Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can we talk about salad please?  (Read 6111 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Can we talk about salad please?
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »

And warm lettuce...

I would add sliced lettuce to packet ramen, makes all the difference!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
And I'm a fan of McDonald's 99c McChicken sandwich, which is their cheap chicken patty with mayonnaise and chopped lettuce... the lettuce was always warm and limp, but I didn't care.  It was cheap and satisfying eats for a poor student.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
And I'm a fan of McDonald's 99c McChicken sandwich, which is their cheap chicken patty with mayonnaise and chopped lettuce... the lettuce was always warm and limp, but I didn't care.  It was cheap and satisfying eats for a poor student.

We both love the double cheeseburger. I add lettuce to mine... I have lettuce with just about everything!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
I'm a late bloomer when it comes to creamy white condiments. (shut it Jimbo)

This made me snort-laugh out loud at work.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
OMG, warm lettuce gives me the dry boak.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
OMG, warm lettuce gives me the dry boak.
I ordered some vegetable fried rice from my Chinese last week and there was warm lettuce in there. I tried to pretend it was cabbage but I know the smell of warm lettuce. Extra boak.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2018, 01:13:21 PM »
My Mom always makes her potato/pasta/coleslaw salads with a mixture of mayo and Miracle Whip. It's really nice.  I like to make mine with a combination of mayonnaise and salad cream. 

I make mine with a mixture of mayo and sour cream/crème fraiche.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
Didn't McDonald's have a weird styrofoam box long ago that kept the lettuce and tomato in a separate section to keep it cool? This would be pre-mcrib.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 216
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »

No seasoning.

Ok, I might have to start an entirely new thread to talk about seasoning! I think I might have to carry my own seasoning kit in my bag with me when I go places. I grew up with soul food so no salt or pepper or garlic powder, etc. hurts my feelings. LOL!!

My Mom always makes her potato/pasta/coleslaw salads with a mixture of mayo and Miracle Whip. It's really nice. 

I'm pretty sure my grandma always used a mix also. The Miracle Whip gave a special zing to it I guess. I only ate Miracle Whip as a child but I have preferred real mayo as an adult. I can't remember the last time I had Miracle Whip honestly but I can't say I miss it.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Didn't McDonald's have a weird styrofoam box long ago that kept the lettuce and tomato in a separate section to keep it cool? This would be pre-mcrib.

Yes! The McDLT.  I don't remember what DLT stood for, but that was the name of the burger.  I'm thinking it was mid-80s...  some of the 'kids' here weren't even born yet!

Brace yourselves!

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've never eaten Miracle Whip. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to creamy white condiments. (shut it Jimbo) I was the kid/teen/adult that ordered all foods plain, with only cheese. And would have a meltdown if warm lettuce (so gross) tomatoes or any kind of sauce showed up on my burger. Being hungry and getting screwed in the drive thru (again) and having your mom tell you to just scrape it off totally sucks and ruins a perfectly good McDonald's.

I can now eat mayo if it comes on my food but I don't buy it unless I need it for a specific recipe, like salad dressing.

And warm lettuce... NEVER! The smell makes me boak.

I once dated a guy who wouldn't eat anything white - no ranch, no mayo, no sour cream, no vanilla ice cream. Nothing.

I was like that about red stuff. My mom used to serve my spaghetti noodles with butter and a dash of salt. Now, I can't get enough marinara. But I still don't go anywhere near ketchup. I find it appalling. Like I don't even want it to touch my hands. The smell of it makes me ill. I won't even use it in a recipe. I have to improvise.

Ok, here's where my weirdness is about to show...

Ketchup just reminds me of small children who always seem to want to touch you or be held by you right after they're done eating. They always have one of five condiments on them - peanut butter, jelly, maple syrup, mustard, or ketchup. I feel like they always smell like one of those items. Ketchup is probably the most prevalent. And then they get it on you and you smell like it.

I know I sound like I hate children now. LOL! I love them, I really do!

Oh and I totally relate to your McDonald's story. If there is ketchup on my burger it will not be eaten. When I was a kid, my mother learned the hard way that her money was gonna go to waste and that I'd starve first. So she started ordering my burgers like this: "Can I get a PLAIN hamburger with nothing on it? Just the meat and the bun." And then before she would drive away, she'd check my burger to be sure it was right. I was a very particular child.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:57:24 PM by MrsMagpie »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
I once dated a guy who wouldn't eat anything white - no ranch, no mayo, no sour cream, no vanilla ice cream. Nothing.

I was like that about red stuff. My mom used to serve my spaghetti noodles with butter and a dash of salt. Now, I can't get enough marinara. But I still don't go anywhere near ketchup. I find it appalling. Like I don't even want it to touch my hands. The smell of it makes me ill. I won't even use it in a recipe. I have to improvise.

Ok, here's where my weirdness is about to show...

Ketchup just reminds me of small children who always seem to want to touch you or be held by you right after they're done eating. They always have one of five condiments on them - peanut butter, jelly, maple syrup, mustard, or ketchup. I feel like they always smell like one of those items. Ketchup is probably the most prevalent. And then they get it on you and you smell like it.

I know I sound like I hate children now. LOL! I love them, I really do!

Oh and I totally relate to your McDonald's story. If there is ketchup on my burger it will not be eaten. When I was a kid, my mother learned the hard way that her money was gonna go to waste and that I'd starve first. So she started ordering my burgers like this: "Can I get a PLAIN hamburger with nothing on it? Just the meat and the bun." And then before she would drive away, she'd check my burger to be sure it was right. I was a very particular child.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
And the rest of the children smell like "outside". Boak inducing smell!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »

I was like that about red stuff.

A friend's little girl would ONLY eat white stuff for several years.  Plain chicken, white bread, plain white rice, etc.  It wasn't about flavour (at all!).  Purely colour.

When I was a kid, my mother learned the hard way that her money was gonna go to waste and that I'd starve first. So she started ordering my burgers like this: "Can I get a PLAIN hamburger with nothing on it? Just the meat and the bun." And then before she would drive away, she'd check my burger to be sure it was right. I was a very particular child.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

When I was in university, I worked at Taco Bell to make ends meet... I can't tell you how many parents would buy their kids soft tacos with just meat in it.  Just a tortilla and beef mince.  Kids didn't even know to ask for nachos, which, as we all know, is where it's really at.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
The McDLT advert made my day!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
And the rest of the children smell like "outside". Boak inducing smell!

You and I may have been separated at birth. My cousin and I would cry when we were kids when my grandparents would make us go outside and do yard work. We weren't crying because we didn't want to do the work. We were crying because we didn't want to smell like "outside." Ha ha ha!!

A friend's little girl would ONLY eat white stuff for several years.  Plain chicken, white bread, plain white rice, etc.  It wasn't about flavour (at all!).  Purely colour.

When I was in university, I worked at Taco Bell to make ends meet... I can't tell you how many parents would buy their kids soft tacos with just meat in it.  Just a tortilla and beef mince.  Kids didn't even know to ask for nachos, which, as we all know, is where it's really at.

I think my diet was mostly white and beige as a child also - very similar to the British diet colors. I survived on carbs.

I would have probably been one of those kids with a tortilla and mince only. But if my mom had said she was going to give me a tortilla I would have probably started crying. I don't think I even knew what that was as a child but basically the word "tortilla" would have sounded strange to my immature ears. Instant rejection. LOL!! And you are so right about the nachos!!! I know that now. I would have rejected them as a child. I was weird. I didn't start eating pizza until I was 14 years old. Weirdo.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab