Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Qualifying for mortgage with ZERO credit?  (Read 3324 times)

• Liked: 163
Re: Qualifying for mortgage with ZERO credit?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
...doesn't ever want to be a renter again like we were for the first half of our marriage. (Sees it as money down the drain).

Here's a good explanation why renting is not money down the drain:

https://affordanything.com/is-renting-better-than-buying-should-i-rent-or-buy/

• Liked: 170
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
Another thing to consider: If you buy the first 'half-decent' house that comes along, if a much much more ideal house comes along you would need to pay stamp duty all over again. People here don't buy houses and move nearly as frequently as they do in the US.

Seriously with the uncertainty of Brexit and predicted house price declines, you might be stuck in a 'half-decent house' for years and years and years because you can't afford to lose the money selling it...

It really is a stupid plan to buy a house upon landing in a new country - and it is a new country. Different gov't, social provision and economic outlook than the one you left!

Please consider waiting until at least the end of 2019 to buy!!!!

Renting is not throwing money away (at least in the short term). It's keeping a maintained roof over your head!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »
Thanks everyone. Sometimes I feel like we're willingly undoing everything we've built here in a decade for a worse situation full of uncertainty and stress. Everything is a roadblock.  If this is the British gov trying to discourage immigration and get their numbers down, well they're doing  a great job, lemme tell ya. :\\\'(

I think DH is blissfully unaware that it's not like we'll slip straight into society over there like we're just moving states. It doesn't matter that he's British now apparently either. He thinks we can grab a new build house near one of his brothers, and we'll both just get jobs immediately, learn to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and we'll be all good. He is not ready to accept the idea that it might not be instant. He won't be happy to know that it can take many many months for a real estate transaction.

Any sane person would look at how complicated this is and scrap the idea of ever moving back for the sake of of our family's wellbeing and security.  :-[ :-\\\\

However I know I will regret missing out on these years of having a loving family. We have none here and it's not realistic to keep dishing out thousands to see them for a couple weeks once a year just to get our "family fix". Family is everything and we've gone without that feeling of support and love for long enough.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:49:05 PM by morecoffee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 768
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
Thanks everyone. Sometimes I feel like we're willingly undoing everything we've built here in a decade for a worse situation full of uncertainty and stress. Everything is a roadblock.  If this is the British gov trying to discourage immigration and get their numbers down, well they're doing  a great job, lemme tell ya. :\\\'(

I think DH is blissfully unaware that it's not like we'll slip straight into society over there like we're just moving states. It doesn't matter that he's British now apparently either. He thinks we can grab a new build house near one of his brothers, and we'll both just get jobs immediately, learn to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and we'll be all good. He is not ready to accept the idea that it might not be instant. He won't be happy to know that it can take many many months for a real estate transaction.

Any sane person would look at how complicated this is and scrap the idea of ever moving back for the sake of of our family's wellbeing and security.  :-[ :-\\\\

However I know I will regret missing out on these years of having a loving family. We have none here and it's not realistic to keep dishing out thousands to see them for a couple weeks once a year just to get our "family fix". Family is everything and we've gone without that feeling of support and love for long enough.
I think your husband just needs to have realistic expectations.

Nothing that you both want is unachievable over here, it just won't be instant. It takes work, time and patience.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
I agree that his stubbornness isn't realistic at all for an international move. He wants to move back as badly as I do,  but at the same time doesn't want to feel like he's "regressing" by not having a house of his own. It's a pride thing I think. I can understand where he's coming from in a way, but to say we aren't moving AT ALL if things don't happen exactly as he hopes is not easy to deal with.  ::) ::) ::)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Moving for family, is 100% the best reason out there.  So what if you rent for a couple of years?  Which will you regret more on your death bed?  Not owning a house for a couple or lost time with those who love you and support you?

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
KFdancer, thank you, I agree with you 100%

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
I agree that his stubbornness isn't realistic at all for an international move. He wants to move back as badly as I do,  but at the same time doesn't want to feel like he's "regressing" by not having a house of his own. It's a pride thing I think. I can understand where he's coming from in a way, but to say we aren't moving AT ALL if things don't happen exactly as he hopes is not easy to deal with.  ::) ::) ::)

Well, he's either going to see sense or he's going to end up cutting off his nose to spite his face. Let's hope it's the former.  Life is short.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab