Hello and welcome to the forum!!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 170
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »
Welcome!

The closer you get to the Penines (basically West Yorkshire) and the Dales (Northwest Yorkshire) the more snow you'll get. I live between Leeds and York and I didn't drive during the beast from the East that we had this March (I'm originally from California and cannot walk on ice). There was about 18 inches of snow the winter I lived in Sheffield. It lasted about a week... that was some 7/ 8 years ago...

What area would you be moving too??

I absolutely love Yorkshire!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 12:23:44 AM »
Welcome!

The closer you get to the Penines (basically West Yorkshire) and the Dales (Northwest Yorkshire) the more snow you'll get. I live between Leeds and York and I didn't drive during the beast from the East that we had this March (I'm originally from California and cannot walk on ice). There was about 18 inches of snow the winter I lived in Sheffield. It lasted about a week... that was some 7/ 8 years ago...

What area would you be moving too??

I absolutely love Yorkshire!!

Thanks! Oooh! Sounds like I need to convince BF to live nearer the Penines! ;) BF works in Huddersfield, so we'd live somewhere near there. I'm hoping to keep my US job for a while/indefinitely as I'm a software engineer and it doesn't matter where in the world I am. We'll see how that goes though. I've been reading the threads in the Money Matters section. *facepalm* I notice there's a town call "Great Britain" and have a strong desire to live there so I can confuse everyone back home!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]  Or, perhaps, simply everyone ;)

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 12:27:12 AM »
Never made it to the Minnesota state fair, but I went to the Kandiyohi County Fair once or twice.  At least once.  The fairgrounds were walking distance from my grandparents' old house.

I went to Cal-Expo (California State Fair) a couple of times.

No lessons... I just stuck to my rental skates and public skating sessions.  It was fun, though.  Funny how you forget that it's cold when you're doing something fun.

Ah, you would have had the authentic experience going to the Kandiyohi County Fair. The county fairs really show how big agriculture is in MN and how dedicated the kids are to their animals. :)

What's the Cal-Expo like?

Nice! Why pay when it's fun as it is? So true about fun making you forget the cold! :)

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 12:34:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Minnesota kid here as well. 😀 At least until I was 8.5. we then moved to Colorado, so I understand the snow thing. I miss snow like mad. I don't miss the below 0 temps and getting frostbite after 30 minutes. Haha. But I miss the snow.

We did ice skating once at school when they flooded the soccer field and allowed us to bring in skates one afternoon. I loved it!  It we moved to Colorado the next winter so I didn't get to keep skating.

Thanks!

Just like Lindsey Vonn!! :) The snow in Colorado is so different to that in MN! I love both :) The winters here have been so crazy the past couple years. Either -100 or over freezing. None of the beautiful 20s F! I miss them. Told my BF to breathe in through his nose on a super cold day. His response was "OUCH! Why would you tell me to that?!"  [smiley=laugh4.gif]  I told him he needed to know what MN winter feels like ;) He responded by taking me for a rainy three hour hike in the Yorkshire Dales when I visited him in April, so I got mine. [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Awesome you got to do ice skating in school! Too bad you didn't get to keep skating.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 05:33:36 AM »
Welcome - I did 4 years in the Twin Cities before deciding enough was enough with the winters - I dont miss them at all!

If you want to keep skiing - the UK actually has a surprising number of rollerskiers so you may want to check around and see who is local to you. I know there is a good sized group near Edinburgh (due to snow training facilities), but Yorkshire seems to ring a bell as well. As you can imagine, nordic skiing is very niche here so you get current and ex-Olympians either coaching or training with the various groups, and people tend to really enjoy and be passionate about skiing and their annual trips to different marathons (if that is your thing). You may want to drop Iain at the London Hyde Park group an email (its on the website rollerski.co.uk - he's also the guy who sells most of the gear - including snow gear - in the UK and ROI) and see who he knows in your area or check britishnordic.org.uk or snowsport england.

Would also suggest in addition to the Nordic countries (snow hasn't been super great up there the last few years) - Obertilliach in Austria tends to have good snow record and is a major training center. Totally Nordic runs trips there with training (Alan is a wonderful, extremely patient coach), but the website also has very good information on how to get to the area if you want to do your own thing.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »
Thanks!

Just like Lindsey Vonn!! :) The snow in Colorado is so different to that in MN! I love both :) The winters here have been so crazy the past couple years. Either -100 or over freezing. None of the beautiful 20s F! I miss them. Told my BF to breathe in through his nose on a super cold day. His response was "OUCH! Why would you tell me to that?!"  [smiley=laugh4.gif]  I told him he needed to know what MN winter feels like ;) He responded by taking me for a rainy three hour hike in the Yorkshire Dales when I visited him in April, so I got mine. [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Awesome you got to do ice skating in school! Too bad you didn't get to keep skating.

Yep. 😊
The winters were so different. And with all the winter weather being so up in the air since the mid-90's it was interesting to see. Sometimes MN was warmer and less snowy than where I lived in the high desert! Don't be fooled by that, we had 100 degree summers and below zero nights in winter.

It is my most cherished school memory is a kid. I was so bummed when my parents decided to move.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »

Ah, you would have had the authentic experience going to the Kandiyohi County Fair. The county fairs really show how big agriculture is in MN and how dedicated the kids are to their animals. :)

Yes, I remember not understanding it as a kid (from the "city" in California)... like, it was half fun fair with rides and food and games, and then half ... petting zoo?  To my seven year old self, that's what I thought. I didn't see a point for the boring livestock.  Obviously, I understand it, now... I mean, I read Charlotte's Web.  I understand county fairs.  ;)

What's the Cal-Expo like?

Like the county fair, but with bigger everything.  Bigger rides, bigger exhibits, bigger exhibit halls, soooo many people...

Nice! Why pay when it's fun as it is? So true about fun making you forget the cold! :)

Haha!  "Why pay?" was my dad's attitude about the whole endeavor!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »

Thanks! Oooh! Sounds like I need to convince BF to live nearer the Penines! ;) BF works in Huddersfield, so we'd live somewhere near there. I'm hoping to keep my US job for a while/indefinitely as I'm a software engineer and it doesn't matter where in the world I am. We'll see how that goes though. I've been reading the threads in the Money Matters section. *facepalm* I notice there's a town call "Great Britain" and have a strong desire to live there so I can confuse everyone back home!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]  Or, perhaps, simply everyone ;)

Well, you're in luck! Huddersfield is next to the Penines. Huddersfield itself is a bit of a dump (my husband is from there and still works there too, so feel like I can make this judgement - sorry if anyone is offended!!) but there are loads of really nice villages on the outskirts! It can be quite hilly!! I would recommend Holmfirth and Lindley is quite up and coming - lts of cafes and wine bars and some very nice restaurants indeed!! But I'm sure your bf knows all this...

Oh and Merry England is amazing - even though the decor is totally for little old ladies.

My in-laws live in Meltham and they always get snow when we hardly get any where we are.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
Well, you're in luck! Huddersfield is next to the Penines. Huddersfield itself is a bit of a dump (my husband is from there and still works there too, so feel like I can make this judgement - sorry if anyone is offended!!)

Huddersfield has brilliant real ale pubs!
(in their defence)  ;)

And did someone say earlier that it only snows in Yorkshire every 6 or 7 years?  That is absolutely NOT true!
It's not Minnesota levels of snow, but Yorkshire does get some snow every winter.

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
(in their defence)  ;)

The outskirts, but the town center?? My husband works right next to it (walking distance to there and the Town grounds for a rough idea) and tells me a lot of rather, erm, colourful stories which are then backed up by news articles so he isn't completely lying to me...

The ale trail is fun and the two pubs at the train station are ok (the head of steam being slightly nicer than the king's head)... oh and the restaurants under the arches are ok too...

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »
Welcome - I did 4 years in the Twin Cities before deciding enough was enough with the winters - I dont miss them at all!

If you want to keep skiing - the UK actually has a surprising number of rollerskiers so you may want to check around and see who is local to you. I know there is a good sized group near Edinburgh (due to snow training facilities), but Yorkshire seems to ring a bell as well. As you can imagine, nordic skiing is very niche here so you get current and ex-Olympians either coaching or training with the various groups, and people tend to really enjoy and be passionate about skiing and their annual trips to different marathons (if that is your thing). You may want to drop Iain at the London Hyde Park group an email (its on the website rollerski.co.uk - he's also the guy who sells most of the gear - including snow gear - in the UK and ROI) and see who he knows in your area or check britishnordic.org.uk or snowsport england.

Would also suggest in addition to the Nordic countries (snow hasn't been super great up there the last few years) - Obertilliach in Austria tends to have good snow record and is a major training center. Totally Nordic runs trips there with training (Alan is a wonderful, extremely patient coach), but the website also has very good information on how to get to the area if you want to do your own thing.

Thanks! Fair enough, the winter here isn't for everyone! This last one wasn't even for me. :/

I would love to keep skiing. I've been contemplating what to do with my rollerskis/ski gear. Sounds like I should bring them! Hopefully, I do not end up filing them in the list of things I shouldn't have brought! [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Thank you for all the resources! I'll get in contact with those groups when the time comes! I used to do marathons, but I like the shorter races better now. I don't really race anyway. I just enjoy skiing in the woods as part of an event. ;)

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
Well, you're in luck! Huddersfield is next to the Penines. Huddersfield itself is a bit of a dump (my husband is from there and still works there too, so feel like I can make this judgement - sorry if anyone is offended!!) but there are loads of really nice villages on the outskirts! It can be quite hilly!! I would recommend Holmfirth and Lindley is quite up and coming - lts of cafes and wine bars and some very nice restaurants indeed!! But I'm sure your bf knows all this...

Oh and Merry England is amazing - even though the decor is totally for little old ladies.

My in-laws live in Meltham and they always get snow when we hardly get any where we are.

Fantastic! We have yet to discuss where we want to live together. All in good time. I'll be sure to suggest we look at neighboring towns as we might get more for our money in terms of real estate. Lucky he's a northern boy, otherwise I'd be giving up snow altogether! ;)

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »
(in their defence)  ;)

And did someone say earlier that it only snows in Yorkshire every 6 or 7 years?  That is absolutely NOT true!
It's not Minnesota levels of snow, but Yorkshire does get some snow every winter.

Woo! Ale pubs! :)

A little snow will go a long way for me. :)

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
The outskirts, but the town center?? My husband works right next to it (walking distance to there and the Town grounds for a rough idea) and tells me a lot of rather, erm, colourful stories which are then backed up by news articles so he isn't completely lying to me...

The ale trail is fun and the two pubs at the train station are ok (the head of steam being slightly nicer than the king's head)... oh and the restaurants under the arches are ok too...

My BF has not told me any stories, but there's a train station right by his work, so I think he has no need to go anywhere in Huddersfield but work and the train station!

I'm loving all these food and drink suggestions! Thanks!

Sponsored Links