Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

Head count! How many members of your household will be at the Blizzard party?

just me (1)
3 (33.3%)
me and my partner (2)
6 (66.7%)
me, my partner, and kids under age ten (any number of small children)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and one child older than ten (3 'grown' people)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and two children over age ten (4 'grown' people)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and three or more children over age ten (∞ 'grown' people)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 30, 2018, 06:29:19 PM

Topic: BLIZZARD PARTY 2018!  (Read 25941 times)

• Liked: 3598
Re: BLIZZARD PARTY 2018!
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »
I’m in Peterborough so it’s a bit of a trek but I could possibly swing it, it gets me out if a late kids Halloween party lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m driving down from Lincoln... after a night shift :P!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 962
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
So if one was going to book a hotel room, is there a recommended place? (or Airbnb) I haven't been to Bristol before. :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 426
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »
Ok, my wife and I are trying to figure out how to be there! Exactly when and where is this party?? Bristol on the 3rd.....time and place?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Ok, my wife and I are trying to figure out how to be there! Exactly when and where is this party?? Bristol on the 3rd.....time and place?

Wow!  That's exciting!  Bristol, probably Cabot Circus for meeting-up location, and we'll find a restaurant or pub to gather in there.

Or do we want to take a head count and book someplace?  As a courtesy to wherever we end up, that might be the better option, so nobody gets caught out.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
So if one was going to book a hotel room, is there a recommended place? (or Airbnb) I haven't been to Bristol before. :)

My inlaws live there, so I've never had to book a room there, but I can ask what they would recommend.  And ksand24 has family in the area, so she might know something.

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »
My inlaws live there, so I've never had to book a room there, but I can ask what they would recommend.  And ksand24 has family in the area, so she might know something.

I’m in the same boat as you, because although I grew up in Bristol, I’ve never had to stay in a hotel, because my parents are only a few miles away and if I need to stay in the city, I stay with friends.

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »
I’m in the same boat as you, because although I grew up in Bristol, I’ve never had to stay in a hotel, because my parents are only a few miles away and if I need to stay in the city, I stay with friends.

I'll ask my FIL, then, as he is very active in quite a few groups and organisations, so he'll surely have recommendations based on where his friends have stayed (when they've elected not to stay with them!).

• Liked: 426
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »
The more details we can get the better, as we would be most likely booking flights and a room. We are after all, in the Highlands!

• Liked: 240
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
If we had the means to book a flight my husband and I would have love to come represent Aberdeenshire  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
If we had the means to book a flight my husband and I would have love to come represent Aberdeenshire  :D
I think in the warmer months we should plan a Scotland meetup with plenty of notice for flights etc!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2018, 01:39:06 AM »
I'm sad. As much as I want to come and meet everyone, it's just quite a jaunt from Penrith. And that is my stepdaughter's birthday weekend so we'll be doing activities with her as well. I hope I'll be able to join you all next time. Would love to put faces with the names. You all are a great group of people!  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »
PLANNING POST!

1. I have created a poll as a way to get a rough head count.  Please select one response per household.  You can change your 'vote' if your plans change (like, partner changes their mind about coming, or you decide to bring/ditch the kids after all).  This is just so we can see how many people we'll have in our group.

2. My husband has discovered an event that is being held pretty much right at the train station that seems really attractive.  It would give us a place to meet and socialize, with some casual activity going on so we don't get bored.  It's... wait for it... the Wine, Cheese, and Chocolate Festival!  This traveling festival will be in Bristol on the day of our planned party.  And it has all the things: wine, cheese, and chocolate!  The festival is run in sessions, and we were thinking the evening session would be good.  Then retire to a bar at the end of the evening, for those who wish to continue to socialize.

The only hitch is I have had a look at their Facebook page, and I'd like to do some more investigating to make sure it's legit.  But if it is, it sounds wonderful!  Here's an article about it in the Bristol Post from April.

3.  HOTELS (and possible bar idea)!

My husband suggested a hotel bar/lounge as a place to retire to after our main activity ends.  And we did some research and learned that the Holiday Inn Express directly opposite the train station (so, very near to the Wine, Cheese, and Chocolate Festival, if we plan to go to that) has a lounge that serves until 3:30am.  If some of us are staying in said hotel, it would be a place to continue to socialize as the night winds down.  And then pop up to our rooms to sleep it off.  Checkout is at noon, so plenty of time to recover.  It's not the cheapest hotel in Bristol, but it's also definitely not the poshest.  And its location can't be beat, for our purposes.  Here's the link.

If you require a slightly more economical room for the night, there is an Ibis less than a half-mile away, but breakfast is not included, and you'll have a longer walk.  Here is the link.

These places are very close to the train station, so if you're arriving by train, you could check in, deposit your things in your room, and head out to explore.  If you arrive super early in the day, don't forget the water ferry all day hop-on/hop-off passes to explore the waterfront.

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
I'll call the Holiday Inn later today... The issue with some of them is they pump fragrance into all of their common areas and its *really* strong. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4991
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
I suspect I will be on my own.  I'd be surprised if the whole crew comes....

I will probably take the train unless someone local to me is driving and wants to listen to me talk talk talk the whole way.   [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 52
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
PLANNING POST!

1. I have created a poll as a way to get a rough head count.  Please select one response per household.  You can change your 'vote' if your plans change (like, partner changes their mind about coming, or you decide to bring/ditch the kids after all).  This is just so we can see how many people we'll have in our group.

2. My husband has discovered an event that is being held pretty much right at the train station that seems really attractive.  It would give us a place to meet and socialize, with some casual activity going on so we don't get bored.  It's... wait for it... the Wine, Cheese, and Chocolate Festival!  This traveling festival will be in Bristol on the day of our planned party.  And it has all the things: wine, cheese, and chocolate!  The festival is run in sessions, and we were thinking the evening session would be good.  Then retire to a bar at the end of the evening, for those who wish to continue to socialize.

The only hitch is I have had a look at their Facebook page, and I'd like to do some more investigating to make sure it's legit.  But if it is, it sounds wonderful!  Here's an article about it in the Bristol Post from April.

3.  HOTELS (and possible bar idea)!

My husband suggested a hotel bar/lounge as a place to retire to after our main activity ends.  And we did some research and learned that the Holiday Inn Express directly opposite the train station (so, very near to the Wine, Cheese, and Chocolate Festival, if we plan to go to that) has a lounge that serves until 3:30am.  If some of us are staying in said hotel, it would be a place to continue to socialize as the night winds down.  And then pop up to our rooms to sleep it off.  Checkout is at noon, so plenty of time to recover.  It's not the cheapest hotel in Bristol, but it's also definitely not the poshest.  And its location can't be beat, for our purposes.  Here's the link.

If you require a slightly more economical room for the night, there is an Ibis less than a half-mile away, but breakfast is not included, and you'll have a longer walk.  Here is the link.

These places are very close to the train station, so if you're arriving by train, you could check in, deposit your things in your room, and head out to explore.  If you arrive super early in the day, don't forget the water ferry all day hop-on/hop-off passes to explore the waterfront.
Where is the poll? On here or on Facebook?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab