Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can we talk about salad please?  (Read 6058 times)

• Liked: 584
Re: Can we talk about salad please?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
We order 3-4 bottles of Newman's Own Ranch off the Ocado to ensure we NEVER run out. Oh god nothing worse than coming home with a hot pizza on a Friday night to find out you are out of RANCH!

I tried Newmans Own, but didn't like it.  I like Hidden Valley, and regularly order it off Amazon, but am going to try a recipe Tami posted recently, when I run out of HV packets.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »
We order 3-4 bottles of Newman's Own Ranch off the Ocado to ensure we NEVER run out. Oh god nothing worse than coming home with a hot pizza on a Friday night to find out you are out of RANCH!

My Sainsbury's always has Newman's own ranch, a lot of Americans on here don't like it since it's not like Hidden Valley. I like it though. 😁
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »
My mum occasionally used to make egg salad (for sandwiches or more often, rolls) using salad cream. Every now and again, I'll do the same. It takes me straight back to my childhood!   :)

• Liked: 216
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
My Sainsbury's always has Newman's own ranch, a lot of Americans on here don't like it since it's not like Hidden Valley. I like it though. 😁

See, I can not with the Hidden Valley. It's awful to me. I've never liked it. Newman's Own or Ken's Steakhouse are my favorite brands of ranch. I've found a nice variety of salad dressings at ASDA so at least I have options. But can not find bleu cheese dressing anywhere. I made a wedge salad and resorted to mixing some actual bleu cheese crumbles in some Newman's Own Ranch. It did the job.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
See, I can not with the Hidden Valley. It's awful to me. I've never liked it. Newman's Own or Ken's Steakhouse are my favorite brands of ranch. I've found a nice variety of salad dressings at ASDA so at least I have options. But can not find bleu cheese dressing anywhere. I made a wedge salad and resorted to mixing some actual bleu cheese crumbles in some Newman's Own Ranch. It did the job.

I know you like M&S, they have some nice dressings I think.  :)

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »

My husband had ranch with his pizza recently and he loved it. He had never had ranch until he met me.  :)

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
I know you like M&S, they have some nice dressings I think.  :)

Yes, they do have some nice ones. There's a french vinaigrette that I really like. But they don't have a huge selection of dressings. Maybe only 4 or 5 that I can picture.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
My husband is always on and on that he LOVES salads.  Umm, he loves potatoes and hard boiled eggs.  Not exactly "salad".  LOL

Maybe the potatoes are green?  Maybe that counts?  LOL

• Liked: 584
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
But can not find bleu cheese dressing anywhere. I made a wedge salad and resorted to mixing some actual bleu cheese crumbles in some Newman's Own Ranch. It did the job.

Yeah, that will work, or there's lots of recipes online for making your own.  It can be as easy as mixing mayo, sour cream and single cream together, and adding your cheese crumbles... that's nice with feta cheese as well.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »
Oh... my husband loves "ranchers dressing". And all we can find here is the Newman's Own so I've been making my own. Now I've realized Scottish husband has been eating his salads dry. So count another one. I just thought he was a weirdo!

And ham salad is not what us Americans think ham salad is. It's just a salad with ham in it. Lolol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 114
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
Has anyone ever seen Brianna's brand dressings around?  Our Tesco used to sell the ranch, honey mustard, and blue cheese.  But now they've nixed the ranch and I'm distraught because it was the best I've found here.

Will pay someone good money if they can find it!

ETA *has heart attack* Ocado has it! Maybe I will have to start doing the odd shop with them.  But if anyone feels like bringing some to the blizzard party...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:44:58 PM by heyjay »

• Liked: 21
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
See, I can not with the Hidden Valley. It's awful to me. I've never liked it. Newman's Own or Ken's Steakhouse are my favorite brands of ranch.

Yes! Hidden Valley was my favorite salad dressing when I was a teenager, but your tastes can change as you get older.  Also, I have an uncle who practically drowns his salad in Hidden Valley ranch, as evidenced during family get togethers. That's just gross, so maybe that put me off HV ranch too? Lol.

I prefer lighter dressings now, like balsamic vinaigrette. But If I'm having ranch, I definitely prefer the Newman's Own one.  I have converted my husband on some American foods now. He loves PB&J sandwiches, peanut butter cookies, and has a bit of ranch with his pizza. That's a quick solution if we forget to order the Domino's garlic and herb dip with our pizza.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »
Yeah, that will work, or there's lots of recipes online for making your own.  It can be as easy as mixing mayo, sour cream and single cream together, and adding your cheese crumbles... that's nice with feta cheese as well.

Mmm... love feta! Have to try that!

Oh... my husband loves "ranchers dressing". And all we can find here is the Newman's Own so I've been making my own. Now I've realized Scottish husband has been eating his salads dry. So count another one. I just thought he was a weirdo!

And ham salad is not what us Americans think ham salad is. It's just a salad with ham in it. Lolol

Ha ha ha!! It's a UK phenomenon. Dry salad. But wait, what is ham salad?? I haven't seen that one yet. Kinda think I don't want to.

Yes! Hidden Valley was my favorite salad dressing when I was a teenager, but your tastes can change as you get older.  Also, I have an uncle who practically drowns his salad in Hidden Valley ranch, as evidenced during family get togethers. That's just gross, so maybe that put me off HV ranch too? Lol.

I prefer lighter dressings now, like balsamic vinaigrette. But If I'm having ranch, I definitely prefer the Newman's Own one.  I have converted my husband on some American foods now. He loves PB&J sandwiches, peanut butter cookies, and has a bit of ranch with his pizza. That's a quick solution if we forget to order the Domino's garlic and herb dip with our pizza.

I generally prefer the lighter dressings on my salads as well now. Not to mention the amount of fat in just 2 tablespoons of ranch. Yikes!! But ranch is always nice for dipping.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
Ok survey time:

Miracle Whip: yes or no?

• Liked: 768
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
Mmm... love feta! Have to try that!

Ha ha ha!! It's a UK phenomenon. Dry salad. But wait, what is ham salad?? I haven't seen that one yet. Kinda think I don't want to.

I generally prefer the lighter dressings on my salads as well now. Not to mention the amount of fat in just 2 tablespoons of ranch. Yikes!! But ranch is always nice for dipping.
It's literally a salad with slices of deli ham. They have ham salad sandwiches.

When he first asked me if I wanted a ham salad sandwich I immediately thought it was some chopped ham in a mayonnaise kinda thing... like a pasta salad, tuna salad, egg salad.

Nope. It's a ham sandwich with lettuce.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links