Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

Head count! How many members of your household will be at the Blizzard party?

just me (1)
3 (33.3%)
me and my partner (2)
6 (66.7%)
me, my partner, and kids under age ten (any number of small children)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and one child older than ten (3 'grown' people)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and two children over age ten (4 'grown' people)
0 (0%)
me, my partner, and three or more children over age ten (∞ 'grown' people)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 30, 2018, 06:29:19 PM

Topic: BLIZZARD PARTY 2018!  (Read 24898 times)

• Liked: 114
Re: BLIZZARD PARTY 2018!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »
I was thinking/hoping it would be one of those things that started around mid-afternoon and just went on until the last people decided to leave.  Since we'll be arriving from all over, having a more fluid activity/plan seems best, too (so no dinner cruises).  We would want to try to focus the arrival of the group to maximize the overlap in attendance to get the most people meeting up, but still allow flexibility for those who need to arrive late or leave early.

The latest trains out of Bristol city center (Temple Meads station) to London seem to be 21:45 (reasonably cheap at ~£15) and 22:30 (affordable, but quite a lot more than the other train, at ~£24).

In the alternative, there is also the possibility of meeting outside of Bristol.  I'm not sure how many people will be arriving by train vs by car.  If most are coming by car, outside of Bristol would be easier for them (that's me and my husband, but we're more than happy to drive into Bristol city center if it means more interesting activities/venues for meeting up).  If by train, city center would be easier, I should think.

---

Meanwhile, I'm looking for activities that are not going to be cost-prohibitive (ideally free!*), will be suitable for families and people of all abilities, and will offer some amusement/interest as well as ability for us to just talk and enjoy meeting up (preferably over drinks/food).  Also, we need to be prepared for whatever the weather, since it's so far in advance.

* For people arriving before 5pm, I came across Bristol Blue Glass, about 1.5 miles southeast of the train station at 357-359 Bath Road.  There's a bus that eliminates most of the walking.  Free admission to the glassblowing studio and shop.  For £20, you can buy an "experience" and make your own bauble to take home (I suspect you don't get to do much more than blow through the tube, but I'm curious to find out!).  Your bauble will have to cool slowly overnight in an oven, so would need to be shipped to you (£5.50 for shipping).  I might try to talk my husband into this if we get there well early.  :)

What I have been seriously considering is Jungle Rumble Adventure Golf*, at Cabot Circus.  It's just under a mile from the train station (and there's a bus), they have a bar on-site, it's open to children (until 9pm), and it provides some fun activity.  Plus, Cabot Circus Shopping Center will have plenty of shops and food/drink places we can move to (or start at).

* I'm a child, okay?!  Also, they have adult packages, that include golf and booze.  So it's not just for kids.  But it's for kids, too.
I wholly support the idea of glass blowing and adventure golf.  Two things I absolutely love!

We are easy in terms of whether to drive or get the train.  Would probably rather the train as Dave has a monster commute to work in the week, but if most other people want to drive and meet on the outskirts, we can do that, too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
I'll be driving down, so either outside Bristol or in the city centre is fine with me.

Cabot Circus has a large car park, which is linked to the shopping centre by a walkway. It has about 2,000 spaces, though it costs £2.30 for the first hour and then £1 an hour for the next 6 hours (between 7 am and 5pm). More than 7 hours is £18, but if you park after 5pm, it's £2 for the whole night.

• Liked: 250
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
@jfkimberly  We have a thing here in town called "Painting with a Twist" which is basically like group painting. That could be fun too! I know a few UK Yankees have children that might come along, so we gotta make sure we do something child friendly also! Glass blowing sounds AMAZING LOL

Also, FOOD.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Ahh... very good.  I don't read the visa board, so that explains it!  :)

Glad you asked as I was curious as well haha

So I'm not exactly gone for a month :) I leave for Japan on the 29th of September and will be back on the 16th of October. I am free any weekend after that as far as I'm aware except one of the days where there is a Halloween party (can't remember the day off the top of my head at the moment) and not too late into November as then it'll be my birthday and thanksgiving before you know it! hah End of October (which might be nicer weather wise) /beginning of November works for me.

Depending on the day, I might just see if there's an airbnb I can rent as it'll make it easier to just stay a night. Not sure if anybody else would be considering staying over.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
Glad you asked as I was curious as well haha

So I'm not exactly gone for a month :) I leave for Japan on the 29th of September and will be back on the 16th of October. I am free any weekend after that as far as I'm aware except one of the days where there is a Halloween party (can't remember the day off the top of my head at the moment) and not too late into November as then it'll be my birthday and thanksgiving before you know it! hah End of October (which might be nicer weather wise) /beginning of November works for me.

Depending on the day, I might just see if there's an airbnb I can rent as it'll make it easier to just stay a night. Not sure if anybody else would be considering staying over.
Halloween party locally is on the 28th if that's the one you are thinking of.

I was debating heading out for the day on the 27th if that ends up the final date, possibly some of us could carpool from out here?

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
Halloween party locally is on the 28th if that's the one you are thinking of.

I was debating heading out for the day on the 27th if that ends up the final date, possibly some of us could carpool from out here?

Car pooling is extra fun! Road Trip!!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
I can always move the Halloween party if need be.

I'm in two minds.  I may just come on my own.  But if I bring the kiddos and husband along, I'm sure we'll stay the night (and hopefully visit the zoo).

My kids are quite full on at their ages, so if they do come, it'll likely be for as long as they are happy and then have my husband jet when they've reached their limit and hopefully I can get a lift with someone or a taxi if we are staying over.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
We are about halfway for anyone coming from around London - happy to offer up our spare room if anyone needs a place to kick it for the night.  We have cats, though (just thinking of allergies).

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
I can always move the Halloween party if need be.

I'm in two minds.  I may just come on my own.  But if I bring the kiddos and husband along, I'm sure we'll stay the night (and hopefully visit the zoo).

My kids are quite full on at their ages, so if they do come, it'll likely be for as long as they are happy and then have my husband jet when they've reached their limit and hopefully I can get a lift with someone or a taxi if we are staying over.

My husband may or may not come - all depends on the dog. If you go alone and I don't try to just get a room for the night, I can drive you back
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 10:28:05 PM »
Can I just say I love the enthusiasm and kindness in this thread.

This forum is amazing!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
My husband has just confirmed that he is working until 2pm on the Saturday, so we won't be to Bristol until about 5pm.  So no glass-blowing for us.  But we are thinking of staying overnight as well, so perhaps some of us could sort out follow-up activities for Sunday, provided we don't all get sick of each other!  ;)

(Others arriving earlier are still encouraged to go to that, or there's also the Bristol public ferry service along the waterfront... let me know if you need activity ideas for earlier in the day!)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:46:32 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
My husband has just confirmed that he is working until 2pm on the Saturday, so we won't be to Bristol until about 5pm.  So no glass-blowing for us.  But we are thinking of staying overnight as well, so perhaps some of us could sort out follow-up activities for Sunday, provided we don't all get sick of each other!  ;)

(Others arriving earlier are still encouraged to go to that, or there's also the Bristol public ferry service along the waterfront... let me know if you need activity ideas for earlier in the day!)

Have we decided on a place/time?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Have we decided on a place/time?

I think we could plan a few activities very close to each other, and people could head to whichever is going on or about to go on when they arrive to Bristol.  That way people who get there early won't be bore looking at the same thing all day while waiting for my husband and I to show up.  But I definitely vote for mini golf starting around 6 or 7pm!

The Bristol public ferry I mentioned is a water taxi/ferry thing that runs until 6pm which has 17 stops all along the waterfront.  £6.60pp for an all-day hop-on/hop-off ticket.  One of the stops is about 0.2 miles from the train station.  You guys could look into that for the earlier arrivals.  Or the glass blowing thing, but that's a bit further away (1.5 miles from the train station) and they close at 5pm, so that's for people who get to Bristol WELL before 5.

Cabot Circus is a big shopping center.  And I saw a craft/hobby shop nearby on Google maps that I would love to pop into.  There's lots of places to consider for a meeting point, with plenty to do while waiting.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »
I think we could plan a few activities very close to each other, and people could head to whichever is going on or about to go on when they arrive to Bristol.  That way people who get there early won't be bore looking at the same thing all day while waiting for my husband and I to show up.  But I definitely vote for mini golf starting around 6 or 7pm!

The Bristol public ferry I mentioned is a water taxi/ferry thing that runs until 6pm which has 17 stops all along the waterfront.  £6.60pp for an all-day hop-on/hop-off ticket.  One of the stops is about 0.2 miles from the train station.  You guys could look into that for the earlier arrivals.  Or the glass blowing thing, but that's a bit further away (1.5 miles from the train station) and they close at 5pm, so that's for people who get to Bristol WELL before 5.

Cabot Circus is a big shopping center.  And I saw a craft/hobby shop nearby on Google maps that I would love to pop into.  There's lots of places to consider for a meeting point, with plenty to do while waiting.

They've got a lot of nice bars as well if you're less "child-friendly" inclined :)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
They've got a lot of nice bars as well if you're less "child-friendly" inclined :)
Brewdog plz!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab