

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Given your arrival dates I would potentially jump right in rather than "rest up" - retail will be hiring for the Christmas period and, while it will be crazy, it'll get you some cash/work experience/rip the band-aid off that you aren't just visiting but are actually living here now.

Additionally, looks like there is a Science Museum in Swindon that is hiring now with applications closing 4 September for some roles. It would be worth at least trying to apply, using your future flat address, given how long the interview/hiring process takes. If you are changing jobs here, most people have 1, 3, up tp 6 months notice periods ( depending on seniority), which is usually factored into any decision, so I wouldnt worry about not being here to apply. You could get lucky, and an application costs nothing other than to ensure you have your UK resume polished and ready to go.

This is really good advice.  And if an application asks for a NI number, just use two letters, six zeros, and another letter.  You ARE allowed to work before a NI number is issued, you’ll just be taxed at the highest rate until you get your number (then you’ll get a refund of the overpayment).

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »
If you do follow this excellent suggestion and attempt to apply now, be sure to make it clear in your communication that you will already be authorized to work when you arrive, and that they don't need to sponsor you. You're an easy choice.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• UK citizen as of Feb, 2019.
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
As a historian do you have any experience teaching history? Silly question but I was a teacher in the US and became a supply (substitute teacher) and was able to get placement immediately. The money isn’t great but it’s something coming, you can pick and choose when to work, and you might find it’s a job you enjoy. If you need more info let me know.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »
Sorry, just one more thing to follow up, you may also want to look more predominately at govt-supported jobs like the local council and regional councils as they are more likely to have applications that are "blinded" - they assess candidates predominately based on written responses rather than CVs, and tend to take out names, universities, etc. Wiltshire Council is hiring for a Conservator position now - and just to highlight the timeline - applications due 4 September, with interviews to take place on 19 September.

I would also suggest identifying your key industry associations here and understand what are the primary qualifications they may support or employers may look for. The Brits LOVE qualifications - the more letters they can stick behind their names the better, and it may help if you find that out first and work towards those if you have to work retail at the start.

• Liked: 250
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 12:42:45 AM »
As a historian do you have any experience teaching history? Silly question but I was a teacher in the US and became a supply (substitute teacher) and was able to get placement immediately. The money isn’t great but it’s something coming, you can pick and choose when to work, and you might find it’s a job you enjoy. If you need more info let me know.

I do not, I jumped right into a historical archives/museum immediately after receiving my masters, as that's what I got the degree for! I have experience as a tour guide, a curatorial assistant, and as a collections manager (artifact collection, not money collection LOL)

In a reply below, I explain my job history a little!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:52:07 AM by TeamTollie »
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »
Sorry, just one more thing to follow up, you may also want to look more predominately at govt-supported jobs like the local council and regional councils as they are more likely to have applications that are "blinded" - they assess candidates predominately based on written responses rather than CVs, and tend to take out names, universities, etc. Wiltshire Council is hiring for a Conservator position now - and just to highlight the timeline - applications due 4 September, with interviews to take place on 19 September.

I would also suggest identifying your key industry associations here and understand what are the primary qualifications they may support or employers may look for. The Brits LOVE qualifications - the more letters they can stick behind their names the better, and it may help if you find that out first and work towards those if you have to work retail at the start.

Thank you for the advice! If it's possible to do these online applications without a NI number....then I might very well do this. Did you find these openings on indeed.com? Or did you just do a general search? I am still figuring out how to even find job openings.

Confession: While in grad school, my internship ended up lasting much longer than intended, and it turned into my full time job. I had a full time job, benefits, and a pay raise before I even had the master's degree in my hand. I have a huge network back home, lots of letters of recommendation and loads of references. (I must LOVE my husband!!! ;) )

I am trying to remain positive that the jobs are there and I am qualified...I just am so lost about where to even begin. (Other than the few examples you showed me earlier) the museums I'd found in Swindon were either not hiring when I checked, or run by volunteers. I don't mind if the museum "isn't in my area of expertise" (I am an expert in disease history studies) and a Roman history enthusiast (learning Latin as we speak) I am just worried that my "expertise" might not be  good enough for them, or they'll wonder "why are you applying for a science museum if you have a degree in history?" That being said, my degree is in Public History which encompasses museums and archives, rather than academic history which focuses on teaching/book writing.

Starting Tuesday, I have the entire week off before my flight Leaves on 4 September. If I can have any sort of shot, I'll take it.

That being said, as of now I have an American phone number that will deactivate on 6 Sept. Me and my husband are taking a small trip to France Sept 6-8, so I won't have a UK phone number until after that. Should I just put my husband's on the application?

Additionally, we're traveling to Kent from 15-18 September to finish up our wedding details (Got married here, big wedding is 13 October) so any jobs with interviews that weekend might be an issue as we've already set these appointments...However, the example you gave has interviews for the 19th.

Trying to stay positive and not drag myself into an anxiety ridden mess....! It's rough to give up your full time job, network and connections but it is what it is.

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 12:50:51 AM »
This is really good advice.  And if an application asks for a NI number, just use two letters, six zeros, and another letter.  You ARE allowed to work before a NI number is issued, you’ll just be taxed at the highest rate until you get your number (then you’ll get a refund of the overpayment).

Do you mean make up numbers? I am not sure what you mean! Without a NI#, how could I complete the application? Hopefully they wouldn't over look me due to that...

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
Do you mean make up numbers? I am not sure what you mean! Without a NI#, how could I complete the application? Hopefully they wouldn't over look me due to that...

Yes, I would put something that is obviously incorrect.  Such as , AA000000A.  Then if an open text area is available, state that you are currently awaiting for your NI number to arrive but have full working rights in the UK.  Only if it’s an application that requires a NI number to move to the next screen.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »
VERY late to the party as was away this weekend and I haven't read all the responses yet, but just wanted to quickly say that I would start applying to those big girl jobs ASAP as opposed to getting something else short term. Sign on to the 6 months lease if you can deal with a little bit of inconvenience as it appears the commute from Swindon to London Paddington is around about an hour on the train (which is standard commute for a lot of people over here - some of us just get very lucky).  If, in future, you work in London and you can move somewhere towards the middle of both your commutes, that'll help so he won't have to completely change jobs (unless he wants to?) but make the commute a bit easier for you as well.

Just remember that the later in the year it gets, the worse it is for hiring because of the holiday periods. Do you have any contacts that may know people in museums over here that you could network with??
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Yes, use your husband's phone number for now.  If he has a landline, you could also use that number.  It's probably more important that you use a valid email address, these days.  I think that's how most communication is conducted now, at least until you get to the final stages of coordinating interviews and/or sorting out hiring details.

Do you have any contacts that may know people in museums over here that you could network with??

KoD asks a good question... does Maddy know anybody who could put you in contact with potential employers?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
Yes, use your husband's phone number for now.  If he has a landline, you could also use that number.  It's probably more important that you use a valid email address, these days.  I think that's how most communication is conducted now, at least until you get to the final stages of coordinating interviews and/or sorting out hiring details.

KoD asks a good question... does Maddy know anybody who could put you in contact with potential employers?

Even just being able to reach out to a person and say something like "I used to work with so-and-so and advised you might be the best person to speak to regarding any potential job listings?". This shows that you have a person willing to vouch for you AND the fact that it's a familiar face to the person you're reaching out to in one way or another might make them more likely to read through your CV, even if it's just out of courtesy.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 387
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
(I am an expert in disease history studies)

Sounds interesting.  Along these lines?

https://wellcomecollection.org/

Sponsored Links