Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Providing Proof of Right to Work in UK/DVLA Having My BRP Card  (Read 837 times)

• Liked: 46
Providing Proof of Right to Work in UK/DVLA Having My BRP Card
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Hey everyone!

So I've been in the UK for 6 weeks now, and I've hit the ground running taking care of the essentials (national insurance number, registering with GP, getting my name on our utility bills, opening a bank account, etc). Right now my goals are looking for work and getting my provisional licence. I've applied for the provisional licence online, and just yesterday I received my completion form prompting me to mail them a photo and proof that I am allowed to live in the UK. I've also been steadily applying for jobs in the last couple weeks with no luck yet, but it has just occurred to me that I am about to fork over my BRP and passport to DVLA.

What happens if someone calls me for an interview? I can only assume they will want to see my BRP card to prove I am allowed to work in the U.K.

My guess now is I should ease off the job search until I have my provisional licence, BRP, and passport back from DVLA, but I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue before?
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 4985
Re: Providing Proof of Right to Work in UK/DVLA Having My BRP Card
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »
Make a photocopy of your BRP.  That should work just fine for a potential employer (I've actually only ever been asked to show proof after I've been hired).  You should get the BRP back quite quickly from DVLA but have a photo/copy just in case you need it.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Make a photocopy of your BRP.  That should work just fine for a potential employer (I've actually only ever been asked to show proof after I've been hired).  You should get the BRP back quite quickly from DVLA but have a photo/copy just in case you need it.

I've had agencies ask me for my BRP and passport before they would allow me to go to an interview, and then had to provide my BRP and passport again for the actual employer so they could copy it. It's a bit repetitive.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

That was my initial idea, but I wasn't sure if employers were going to be firm about having the actual card to present to them as proof. I'll make sure I've got a copy before I ship it off to Swansea. Thanks!

I've had agencies ask me for my BRP and passport before they would allow me to go to an interview, and then had to provide my BRP and passport again for the actual employer so they could copy it. It's a bit repetitive.

Yeah, I wondered if that would happen. I might hold off for now on applying for work until I have it back. I've been corresponding with a recruiter today that rejected me on a job, and she's given me advice on how to tailor my approach. I guess this will be a good time to go back to the drawing board before I start approaching other employers.  ;)
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »
My guess now is I should ease off the job search until I have my provisional licence, BRP, and passport back from DVLA, but I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue before?

I don’t believe you need to send your passport to the DVLA, just your BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
I don’t believe you need to send your passport to the DVLA, just your BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is correct. Just the BRP is needed.

And I had mine back pretty quickly. I don't think anything job related will go so quickly that you will need your BRP in the next 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links