Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Student visa  (Read 2442 times)

• ramladu
  • Strategic Business Intelligence Analyst

• Liked: 0
Re: Student visa
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 06:36:14 PM »
I am curious as to the success rate (or stories of success) about going to school in the UK for one year and graduating.  Then being successfully hired by a UK firm.

I have 5 strategies I want to try if needed to enter in and work in the UK with hopes of living there permenantly with time.  The "get a second master's degree, but this time in the UK" strategy.
"Chance favours the prepared mind."

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 04:20:55 AM »
I don't believe so.  You are now allowed to switch your student visa to a work permit, if you find employment after your studies.  But even with 5 years on a WP, I don't think  you're eligible for citizenship.  Residency, yes. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!  :)

Wait wait, WHAT?! Who? How? Can you link me to information on this? If it's true, it would be nice, as it would take a bit of pressure off the "Eek, we have to get married ASAP" situation between my boyfriend and I. :o

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 03:14:44 AM »
I don't believe so.  You are now allowed to switch your student visa to a work permit, if you find employment after your studies. 

I think there are certain restrictions on this (like for non-shortage fields the employer has to prove that they couldn't find an equally qualified UK or EU candidate or the employment has to be in your field [so basically the same as trying to find UK employment from the US).  That's what I was told by my international office when I was a student, but I'm not sure if that's changed in the past year.  The British Council has a little bit of info at http://www.educationuk.org/ , and there's a .pdf file on UK employment after a student visa on the UKCOSA site at http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/pages/guidenote.htm#workafter

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 06:18:22 AM »
Thanks. I'll have to look into it more.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 12:00:58 PM »
Sorry, I should have clarified.  I'm in a shortage field so as a teacher, I can switch over to a WP from an student visa.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

Sponsored Links