Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is ILR process?  (Read 960 times)

• Liked: 0
What is ILR process?
« on: December 13, 2004, 09:14:08 PM »
Hi All

In April 2005, I will have been here 4 years.  I am here on a work permit.  Will an ILR enable me to work for anyone that I want?  How do I apply for it?  How long does it usually take?  Do I have to wait until April to begin the process?

Thanks

Gina

Re: What is ILR process?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:12:27 PM »
yes, once you have ILR you can work for whomever you want w/o having to bother w/work permits.  you can apply 5 weeks before you present visa expires.  processing times vary, however.  you could also make an appointment to do yours in person; although it's a bit more expensive than the post (about £250), the convenience may be worth it to you. 

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 12:39:03 PM »
Go to the IND pages
 www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

and look for the forms to download. You should start preparing now, since the paperwork for the ILR is actually more comprehensive than that applying for citizenship (although by the time you get to that point, you might also have to take the new citizenship exam). You'll need evidence of work (a letter from your employer); the annual tax receipt form; evidence of bank statements, etc.

Though making an appointment is more expensive, I'd do it since it will save you the hassle of waiting for the post. And then you never know when a personal intervention can help. I had to get mine at Croyden before the appointment system, which was a trip to hell. Then when I got to the agent, I was informed that they weren't giving out ILRs that day and had to come back. Then next day I got to the point where I handed them my passport, and the only empty pages were the "amendments and modifications" ones, and they didn't want to put the stamp there. I explained that the ILR stamp was an amendment and modification, and they finally gave it to me. If I'd done this through the mail, it might have taken months.

The ILR lets you search for work as an equal to any EU citizen; it lets you go on the dole; it lets you stay in the UK indefinitely unless there's a 2 year gap. But it doesn't give you any privileges outside of the UK. You don't have any rights to settle or work in the EU, and I don't believe that it gives you equal consideration for applying for a job that an EU citizen might have.

For all of these things, you have to become a citizen.

The UK takes an ILR procedurally more seriously than citizenship; so this is the big hurdle. Yet, so long as you've kept your nose clean in these years, there won't be any problem. It's just so much paperwork.

so 1) start collecting you paperwork; 2) fill the form out, which you can download; and 3) get an appointment in one of the centers. Good luck!

btw, from experience, when coming back to the UK on the ILR, I always got asked how I got it and if I was still working (both irrelevant). But after the first year here on the ILR, I haven't been asked those questions once, so they might just give up after a set time.

good luck!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 01:32:13 AM »
Thank you both for your help.  I didn't have a clue!

Gina

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 09:54:42 AM »
Go to the IND pages
 www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

btw, from experience, when coming back to the UK on the ILR, I always got asked how I got it and if I was still working (both irrelevant). But after the first year here on the ILR, I haven't been asked those questions once, so they might just give up after a set time.

good luck!

They may have asked me those questions a couple of times, but I think it quickly stopped. My partner got asked a lot more than I did. We got citizenship in 2001.

Btw - is there a special queue at immigration in the airports now for ILR holders? I thought I heard something like that.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 10:00:43 AM »
Hi!
actually there´s a queue at Heathrow for all UK residents who are not EU citizens. So there´s 3 queues
- EU
- other UK residents
- other foreigners

I think that in this UK resident queue includes everyone with other UK residence permit (work permit, Limited Leave to Remain, etc).

Glauco

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »
But in true British fashion, it's only at Heathrow that this line exists. there's no special visa line at Stansted, Luton, or Gatwick. I think it might be because the military uses Heathrow. The one time I used the line there, it was with about 30 GIs.

Sponsored Links