Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seeing a doctor while here as a visitor from the US  (Read 4106 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Seeing a doctor while here as a visitor from the US
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
The NHS is really pushing your local pharmacists as your first point of contact.

And also trying to educate against the overprescription of antibiotics.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
It will be easier to just go to the pharmacist. The NHS is really pushing your local pharmacists as your first point of contact.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’d say go to the pharmacist first.

You can get throat pastilles with an antibiotic and an anaesthetic in them over the counter, called Tyrozets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
Do they not do strep tests over here?
A positive strep test is the only time I ever got antibiotics for a sore throat back in the States.

Nope.  When I took my daughter recently with 100% classic signs for strep they said they don’t do the tests and that it’s not “strep season”.  Can’t make this stuff up.  Eventually got antibiotics on the third visit.  She was a new child after the antibiotics.  It kills me how long they leave you to suffer here (sometimes).

• Liked: 718
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
Nope.  When I took my daughter recently with 100% classic signs for strep they said they don’t do the tests and that it’s not “strep season”.  Can’t make this stuff up.  Eventually got antibiotics on the third visit.  She was a new child after the antibiotics.  It kills me how long they leave you to suffer here (sometimes).

I listened to a podcast recently by a lady journalist who had spent time in a 3rd world country and on return, to England, felt so sick that she went to the A&E where they immediately admitted her to a private room and started treatment. The private room was because she had an infectious disease. During the night she was moaning with pain and in true NHS style the door opened, a nurse poked her head in, and in a very English accent said, “Let’s stop all this fuss and noise, you’re not dying, you’ve only got a touch of leprosy.”
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 537
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »

You can get throat pastilles with an antibiotic and an anaesthetic in them over the counter, called Tyrozets.

Antibiotics that are OTC?! Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
I listened to a podcast recently by a lady journalist who had spent time in a 3rd world country and on return, to England, felt so sick that she went to the A&E where they immediately admitted her to a private room and started treatment. The private room was because she had an infectious disease. During the night she was moaning with pain and in true NHS style the door opened, a nurse poked her head in, and in a very English accent said, “Let’s stop all this fuss and noise, you’re not dying, you’ve only got a touch of leprosy.”

<sigh>. I’m sure they thought the paracetamol would have done the trick... 

I’m still not over not having pain relief during either of my labours here...  I wonder how long it’ll take until I get over it?

Don’t get me wrong, the NHS is spectacular in so many ways.  But if it’s routine and minor?  There’s still a bit left to be desired.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

Tyrozets really work!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
Tyrozets really work!

Eeeeee!, look at your avatar, ... adorable!!!  :D Is that a baby albatross, Albatross?   ;D

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
Tyrozets really work!

Love your new look!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »
It will be easier to just go to the pharmacist. The NHS is really pushing your local pharmacists as your first point of contact.

A chemist has always been a first port of call for something like that.  The adverts are just reminding people what they should do.
GPs have been reporting a rise in the number of time wasters for years, which is why they wanted the government to bring in a charge for a GP visit and why the then government in about 2006 (2007?) suggested it could be £35. Abuse it and you lose it.

Too many people now prefer to sit in a waiting room for the GP, where they pick up the germs from everyone else and pass their germs back to them.  :)

Don't travel back ill. Go to a pharmacy and ask for the chemist to advise you. You might only need to buy something over the counter for a few quid. If it is something that needs a prescription, then the chemist will tell you to go to a GP or a walk-in centre. It won't cost much. Anyway, you have your insurance and have choices,; you could even go to a privae GP if you wanted to.
Find your local walk-in centre
https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Walk-in%20centre/LocationSearch/663

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:54:38 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
A chemist has always been a first port of call for something like that.  The adverts are just reminding people what they should do. Too many people now prefer to sit in a waiting room for the GP, where they pick up the germs from everyone else and pass their germs back to them.  :)

GPs have been reporting a rise in the number of time wasters for years, which is why they wanted the government to bring in a charge for a GP visit and why the then government in about 2007, suggested it could be £35.
Americans wouldn't necessarily know that however especially if they are new immigrants.

Our first instinct is to go to the doctor. In a lot of cases we could get same day appointments if you called early in the morning and you could always go to an urgent care clinic or minute clinic. We aren't used to going to a pharmacist for a routine medical diagnosis. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 07:28:58 PM »
Americans wouldn't necessarily know that however especially if they are new immigrants.

That's why they are putting out these adverts to show how the NHS works. GPs will keep pushing for a charge for a visit otherwise if the time wasters keep taking up their time: just as other countries with a national health service, already charge for a GP visit. NHS GPs and dentists are self employed and have contracts with the NHS: they need to make a living too.

Our first instinct is to go to the doctor. In a lot of cases we could get same day appointments if you called early in the morning and you could always go to an urgent care clinic or minute clinic. 

We have non-NHS GPs, hosptials etc too, like the US system, where insurance is used. Many employees will give insurance to their employees. Other people might buy their own medical insurance, or pay when they want they want treatment.

The days of the same day appointment for the NHS GPs are becoming too hard to get. If the time wasters can be stopped, then those appointments can go to those who really need to see a GP.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:34:55 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »

Eeeeee!, look at your avatar, ... adorable!!!  :D Is that a baby albatross, Albatross?   ;D

It is... as was my previous pic,  but he was partway through losing his fluff, so looked funnier.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab