Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: There’s a lot to like about food quality here  (Read 3682 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: There’s a lot to like about food quality here
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
And let me not get started on the rise in my alcohol consumption... Sheesh!!

Yup, that's a killer.  Combine that with small children entering into my life and I need happy hour.  ;D

• Liked: 216
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
Yup, that's a killer.  Combine that with small children entering into my life and I need happy hour.  ;D

Ha!! Like, I never knew I could drink that much. And I'm always like "No, I'm good. I've had enough" and then end up with at least three more drinks after that.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 674
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
Chips. Glorious, golden, fluffy, salty chips.  [smiley=laugh.gif]
Served with everything, including mac-and-cheese or lasagna....

I really would kill for some chips right now. I am down to 194. I have 14 more pounds to go before I will consider it "a win". And then I'm having the best chips-and-cheese from the shop near Oran Mor. With extra salt and vinegar. (sigh)

The hard part is going to be keeping it all off over the winter. I don't get out much in the winter, to walk, so while hibernation is lovely, it's going to mean I'm going to have to really watch my calorie intake this year. Unlike last year when I had the most amazing salmon, potatoes, steak, etc., several times a week. And I'll have to not even buy cookies to keep in the house. At all.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »
And yeah, the tomatoes here are... mediocre. You do need the right soil, and the right amount of heat, to grow 'em.  My suspicions are that the ones in the shops were bred for shelf life, rather than flavor. And for transportability.

And you can't get russet potatoes. But they have some amazing others. The King Edwards are excellent, boiled.

Back to potatoes again. Dangerously close to chips.

I need chips.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »
And yeah, the tomatoes here are... mediocre. You do need the right soil, and the right amount of heat, to grow 'em.  My suspicions are that the ones in the shops were bred for shelf life, rather than flavor. And for transportability. .

They certainly do that with strawberries at the expense of flavour. But again, pick the right varieties and grow your own and they are wonderful.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »

Chips. Glorious, golden, fluffy, salty chips.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

The hard part is going to be keeping it all off over the winter. I don't get out much in the winter, to walk, so while hibernation is lovely, it's going to mean I'm going to have to really watch my calorie intake this year. Unlike last year when I had the most amazing salmon, potatoes, steak, etc., several times a week. And I'll have to not even buy cookies to keep in the house. At all.

Can you get an indoor stationary bike? I need to get myself one that's recumbent. I struggle with winter activity too. Eating well is definitely my comfort during the cold months!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
They certainly do that with strawberries at the expense of flavour. But again, pick the right varieties and grow your own and they are wonderful.  :)

Wish I could! I need to move into a house with some land for a garden. When the Daughter finishes her school in a few years, maybe.

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »

Can you get an indoor stationary bike? I need to get myself one that's recumbent. I struggle with winter activity too. Eating well is definitely my comfort during the cold months!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nope, I can't bike. I have a blown lumbar disc, and a couple bulging, and some spinal stenosis. Being on a bike, recumbent or otherwise, is out. My exercise is pretty much walking, and it can't be on too much of a grade. I have the Wii, and I guess I'll be firing it up more than I have in the past. It actually does give ya a pretty good workout, on the Wii Fit program.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:52:21 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
And you can't get russet potatoes. But they have some amazing others. The King Edwards are excellent, boiled.

Back to potatoes again. Dangerously close to chips.

I need chips.

I love chips... but for the first time in my life, I got tired of them. My husband is a chip pusher. We have them with everything. Like, we go to the Indian restaurant and have beautiful food with onion bhaji, garlic naan bread, peshwari bread, and pilau rice on the side. And then he's like, "Can we also have a portion of chips?" Wha?!?!? LOL!!!

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 11:54:09 PM »
Yeah, the chips with all is kinda much!

I like chips for chips' sake. Aside from like with fish, or chips-n-cheese, I'd rarely have them with anything else.

But those chips-n-cheese, sigh. To die for.  ;D

• Liked: 585
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 08:19:41 AM »
Chips.  Meh.
I'm not crazy about them, and almost never eat them.  If I eat them, I eat 2 or 3, max.
I think I've just had a lot of poor/mediocre chips, so I gave up on them before ever getting a really good one.

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »
For me, it's kind of like they are a portable potato meal. I LOVE potatoes. Seriously.
And there are some spectacularly bad chips out there, yep.
And some that are heaven.
Great, I need breakfast, so I'm still thinking about chips.  ::)

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
For me, it's kind of like they are a portable potato meal. I LOVE potatoes. Seriously.
And there are some spectacularly bad chips out there, yep.
And some that are heaven.
Great, I need breakfast, so I'm still thinking about chips.  ::)

I do love chips overall... but they only go with certain things for me. Or I can gladly eat a big plate of them on their own. That was the go to meal back in the day when my friends and I would go out partying and needed a late night snack after the clubs closed. A huge plate of french fries!

While I do love potatoes, I'm more of a rice person. I have West Indian roots so rice was always the go-to in my house growing up.

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
I have never quite been able to make rice properly. It is always either too gooey or the bottom burns in the pan.  :(
I do like it, though. And now that I have discovered Indian food, I make it several times a month. Thankfully curry masks a multitude of failings. ;D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »
The pomme frites in the Netherlands are the bomb! Those Dutch really know how to make a great fry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab