Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello All  (Read 3134 times)

• Liked: 216
Re: Hello All
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
This would tally up with conversations I've had with Brits when they've made comments about how overly friendly Americans are. I've had some borderline "not sure if I should be offended" comments that I know weren't meant maliciously that I've challenged and found out that it does seem to be more that Brits, as a majority, think Americans are being "over the top" friendly because they think it's fake friendliness more than a person actually wanting to be friendly/caring about how the other person is doing.

I was deemed okay with my friendly-levels because I'm from New England hahahaha Boston-area attitudes -while still more outwardly friendly to strangers - are similar to southern England's attitudes (from what I've witnessed)

I know they all probably think I'm a nutter then! I am always happy and smiling. I am quick to say hello and give a helping hand. It took my husband a while before he could accept that this is just me. He really thought I was putting on an act or maybe trying to draw attention when we were first getting to know each other. But after he truly got to know me and my heart, he realized I'm just a really nice person. He even says 'You just love everyone, honey!" It's true. I do. LOL!
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Welcome to UKY!  Glad that you found us, and certainly ask any questions.  :)

LOL, I'm from New England too, and even so, I've been advised I'm very "American" in regards to my friendliness and enthusiasm levels. 

This is great, that is awesome, I'm excited about A, B, or C.  I think once people realized that's how I am, and am not putting it on, it became more endearing than annoying or suspicious.

Ha ha!! We are so similar! I'm always like "that is so awesome" or "how cool"... I can't help it! LOL! I'm glad to know they've warmed to you though. It gives me hope.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
Ha yes if it's not the British way, then it must be fake surely?! Lets be honest, using the tube is almost a cool cultural challenge to try your best not to acknowledge the thousands of people around you. Did you find any cultural challenges after moving here? Or did you find the change quite easy to adjust?

I actually adjusted fine as I found where I am in the UK to be very similar to where I was from in the US. I settled in pretty quickly but then I don't have some of the requirements others on the forum have. I'm very lucky to not have any food allergy (unless being picky counts? lol) or chronic illness that needs treating. Any issues that I have are fairly easily manageable for me and the atmosphere/culture here wasn't a major change.

Welcome to UKY!  Glad that you found us, and certainly ask any questions.  :)

LOL, I'm from New England too, and even so, I've been advised I'm very "American" in regards to my friendliness and enthusiasm levels. 

This is great, that is awesome, I'm excited about A, B, or C.  I think once people realized that's how I am, and am not putting it on, it became more endearing than annoying or suspicious.

With the people I've spoken to, they do think I'm more enthusiastic and friendly than fellow Brits, but it's not as awkward for them as people from even MORE friendly and open states. Sometimes I think they just genuinely don't know what to make of those that come and are considered too friendly/outgoing/talkative with strangers than what they're used to.

I know they all probably think I'm a nutter then! I am always happy and smiling. I am quick to say hello and give a helping hand. It took my husband a while before he could accept that this is just me. He really thought I was putting on an act or maybe trying to draw attention when we were first getting to know each other. But after he truly got to know me and my heart, he realized I'm just a really nice person. He even says 'You just love everyone, honey!" It's true. I do. LOL!

In fairness, it might not be as strange to people further up north as it might be to the ones further down south :) People down south are friend, I promise! haha they just seem to have a worse reputation because I think it takes them longer to adjust to someone being so positive and outwardly friendly/helpful to them LOL

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 10:22:04 PM »
In fairness, it might not be as strange to people further up north as it might be to the ones further down south :) People down south are friend, I promise! haha they just seem to have a worse reputation because I think it takes them longer to adjust to someone being so positive and outwardly friendly/helpful to them LOL

It makes sense though. It's a kind of earning someone's trust thing which I can respect and understand.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
I live in the Midlands (been here 4.5 years now) and haven't had any bad experiences with people thinking I was too friendly.  Though my hubby and I did have a bit of a discussion once or twice about people thinking Americans are 'fake'.  I've been told people in the north and people in the south (Cornwall/Devon) are more like Americans. But truth be told I run into people who are chatty while walking my dogs. Maybe it's the dogs? Hahaha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
I live in the Midlands (been here 4.5 years now) and haven't had any bad experiences with people thinking I was too friendly.  Though my hubby and I did have a bit of a discussion once or twice about people thinking Americans are 'fake'.  I've been told people in the north and people in the south (Cornwall/Devon) are more like Americans. But truth be told I run into people who are chatty while walking my dogs. Maybe it's the dogs? Hahaha.

Animal lovers are definitely more warm on the whole.  :)

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »

Dogs make everyone happier and friendlier! I can't wait to get my pup over there.   :D

• Liked: 680
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »
Duude! Two and a half hours on the damned freeway to get home from work. I do not miss that. Or six hours to get through LA heading North, in the middle of the day!

Brits = English. Glaswegians (entirely different people) are very outgoing, and have told me they think I'm a bit reserved.  ;)  LOVE the people in Glasgow. Not a stuffy one among 'em that I've met (so far).

Carne Asada. If you're still in SoCal, eat it while you can. You simply cannot get the real thing here, regardless of what they call it.  ;) ;)

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
Duude! Two and a half hours on the damned freeway to get home from work. I do not miss that. Or six hours to get through LA heading North, in the middle of the day!

Brits = English. Glaswegians (entirely different people) are very outgoing, and have told me they think I'm a bit reserved.  ;)  LOVE the people in Glasgow. Not a stuffy one among 'em that I've met (so far).

Carne Asada. If you're still in SoCal, eat it while you can. You simply cannot get the real thing here, regardless of what they call it.  ;) ;)

I hardly ever left the Valley because I could not deal with the 405. LA traffic is atrocious.

Ooh, and pleeeeeease don't get me started on Carne Asada!!! That's my favorite! I'll definitely miss that!!

• Liked: 15
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
Sorry for not replying on my own welcome thread for a while! Got snowed in at work which is a good thing at present! 52 days now! So keeping busy helps pass the time!
Glad to hear some of you have adjusted well to UK life! That link regarding the tube was brilliant.... people having things thrown at them and still pretending not to notice people!
Ha I think it’s safe to say Mexican food in UK is never going to rival California, but then again I know many Mexicans saying same about California 😉.we had a taco truck at our wedding which was a cultural experience for brits that turned up!
SoCal traffic is shocking. Not just busy but the manner of driving. First time I ever went I rented a car and used the 105/605 from LAX to Whittier. I’ve driven there so much I’ve bought some bad habits home which I need to shake! Perhaps it has something to do with the lax driving tests! No offence!
So I’ve just got back from a 15 mile bike ride. Wife should be waking soon as she’s moving down to her parents today in Temecula until this visa comes through! Times been moving slow since wd 48 ish!

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
Sorry for not replying on my own welcome thread for a while! Got snowed in at work which is a good thing at present! 52 days now! So keeping busy helps pass the time!
Glad to hear some of you have adjusted well to UK life! That link regarding the tube was brilliant.... people having things thrown at them and still pretending not to notice people!
Ha I think it’s safe to say Mexican food in UK is never going to rival California, but then again I know many Mexicans saying same about California 😉.we had a taco truck at our wedding which was a cultural experience for brits that turned up!
SoCal traffic is shocking. Not just busy but the manner of driving. First time I ever went I rented a car and used the 105/605 from LAX to Whittier. I’ve driven there so much I’ve bought some bad habits home which I need to shake! Perhaps it has something to do with the lax driving tests! No offence!
So I’ve just got back from a 15 mile bike ride. Wife should be waking soon as she’s moving down to her parents today in Temecula until this visa comes through! Times been moving slow since wd 48 ish!

I'll choose driving in LA any day over driving in Miami. This place is my worst nightmare. These people can NOT drive. I've never screamed so much at people in my life. It's not for the faint of heart. I think if I survive driving here in Miami, I can drive anywhere on this planet!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Hope you had a great bike ride. My husband is a cyclist as well. I'm planning on getting a pushbike as soon as I get there... but I told him he has to start me out in the flat areas! I don't know if I'll make it up all of the steep Cumbrian hills...and I don't want to die coming back down them! LOL!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »

we had a taco truck at our wedding which was a cultural experience for brits that turned up!

So I was all supportive of you and wishing you well up until this.  I’m now a victim of the green eyed monster and am wondering why none of my friends have had taco trucks at their weddings!  ;D

Though for my daughters birthday this year - which fell on Easter Sunday - we had a taco bar.  It was her choice.  She’s 4.  Raising her right.  :D

• Liked: 15
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
I'll choose driving in LA any day over driving in Miami. This place is my worst nightmare. These people can NOT drive. I've never screamed so much at people in my life. It's not for the faint of heart. I think if I survive driving here in Miami, I can drive anywhere on this planet!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Hope you had a great bike ride. My husband is a cyclist as well. I'm planning on getting a pushbike as soon as I get there... but I told him he has to start me out in the flat areas! I don't know if I'll make it up all of the steep Cumbrian hills...and I don't want to die coming back down them! LOL!

Ouch beating LA traffic that’s impressive! Driving here is a dream in comparison so I feel for you. Still... at least you have the sun!
Ha I’m pretty new to cycling! So can’t really claim to be a cyclist yet.... but so far not fell off so I don’t think I’m in the club yet! That’s funny as my wife’s the experienced cycler and I’m the amateur here! Yes don’t die! However you will have some of the best cycling spots in the country I imagine!
So I was all supportive of you and wishing you well up until this.  I’m now a victim of the green eyed monster and am wondering why none of my friends have had taco trucks at their weddings!  ;D

Though for my daughters birthday this year - which fell on Easter Sunday - we had a taco bar.  It was her choice.  She’s 4.  Raising her right.  :D

Ha great! Hacking people off on Day 3 lol! And it was actually my idea to have a taco truck! It worked really well. Spread the word including at British weddings!

Nice on the birthday front! She made a wise decision. Cultural roots carrying forward!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »
I hardly ever left the Valley because I could not deal with the 405. LA traffic is atrocious.

I was staying at the southwest bit of Culver City, just near the intersection of 90 and the 405, for most of 2011... I made driving down the 405 a sport.  And I learned that my car's idle was set so high I could just ease on and off the clutch without ever touching the other pedals in stop-and-slow traffic (stop-and-slow is like stop-and-go except you never really get to the 'go' part).  Probably annoyed the drivers behind me, though... no brakelights.  :P

I was almost never in a hurry to get anywhere, so I didn't care about the traffic.  I loved living there.  Would've loved it more if I'd been further along in my financial plan, though; my budget was a bit too restrictive for the environment.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »

I was almost never in a hurry to get anywhere, so I didn't care about the traffic.  I loved living there.  Would've loved it more if I'd been further along in my financial plan, though; my budget was a bit too restrictive for the environment.

I always say that LA is the perfect place to live if your bank account can deal with it! It's no fun there when everyday is a struggle to stay afloat.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab