Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello :)  (Read 2665 times)

• Liked: 2
Hello :)
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I met my English boyfriend at the Women's Euros in the Netherlands last July. We're working towards getting engaged/married and the plan is for me to move from Minnesota to Yorkshire. A Google search turned up Mindy's wonderful post about things to think about before moving to the UK and I decided this would be a great group to join. Thanks to Mindy and the others for a great list of things to think about! Hopefully in future, I'll be able to repay the advice in kind.

As for me, I grew up in Minnesota and have lived in various places in the US. I also lived in Australia for a study abroad. I know I'll miss the Minnesota winters. Yes. I'm completely serious. I am looking forward to seeing real football on television and in person, rowing and cycling year-round, re-learning to safely cross the street, and endlessly asking people to repeat themselves and explain things as I'm sure I'll be totally confused a good amount of the time. At least I'll have football and mathematics!

Cheers,
Adrienne

• Liked: 6110
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 06:12:56 AM »
Hi Adrienne, welcome to the forum!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
Hi, and welcome!

My dad grew up in Minnesota, and then I was brought up in California.  All I ever wanted to try as a kid was ice skating, but my dad refused to pay actual money for me to go to an ice skating rink, because when he was a kid he could just skate on the frozen pond at the park beside his house for free.  I was 18 before I had the means to take myself ice skating.  I loved it!  After imagining it for 18 years, I put on my rental skates, stepped out onto the ice, and just glided away like I'd been doing it my whole life.

That is my Minnesota story.  (Actually, I went there for one or two weeks every summer to visit relatives, so I have many Minnesota stories, but that's the first one I thought of when I saw "Minnesota winters".)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »
Hello Adrienne!

Yorkshire is stunningly beautiful. 

Welcome!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
I know I'll miss the Minnesota winters. Yes. I'm completely serious.

I believe you! I'm from Wisconsin and after 10 years in the UK I sometimes feel like I'd give anything for a proper winter. You might get some snow every six or seven years in Yorkshire, but it won't be the same!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
Hi welcome to the Site hope u end up enjoying the UK. I really missed the hot summers when I first moved to the UK but now after being here for like 16 years I feel I’ve gotten used to the climate and actually enjoy the UKs more moderate summer !!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi, and welcome!

My dad grew up in Minnesota, and then I was brought up in California.  All I ever wanted to try as a kid was ice skating, but my dad refused to pay actual money for me to go to an ice skating rink, because when he was a kid he could just skate on the frozen pond at the park beside his house for free.  I was 18 before I had the means to take myself ice skating.  I loved it!  After imagining it for 18 years, I put on my rental skates, stepped out onto the ice, and just glided away like I'd been doing it my whole life.

That is my Minnesota story.  (Actually, I went there for one or two weeks every summer to visit relatives, so I have many Minnesota stories, but that's the first one I thought of when I saw "Minnesota winters".)

Oh no! Old habits die hard! I'm glad you decided to try skating when you had the means and loved it! :D Did you ever buy yourself lessons? Did you ever make it to the State Fair?

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
I believe you! I'm from Wisconsin and after 10 years in the UK I sometimes feel like I'd give anything for a proper winter. You might get some snow every six or seven years in Yorkshire, but it won't be the same!

My boyfriend first visited me in MN in January. As you well know, that's true love! [smiley=laugh4.gif]  He sent me some pictures of snow in Yorkshire. It was pretty sparse! I'll have to make sure to save up for winter vacations back in MN!

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
Hi welcome to the Site hope u end up enjoying the UK. I really missed the hot summers when I first moved to the UK but now after being here for like 16 years I feel I’ve gotten used to the climate and actually enjoy the UKs more moderate summer !!

I am very much looking forward to moderate summers!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »

My boyfriend first visited me in MN in January. As you well know, that's true love! [smiley=laugh4.gif]  He sent me some pictures of snow in Yorkshire. It was pretty sparse! I'll have to make sure to save up for winter vacations back in MN!

My husband came during the first "polar vortex" to spend a long weekend in Toronto and see niagara falls before some cozy avoiding the outside time in WNY. True love for sure!

You could also visit any of the nordic countries during the winter to get your fill of cold and snow. Or the alps. Lots of options nearby that might be a bit of an adventure as well!

Welcome to the board :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :D

More than willing to give you any bits of winter that come my way! heh
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »
My husband came during the first "polar vortex" to spend a long weekend in Toronto and see niagara falls before some cozy avoiding the outside time in WNY. True love for sure!

You could also visit any of the nordic countries during the winter to get your fill of cold and snow. Or the alps. Lots of options nearby that might be a bit of an adventure as well!

Welcome to the board :)

Wow! Polar vortex 1 was bad! I bet it was really cool to see the falls frozen though!

Oooh! That's a great idea! I am a cross country skier, so visiting the Nordic countries sounds like heaven! Thanks! :)

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :D

More than willing to give you any bits of winter that come my way! heh

Thanks! Yes! Please send all snow my way!! Sleet and warmer can stay in Iowa ;)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »

Oh no! Old habits die hard! I'm glad you decided to try skating when you had the means and loved it! :D Did you ever buy yourself lessons? Did you ever make it to the State Fair?

Never made it to the Minnesota state fair, but I went to the Kandiyohi County Fair once or twice.  At least once.  The fairgrounds were walking distance from my grandparents' old house.

I went to Cal-Expo (California State Fair) a couple of times.

No lessons... I just stuck to my rental skates and public skating sessions.  It was fun, though.  Funny how you forget that it's cold when you're doing something fun.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Minnesota kid here as well. 😀 At least until I was 8.5. we then moved to Colorado, so I understand the snow thing. I miss snow like mad. I don't miss the below 0 temps and getting frostbite after 30 minutes. Haha. But I miss the snow.

We did ice skating once at school when they flooded the soccer field and allowed us to bring in skates one afternoon. I loved it!  It we moved to Colorado the next winter so I didn't get to keep skating.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links