Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Houston, we have a problem...  (Read 4889 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Houston, we have a problem...
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
But if her letters says "from August 18th", and she's not arriving until September 4th or 5th, surely, it'll be there...?  That's almost three weeks from the date in her letter.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
But if her letters says "from August 18th", and she's not arriving until September 4th or 5th, surely, it'll be there...?  That's almost three weeks from the date in her letter.

Totally agree.

Tillie, you take all the time you need to get your bearings and start the job hunt.  Moving is INCREDIBLY overwhelming.  As I’ve said before, be kind to yourself and don’t put any undo pressure on you or your marriage.  Relish in just being together for a bit.  Jobs can wait.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
Ohhhh I'm going to save this link....thank you very much!

No worries. One of the best things about the UK is that Museum Twitter is a very real and very active space. Also, I did a little poking, and there's also support for 'emerging museum professionals': https://ukemp.com/

And also this: https://www.britishcouncil.gr/en/programmes/arts/cultural-skills/transforming-future-museums/museum-professionals-network

There are a lot of resources here. So breathe, deal with getting yourself on a plane, then dive in. Hiring can be slow here, and The Month of Xmas is imminent, but there are obviously plenty of ways to make the time off productive (whichhhh is something I identify with, as a lifestyle, even though I know it is also good to relax).

• Liked: 250
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2018, 10:46:13 PM »

That's what I thought! I chose Sept 4 for a few reasons. 1. I needed time to finish out my time at work. 2. I didn't want to leave immediately...I had a lot of things to take care of.  and 3. I wanted to go in the middle of my travel dates...I had August 18-September 18 or something along those lines. It gave me plenty of time to finish up my stuff here, and still have loads of time in the UK to deal with my BRP
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
Totally agree.

Tillie, you take all the time you need to get your bearings and start the job hunt.  Moving is INCREDIBLY overwhelming.  As I’ve said before, be kind to yourself and don’t put any undo pressure on you or your marriage.  Relish in just being together for a bit.  Jobs can wait.

Thanks KF <3

I've been looking into jobs for a couple years now....actually applying is a whole other story! It's so intimidating...yet so thrilling to finally begin my life, with my husband in my favorite country!! EEK!

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
No worries. One of the best things about the UK is that Museum Twitter is a very real and very active space. Also, I did a little poking, and there's also support for 'emerging museum professionals': https://ukemp.com/

And also this: https://www.britishcouncil.gr/en/programmes/arts/cultural-skills/transforming-future-museums/museum-professionals-network

There are a lot of resources here. So breathe, deal with getting yourself on a plane, then dive in. Hiring can be slow here, and The Month of Xmas is imminent, but there are obviously plenty of ways to make the time off productive (whichhhh is something I identify with, as a lifestyle, even though I know it is also good to relax).

You are wonderful!! Thanks so much. I've been working on a novel for a year now, and studying Latin so I've got plenty of hobbies that don't require the US...I'll keep myself busy while Tom's at work, and while I transition/job search!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »
That's what I thought! I chose Sept 4 for a few reasons. 1. I needed time to finish out my time at work. 2. I didn't want to leave immediately...I had a lot of things to take care of.  and 3. I wanted to go in the middle of my travel dates...I had August 18-September 18 or something along those lines. It gave me plenty of time to finish up my stuff here, and still have loads of time in the UK to deal with my BRP
Sorry I missed that!

ETA: I have the visa section turned off and I don't visit it, it gets a bit too repetitive for me. KFDancer Ksand and Larrabee are saints. I check it periodically to see if any big changes have happened with ILR but that's it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:56:36 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »
You are wonderful!! Thanks so much. I've been working on a novel for a year now, and studying Latin so I've got plenty of hobbies that don't require the US...I'll keep myself busy while Tom's at work, and while I transition/job search!

You and London are going to get on like a house on fire.

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
You and London are going to get on like a house on fire.

I remember the first time I traveled to London. It was in 2012 for a trip with my university. I just remember stepping out and breathing the England air for the first time. I felt at home and I've never been the same since.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
I remember the first time I traveled to London. It was in 2012 for a trip with my university. I just remember stepping out and breathing the England air for the first time. I felt at home and I've never been the same since.

The air outside of London is a lot nicer!  ;)

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »

It just clicks for some. London is a particularly tricky beast. But sometimes I'm pretty sure it's my one true love.

Off-topic-ish: have you seen this?!? https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting/event/visit-to-the-sheffield-hospitals-archive-room-at-the-northern-general-hospi

(I'm in medical stuff-ish, so this is my bag. Plus, Sheffield is a bit all right.)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
It just clicks for some. London is a particularly tricky beast. But sometimes I'm pretty sure it's my one true love.

Off-topic-ish: have you seen this?!? https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting/event/visit-to-the-sheffield-hospitals-archive-room-at-the-northern-general-hospi

(I'm in medical stuff-ish, so this is my bag. Plus, Sheffield is a bit all right.)
Sheffield even has TWO Taco Bells!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »
Sheffield even has TWO Taco Bells!

That's two more than so many other places in the country!! hahah

But there are still zero baja blasts there :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 387
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
The air outside of London is a lot nicer!  ;)

You know you are a true Londoner when you realize you want to move out of London so you can breathe easier.  ;)

(then realize you can't because you couldn't afford the season ticket prices for those oh-so-reliable trains that never strike)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab