Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bay-sil or Baaa-sil??  (Read 4519 times)

• Liked: 216
Re: Bay-sil or Baaa-sil??
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
At work the other day one of my colleagues pulled up a “British vs American” dictionary kind of thing.  She kept saying the British word and I’d say the American word.  She couldn’t believe I knew them all.  Umm....   ::)

Ponytail holder was a new one for everyone in the office.   ;)

Ha ha ha!! I love how the words/phrases just show up mid conversation and everyone comes to a screeching halt. You'd think you spoke blasphemy or something.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 114
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
See, I am gonna be living in a more rural area. The very first time I met my husband's good friend's wife, I said "aluminum" and you would have thought I had done a hour long comedy set. She thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard. And then she told me it was "alu-MIN-ium" and I was like ooooookay. I never knew that it was aluminium in the UK. But I also feel like she didn't know we say "a-LOO-min-um" in America. Needless to say, I just call it all "foil" now.

Lord help us all if she hears me say bay-sil.
I always tell them that American English is closer to what British English was back in the "old days" compared to modern-day British English. That usually shuts them up.

"The earliest American linguistic landscape was strongly influenced by dialects of the sort that even today are not highly esteemed by those with money. But they were still British, at first.

The accent has changed more in British English than in much of American

Then British English started changing in ways American didn’t. The  ‘proper’ English of the early 1600s would sound to us like a cross between the English spoken in Cornwall and Dallas; the accent has changed more in British English than in much of American. Even at the time of the American Revolution, educated speech in England fully pronounced “r” in all places, and King George III probably said after, ask, dance, glass, and path the same as George Washington did: with the same a as in hat and fat. The ‘ah’ pronunciation was considered low-class in England until after the Revolution."

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »
I think they call them all "hair bobbles." That reminds me of what my mom used to put in my hair when I was 4 years old.
Like the ones with the plastic balls that give you a concussion when they snap off your mother's fingers and ping into your head? I remember those...

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
I've been here 30+ years, so yeah... i say it the UK way.

The one that gets me shouting at the telly, though, is 'risotto'... when i hear US-ians on TV pronouncing it 'ris-oe-toe'.   Because of the spelling, with the double Ts in the middle, isn't it obvious that it should be pronounced to rhyme with grotto and blotto?   >:(

Ha ha ha!! But it's Italian!! So shouldn't we say it the way of its native language? Like for gnocchi, my husband says something that sounds like "Knocky" and I gotta help him out with that italian "gn" sound in addition to the long O. He he he!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »
I think they call them all "hair bobbles." That reminds me of what my mom used to put in my hair when I was 4 years old.

As a Brit, I haven't used the word 'hair bobble' since I was about 10 years old (and that was usually in reference to the ones that had decorative plastic bobbles on them) :P.

They're usually just called 'hair bands' or 'hair elastics' here.

Like the ones with the plastic balls that give you a concussion when they snap off your mother's fingers and ping into your head? I remember those...

Yeah, that would be a 'hair bobble'.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »

YESSSSS!! You so feel me on this!!  [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »
As a Brit, I haven't used the word 'hair bobble' since I was about 10 years old (and that was usually in reference to the ones that had decorative plastic bobbles on them) :P.

They're usually just called 'hair bands' or 'hair elastics' here.

Yeah, that would be a 'hair bobble'.

Ha ha!! Ok hair bands work much better for my 40-something year old self. But I swear my stepdaughter calls all of them hair bobbles.  :D

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »
What are they there?  ;D
I've used ponytail holders and hair ties pretty interchangeably as far as I can remember.  Maybe scrunchie, but that's a more specific type really.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
I always tell them that American English is closer to what British English was back in the "old days" compared to modern-day British English. That usually shuts them up.

"The earliest American linguistic landscape was strongly influenced by dialects of the sort that even today are not highly esteemed by those with money. But they were still British, at first.

The accent has changed more in British English than in much of American

Then British English started changing in ways American didn’t. The  ‘proper’ English of the early 1600s would sound to us like a cross between the English spoken in Cornwall and Dallas; the accent has changed more in British English than in much of American. Even at the time of the American Revolution, educated speech in England fully pronounced “r” in all places, and King George III probably said after, ask, dance, glass, and path the same as George Washington did: with the same a as in hat and fat. The ‘ah’ pronunciation was considered low-class in England until after the Revolution."

As much as I absolutely love this response, I think I'll be ostracized if I ever say this to my husband's friends. I'll just let them take the mickey and keep stepping. Eventually they'll leave me alone... I hope.  [smiley=laugh3.gif]

• Liked: 585
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 05:41:51 PM »
Ha ha ha!! But it's Italian!! So shouldn't we say it the way of its native language? Like for gnocchi, my husband says something that sounds like "Knocky" and I gotta help him out with that italian "gn" sound in addition to the long O. He he he!

Not quite buying it!  ;)
Because the Italian word for 8 is 'otto' and it's pronounced like grotto, blotto and RISOTTO!

FWIW.. i also pronounce gnocchi the same way as your husband.    :-\\\\

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »

What are they here?

Hair tie or hair band is what I hear here.  Thankfully not the bauble thing.  That word hurts my ears.  <shrugs>

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
Not quite buying it!  ;)
Because the Italian word for 8 is 'otto' and it's pronounced like grotto, blotto and RISOTTO!

FWIW.. i also pronounce gnocchi the same way as your husband.    :-\\\\

Oh damn. Maybe it is pronounced as you say then... Hmm...  I just said it out loud that way and I don't sound too crazy so maybe I'll adopt it in the UK.

But I'm not saying knocky. LOL!!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
I don’t think I’ll ever say “basil” or “tomato” or “aluminum” the way the British do. It just seems weird to me. But no one has ever noticed that I don’t pronounce them like they do. Well, maybe “aluminum” but that was a very long time ago.

My husband struggles being understood at fast-food joints when he asks for “no tomatoes” on his burger. They always look puzzled but then he wonders why it’s so difficult when there isn’t anything else in a burger place that sounds remotely like “tomato”. He just gives up and pronounces the word like Americans.

I do love the way my son and husband say “strawberry” pronounced like “strawburry”. I wish I could get away with that.

I just remembered that my husband finds it funny that I pronounce the word “pretty” as “purdy”. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »

My husband struggles being understood at fast-food joints when he asks for “no tomatoes” on his burger. They always look puzzled but then he wonders why it’s so difficult when there isn’t anything else in a burger place that sounds remotely like “tomato”. He just gives up and pronounces the word like Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's quite strange that they struggle with understanding tomato pronounced with a British accent. It's not THAT far off. LOL!!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
Oh damn. Maybe it is pronounced as you say then... Hmm...  I just said it out loud that way and I don't sound too crazy so maybe I'll adopt it in the UK.

I've been to Italy 6 times and I've never heard anyone there call it ris-oe-toe... other than Americans.

According to Google, Italians pronounce it the same way as Brits do, just with more of an Italian flair:
ri-sot-to (http://www.vocabolaudio.com/it/risotto)

I don’t think I’ll ever say “basil” or “tomato” or “aluminum” the way the British do. It just seems weird to me. But no one has ever noticed that I don’t pronounce them like they do. Well, maybe “aluminum” but that was a very long time ago.

To be fair, aluminium is spelt differently in the UK vs the US, so both pronunciations are correct.

US = Alumin-UM

UK= Alumin-I-UM

That's quite strange that they struggle with understanding tomato pronounced with a British accent. It's not THAT far off. LOL!!

I had the same issue with both tomato and tuna when I lived in the US. After repeating the word 'tuna' the British way in Subway about 5 times, I changed it to 'too-na' and the cashier immediately understood!

Sponsored Links