Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I Really Miss The Following Things:  (Read 3287 times)

• Bless your heart ♥
  • Liked: 43
I Really Miss The Following Things:
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
First off, I'm from Tennessee. So let my Southern Heritage sink into your souls. Bless y'all's hearts.
Also, PSA I'm just taking this time to moan. I really love it here, so please don't misunderstand me.

QUESO. I effing love Mexican food and why tf hasn't Latin America made it's debut here yet? God. I could probably drown myself in queso, not even playing.

Speaking of cheese...where's some of the great Italiano cheese I love like Asiago or Provolone?! I can't have a cheesesteak without provolone, that's just WRONG. Not that cheesesteaks are a thing here, but whatevs. I could make if I had frickin provolone.

Jif extra crunchy peanut butter. I don't know what the obsession here is with over sweetening EVERYTHING or not putting salt into anything but it's killin me, you guys. The only pb I've found that's even remotely close to Jif is Reese peanut butter and not only is it expensive as all get out, but it's smooth.  :\\\'(

Grape flavored things. I can't stand black currant. I bought a bag of Skittles for a road trip, not realizing that the dang purple ones weren't grape. For a country that loves wine, grape flavouring is NOWHERE. good on me for bringing about 500 packets of grape Kool-Aid with me.

American lemonade. Specifically, Country Time pink lemonade that's so sweet you can feel yourself getting diabetes as you drink it. God.

I miss being able to go into Walgreens. Boots is close, but doesn't have the makeup selection. And if I ask where to find anti-itch eyedrops, I don't need to answer 500 questions and be told I have pink eye, when all I want is to be pointed to the correct aisle. I have seasonal allergies. Not temporary hayfever. (I really hate that word btw) And definitely not conjunctivitis.

I miss having more stores open on Sundays past 4pm.

I miss having an outlet in my bathroom.

I miss having a job that actually utilized my skills instead of working as a receptionist and making hot drinks.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I miss clothing sizes that make sense. I am constantly confused as to clothing sizes and they're different in every single place. I'm an 18-20 in the US and anywhere from a 20-24 here or maybe even just an xl depending on the shop (I'm looking at you, Primark underwear) or plus sizes are just not available (TK Maxx...wtf). I also wear a size 11 US shoe and you know what? I think  that NOBODY in the UK has large feet.  :-\\\\ It's really annoying. I don't understand tights sizing here. Underwear sizes are all over the place. At least larger bras are available most places and in a range of colors more than beige. I could go on about this topic for awhile.

I miss air conditioning when it's warm. Especially at night. Trying to sleep while sweating through your knickers is just unpleasant.

I miss night sounds. It's dead silent here at night other than traffic from the motorway. There's no frogs or crickets or cicadas. Nothing. And it's impossible to see the stars at night most of the time due to cloud cover/light pollution. And it just never seems to get actually dark.

I miss storms. I could have been a storm chaser in another life and where I lived in TN was in Tornado Alley. While I don't miss tornadoes, per say, I DO miss an all out gullywasher full of lightning and thunder tearing up the sky.

I miss not having to interact with neighbors. Our house is detached which helps some, but I really don't want to listen to my next door- on her mobile at 645 am when she decides to go out in the garden and talk at the top of her shrieky voice directly under our bedroom window.

I've experienced quite a lot of American-prejudice. The idea that we're all stupid, self-centered, entitled a**holes who treat the world as if it owes us something...or that we're all best good friends with Donald Trump.... it's just...really tiring sometimes. And for the record, I have witnessed American tourists in some places in Europe that are absolute pains and I totally understand why the concept of us is what it is. Plus, apparently things on TV are taken quite a bit more seriously than one would imagine. I don't know how to describe exactly what I'm talking about, but it seems more prevalent in the workforce. One the other hand, I've also been mistaken a lot for Canadian cause I make myself over-correct on anything that has the long 'i' sound in it (my drawl is something else  ???)

I miss being able to find 'rustic' Christmas decorations. Tinsel (what I call garland) should be outlawed as it's absolutely hideous.

I miss Halloween. And Thanksgiving.

I miss having proper buttermilk. I can't make a damn biscuit with this thick crap here or pancakes worth a flitter. Plus it's too sweet.

I also miss dried bags of pinto beans, cornmeal to make cornbread, apple butter, honey mustard, honey butter, breaded okra,  and Idaho potatoes.

I miss having a keyboard that my fingers don't constantly mistype things on.

sigh. I could go on and on.

What's some things you guys miss from the States (or wherever you called home)?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:09:34 PM by Rosechassit »
USA
Documents returned-Me approved, Daughter rejected: 09/10/2017
Moved to UK w/ spouse visa: 13/10/2017
Custody order finalized: 24/7/2018
DD online submission: 03/8/2018
Biometrics done: 16/8/2018
Application mailed: 21/8/2018
App Received email: 24/8/2018
Request for IHS Pymt: 28/8/2018
Decision Made: 21/9/2018
Doc received: 24/9/2018- DD APPROVED!

• Liked: 1327
Re: I Really Miss The Following Things:
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
I have Jif PB! I think I had my choice of crunchy or smooth when I bought it, but I prefer smooth so that's what I have.  The important thing is it's Jif.  I got it from Ocado, which is primarily supplied by Waitrose.  So, check Waitrose.  I didn't realize it was hard to find.  I let my husband eat most of it because I'm allergic to peanuts, so I can only have it when he's not looking.  ( ;) )  Now, maybe I regret "wasting" so much if it's not commonly sold over here...  :(

I completely agree about the added sweet/lack of salt.  My first tin of green beans over here was a shock.  I could not understand why they tasted so bland.  It didn't take too much salt to "fix" them, but it really made me sad (I tried to replicate my mom's American-convenience tuna noodle casserole one night not long after I moved here, when I was feeling a bit on the homesick side; the noodles were wrong, the UK doesn't have condensed cream-of-whatever soup as a thing, and the green beans didn't have salt... the whole thing was a complete disaster, and it gave my husband no end of ammunition to criticize American "cuisine").  I don't see mention of pickles, but that's where the added sugar thing is the worst!

I miss the plethora of hobby, craft and fabric shops I had my pick of in the US.  I miss affordable access to different types of wood than just "white wood" (usually pine, but might also be fir) or oak.  I miss soooooo many foods that I can't even think of them all.  I just know if I ever do go back to visit, I won't fit on the plane to come home.  :P

I would murder a cheesesteak.  Rumor is provolone might be found at an Italian deli, if you live near a city that has one.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
I can't stand black currant. I bought a bag of Skittles for a road trip, not realizing that the dang purple ones weren't grape.

The first purple Skittle is a startling moment! And it makes eating them in a dark theatre like playing Russian roulette.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
and the green beans didn't have salt

Well your first problem is putting green beans in tuna casserole! Green peas!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Cicadas!  Nothing like em.  And Lightning Bugs!!!  I think my husband thinks I’m telling porkies with lightening bugs.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
Cicadas!  Nothing like em.  And Lightning Bugs!!!  I think my husband thinks I’m telling porkies with lightening bugs.

I remember lightening bugs... (wistful sigh)

(though I did accidentally cause the death of several because I put them in a jar with a praying mantis, thinking they would all be friends - they were friends alright, but it was definitely a one-sided relationship)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »
Testify Rosechassit, these things need to be said.  Although underwear really isn't that big of a problem.  But black current is not grape, and there are no storms to speak of, and you are lucky to ever see the stars, and every single item of food is loaded with sugar.  Sweet Chilli is a disgusting flavor and chicken does not need sugar.  Neither does Lamb.

France has many of the things you speak of, Crickets and stars and lightening bugs.  Too bad they also have so many French people.  At leas the French don't do the "Are you Canadian?" thing that I hate sooo much.  I always ask them in return if they are from Gibraltar.   After all , if somebody was actually from Gibraltar, you wouldn't want to hurt their feeling by implying that they have a British accent would you?

JF Kimberley, I can get condensed cream of chicken and mushroom in my supermarket. Just norml tesco, hidden in the canned soups.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
JF Kimberley, I can get condensed cream of chicken and mushroom in my supermarket. Just norml tesco, hidden in the canned soups.

Hmm... if I was still trying to make my old American-style casseroles, I'd look into this.  But too many elements aren't right here (egg noodles = finding a Polish market?), green beans need salt added to them... Out of the four "ingredients", the only one I could readily obtain is tuna.  And now, maybe the condensed soup.  But it's okay, because I mostly cook from real food now.  I've adapted to my food life here... mostly.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »

I miss having proper buttermilk. I can't make a damn biscuit with this thick crap here or pancakes worth a flitter. Plus it's too sweet.

My mom used to "sour milk" with vinegar to make buttermilk as it wasn't something we had and we were lazy sometimes. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 06:49:09 PM »
Out of the four "ingredients", the only one I could readily obtain is tuna. 

And the tuna won't be right either, as it's not albacore.
I have found albacore here occasionally, but it's rare, so when I do find it, I buy loads!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
My Tesco sells Jif peanut butter but I can't remember if it is extra crunchy or smooth. But I can't justify spending £2.40 on a small jar. I've been buying the natural crunchy, no sugar added kind and adding my own sea salt. It makes a huge difference.

I've seen the provolone at an Italian deli in Edinburgh so if you have one close by, it's worth a look. I've also seen it in Tenerife so if you go on holiday anywhere in the EU, it's worth looking so you can bring some home with you.

I miss Diet cream soda. And diet root beer. I add heavy cream to it and omg, so delicious!

I can get diet A&W when I go to the Mexican market in Edinburgh and Glasgow.  But I'm not there very often.

I found real queso cheese at Lidl during Iberico month. I've got a block in the freezer, I ate one already and I've got one more in the fridge.

I miss biscuits. And peppered sausage gravy.

Italian sausage, peppers and onions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
My Tesco sells Jif peanut butter but I can't remember if it is extra crunchy or smooth. But I can't justify spending £2.40 on a small jar. I've been buying the natural crunchy, no sugar added kind and adding my own sea salt. It makes a huge difference.

I've seen the provolone at an Italian deli in Edinburgh so if you have one close by, it's worth a look. I've also seen it in Tenerife so if you go on holiday anywhere in the EU, it's worth looking so you can bring some home with you.

I miss Diet cream soda. And diet root beer. I add heavy cream to it and omg, so delicious!

I can get diet A&W when I go to the Mexican market in Edinburgh and Glasgow.  But I'm not there very often.

I found real queso cheese at Lidl during Iberico month. I've got a block in the freezer, I ate one already and I've got one more in the fridge.

I miss biscuits. And peppered sausage gravy.

Italian sausage, peppers and onions.

I can give you an easy recipe to make your own Italian Sausage.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
I love your post... Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not living there just yet but even in my times visiting, I miss certain things.

Like, I really miss buttered popcorn (with extra butter) at the cinema aka movie theater. I don't want no sweet popcorn, dammit.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 768
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
I love your post... Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not living there just yet but even in my times visiting, I miss certain things.

Like, I really miss buttered popcorn (with extra butter) at the cinema aka movie theater. I don't want no sweet popcorn, dammit.
I've never been to a movie here. They don't sell buttered popcorn?

And yes Rick, give me your sausage recipe. Does it have fennel? Please say it has fennel!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »
I've never been to a movie here. They don't sell buttered popcorn?

And yes Rick, give me your sausage recipe. Does it have fennel? Please say it has fennel!

Not buttered... just salty. But mostly only have the sweet. And I don't think it's fresh popped either. It's shipped in in big bags.  :-\\\\
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab