Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Houston, we have a problem...  (Read 4923 times)

• Liked: 387
Re: Houston, we have a problem...
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

• Liked: 85
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
Maybe just join the Museums Association -- https://www.museumsassociation.org/home -- and use the settling-in period to attend their events and whatnot. Seems like a lot of networking on offer there (not to mention they have a jobs site that's members-only).

• Liked: 250
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
VERY late to the party as was away this weekend and I haven't read all the responses yet, but just wanted to quickly say that I would start applying to those big girl jobs ASAP as opposed to getting something else short term. Sign on to the 6 months lease if you can deal with a little bit of inconvenience as it appears the commute from Swindon to London Paddington is around about an hour on the train (which is standard commute for a lot of people over here - some of us just get very lucky).  If, in future, you work in London and you can move somewhere towards the middle of both your commutes, that'll help so he won't have to completely change jobs (unless he wants to?) but make the commute a bit easier for you as well.

Just remember that the later in the year it gets, the worse it is for hiring because of the holiday periods. Do you have any contacts that may know people in museums over here that you could network with??

That's okay, I've been so grateful for ever reply, no matter when it comes!!

I'll start applying ASAP...at least once I can. I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that we're taking a small mini-moon literally the day after I arrive (and get my BRP) so getting my NI# has to wait until we return from that. The weekend after that, we're driving back to Kent to attend a few wedding appointments (yay!) so I'll probably be able to gather my bearings and sit down and begin applying in a couple week after I land!

Unfortunately, I don't really have any connections here. Tom's sister is a History PhD student, so SHE might have some connections, but as of now since she's still in university it makes it a bit hard. Additionally, her uni is about 2 hours from where we're living, so that commute might be a bit rough. I don't mind a temporary commute, but it's mainly the $$$ I'm worried about...I worry about money so much D:

He is okay with leaving his job but he doesn't really want to, he loves it. He said he would do it if we had to but I know he'd rather stay. I'm going to do my best to get a job as locally as possible, but I also don't want to settle in a job I don't really want, at least not permanently. I know I can't be very picky at first, but once I get some UK experience and I get adjusted, I will be picky! :p

That being said, I don't have just me to think about anymore! I don't want him to settle in a new job that he's not content with just so I can have my dream job, that isn't fair. So it really boils down to he and I compromising and being grown adults and talking about things when the time comes. If I didn't think that was possible, I wouldn't have married him ;)!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
Yes, use your husband's phone number for now.  If he has a landline, you could also use that number.  It's probably more important that you use a valid email address, these days.  I think that's how most communication is conducted now, at least until you get to the final stages of coordinating interviews and/or sorting out hiring details.

KoD asks a good question... does Maddy know anybody who could put you in contact with potential employers?

I replied to KoD's reply below!

I have his number for most of my stuff right now. Once I get my own in the UK I'll switch to mine!! My e-mail address is valid! I use it for everything :)

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:19 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Along these lines?

https://wellcomecollection.org/

Yes, EXACTLY along those lines. I've been to that museum twice, and it's on my list of "potential employers" <--that's me trying to be positive! LOL

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Maybe just join the Museums Association -- https://www.museumsassociation.org/home -- and use the settling-in period to attend their events and whatnot. Seems like a lot of networking on offer there (not to mention they have a jobs site that's members-only).

Ohhhh I'm going to save this link....thank you very much!

• Liked: 958
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
I think you are underestimating both how hard it is to find a job and how slow the hiring process is. Your plans likely won't interfere with it, but given there are opportunities closing applicants on the 4th I would really encourage you to apply and modify some of those if needed for interviews. Keep an open mind and take all the interviews and connections you can get! Waiting to apply will only set you back further...

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
That's okay, I've been so grateful for ever reply, no matter when it comes!!

I'll start applying ASAP...at least once I can. I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that we're taking a small mini-moon literally the day after I arrive (and get my BRP) so getting my NI# has to wait until we return from that. The weekend after that, we're driving back to Kent to attend a few wedding appointments (yay!) so I'll probably be able to gather my bearings and sit down and begin applying in a couple week after I land!

Unfortunately, I don't really have any connections here. Tom's sister is a History PhD student, so SHE might have some connections, but as of now since she's still in university it makes it a bit hard. Additionally, her uni is about 2 hours from where we're living, so that commute might be a bit rough. I don't mind a temporary commute, but it's mainly the $$$ I'm worried about...I worry about money so much D:

He is okay with leaving his job but he doesn't really want to, he loves it. He said he would do it if we had to but I know he'd rather stay. I'm going to do my best to get a job as locally as possible, but I also don't want to settle in a job I don't really want, at least not permanently. I know I can't be very picky at first, but once I get some UK experience and I get adjusted, I will be picky! :p

That being said, I don't have just me to think about anymore! I don't want him to settle in a new job that he's not content with just so I can have my dream job, that isn't fair. So it really boils down to he and I compromising and being grown adults and talking about things when the time comes. If I didn't think that was possible, I wouldn't have married him ;)!

Enjoy your mini-moon first and foremost :) Getting the NIN is relatively easy from what I remember and you should be able to apply for jobs without a NIN (as I got hired before I had mine fully sorted out I believe). Not sure if it's the same in every workplace or if I just got really lucky (as my first company didn't even need me to have a NIN right away...They supplied me with one and then I gave them the update information as soon as I received it in the post.) Worked out well! Don't discount applying before you have a NIN if possible (not sure if you were, but just in case) :)

HMS Seahorse made a good suggestion to join that museum association link. If they have networking events, it might be a really good idea to network as much as possible as it could really pay off! You give off a very good impression of yourself (at least on here, from what I can see) so I'm sure it would totally work to your benefit to get involved as much as possible in that community. Even though his sister is a 2 hour drive a way, is there a chance that she has connections that might have connections elsewhere (such as in London?). Are there any online forums you could look to join to become active in outside of the one HMS linked? You never know where you might meet somebody who you can network with job-wise so it's a numbers game really and best to get out there as much as possible (kind of like dating haha)

I have no doubt that the two of you will be able to effectively communicate your way through this as you both sound like you've been going through all the right motions thus far. I don't know how far away from the train station you are in Swindon and driving would be a pain (but driving ANYWHERE in London is a pain - total exaggeration LOL), but if you're nearby to the train station and hour commute isn't tooooo bad depending on how close to Paddington your work will be. It can be extra sh*tty on bad days or train strike days, but it should hopefully be manageable if you had to do it.

best of luck!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:28 PM »
I'm afraid that if she applies for jobs in England while in America, she will be TOTALLY ignored.  Every IT job advertised is swamped with hundreds of people in India who totally could do the job if they just had a visa, to the point that there are all kinds of barriers to stop you applying from outside the UK.  I wouldn't say don't try, but don't let it discourage you.

If you are looking for something to do while waiting, look into volunteering at a National Trust property.  Every employee knows the National Trust and it will go some way to making you seem more of a legit employee from a UK prospective.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 06:39:23 PM »
I'm afraid that if she applies for jobs in England while in America, she will be TOTALLY ignored.  Every IT job advertised is swamped with hundreds of people in India who totally could do the job if they just had a visa, to the point that there are all kinds of barriers to stop you applying from outside the UK.  I wouldn't say don't try, but don't let it discourage you.

If you are looking for something to do while waiting, look into volunteering at a National Trust property.  Every employee knows the National Trust and it will go some way to making you seem more of a legit employee from a UK prospective.

Yeah I would be weary of applying before moving only because you don't want them to ignore it for that reason and then not want to review if you re-submit when you're actually over here. I would do your research of where you want to apply/what roles you want to apply for that are open (and will be open when you're here) and then just spam them all with the updated info once you arrive here! It can totally be a numbers game sometimes.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 56
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Yeah - what Margo said. The difference between the UK and US in those terms is slooooowwwww. I also underestimated and it took me a year from landing to actually starting, and my partner about 7 months. A lot of close calls but that was an extremely frustrating year. Even when I went to my second job the only reason it went as fast as it did (< 6 weeks) is because I had someone very high-up recommend me and this is not even CLOSE to my dream job but given circumstances at the time and London costs, here we are.

I found those jobs by typing in "museum jobs Swindon" into google. Indeed came up with those listings, but I would also see what is available on LinkedIn - a lot of other roles seem to have moved on to LI. Heritage is another word used here that isnt in the US. To find jobs I would use Professional Association websites first, then Linked in, then Indeed. University of Leicester has a Museums JobsBoard too. Here are some more professional associations:

http://www.londonmuseumsgroup.org/resources/

Personally, I would make up two resumes - one for museum jobs that may be heavy on the museum jargon, and one for broader cultural management/administration jobs that shows your ability to manage a project, manage stakeholders, etc, regardless of if its in a museum or not. The NERC is hiring in Swindon and they are looking for folks with admin skills and experience; it may  not be museums, but itll get your foot in the door and you can start building experience at least. You have a very narrow career focus to date - to give yourself the best chance of success you will want to broaden your search a bit by identifying those transferable skills. Also - I havent found UK/US resumes to be very different - I use the same one, but the UK one has UK spelling, information on my work status at the top in black italics, and I have only highlighted relevant work areas (oh, and added an interest and hobbies section which they seem to like here for some reason).

Finally - I can't say I have ever seen a job application requiring my NI number - they will only care about your work number as the NI can get sorted later (in fact, when I worked my first job here in the late 90s I took off the morning about a week in to go get it done). Its not like a SSN.

I know its really scary looking for a new job and its even more scary looking for a job in a place where you know no-one, how the rules work, etc. Itll be painful and no one wants to go through that. But you can't learn the ropes until you start applying and looking and getting documents set up, potential sources identified, etc. A job is almost like the last gateway that you are fully resident (ok, maybe a bank account is too - at least in this country).

• Liked: 56
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »

But if she uses his (soon to be hers) flat address and phone number details on the application, and is physically here when the period closes, why not?

• Liked: 958
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »

I don't think that will be an issue as she has the visa, and has UK based numbers and addresses to provide. My husband bought me a SIM before I moved so I had my number to put on applications. I ended up bringing my job with me for stability since we knew we were moving, but I did get in touch with a few recruiters ahead of time and my applications went through. If I were to do it again, I'd focus on job hunting a whole lot more than I did right after moving.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
Yeah - what Margo said. The difference between the UK and US in those terms is slooooowwwww. I also underestimated and it took me a year from landing to actually starting, and my partner about 7 months. A lot of close calls but that was an extremely frustrating year. Even when I went to my second job the only reason it went as fast as it did (< 6 weeks) is because I had someone very high-up recommend me and this is not even CLOSE to my dream job but given circumstances at the time and London costs, here we are.

I found those jobs by typing in "museum jobs Swindon" into google. Indeed came up with those listings, but I would also see what is available on LinkedIn - a lot of other roles seem to have moved on to LI. Heritage is another word used here that isnt in the US. To find jobs I would use Professional Association websites first, then Linked in, then Indeed. University of Leicester has a Museums JobsBoard too. Here are some more professional associations:

http://www.londonmuseumsgroup.org/resources/

Personally, I would make up two resumes - one for museum jobs that may be heavy on the museum jargon, and one for broader cultural management/administration jobs that shows your ability to manage a project, manage stakeholders, etc, regardless of if its in a museum or not. The NERC is hiring in Swindon and they are looking for folks with admin skills and experience; it may  not be museums, but itll get your foot in the door and you can start building experience at least. You have a very narrow career focus to date - to give yourself the best chance of success you will want to broaden your search a bit by identifying those transferable skills. Also - I havent found UK/US resumes to be very different - I use the same one, but the UK one has UK spelling, information on my work status at the top in black italics, and I have only highlighted relevant work areas (oh, and added an interest and hobbies section which they seem to like here for some reason).

Finally - I can't say I have ever seen a job application requiring my NI number - they will only care about your work number as the NI can get sorted later (in fact, when I worked my first job here in the late 90s I took off the morning about a week in to go get it done). Its not like a SSN.

I know its really scary looking for a new job and its even more scary looking for a job in a place where you know no-one, how the rules work, etc. Itll be painful and no one wants to go through that. But you can't learn the ropes until you start applying and looking and getting documents set up, potential sources identified, etc. A job is almost like the last gateway that you are fully resident (ok, maybe a bank account is too - at least in this country).
As a recent transplant, I can assure you that many online applications will not let you submit your application without submitting your NIN. But I would do as instructed above, AA000000A, and you can provide the actual number upon request.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
Thank you all for the sound advice. I'm doing my best to get my emotions sorted and I would like to finish out my job here before I start applying in the UK. I've hardly said goodbye here. I really did not want to apply from the US-I just need a minute to breathe. We will be doing our mini-moon and then traveling back to Kent the week after. I don't think 2 weeks will set me back too much if the process is as long as you all say (which I believe it is, I trust ya'll!)  I need to be in a good mental state too before I start actively searching for my career job in this new country! I think I'm going to just gather my bearings, polish my CV this week, move and get my BRP, go on our mini moon, take a second to breathe in Swindon, go to Kent and finish our wedding details, then begin applying. This will all happen in the next couple weeks. I don't want to wait months to begin looking, honestly, I would get bored anyway. 1-2 weeks tops. I just need a moment to gather my emotions. I hardly know how I'm feeling right now, and stressing about the job search is making it worse.

You guys are awesome, and I appreciate ya'll not sugar coating things! Me and Tom have discussed it, and we both think this is a good way to go. Thankfully, since we just signed onto another 6 months we've got time to think about it, and we can afford the current apartment, so we aren't absolutely desperate for me to find a job the day I arrive. That being said, I'm going to start looking now, applying in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for all of the advice everyone <3

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab