Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does a decent shipping company exist? US to UK.  (Read 5477 times)

• Liked: 216
Re: Does a decent shipping company exist? US to UK.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
Dave is who I contacted as well. They only had one company in Buffalo they worked with, and they were very very slow to confirm the date and time they could pick up my shipment. :( But that was entirely on the Buffalo company, not so much Ranier, and they apologised profusely. I'm sure in bigger cities they probably have a few people they work with!

I shouldn't have commented about not being able to go home. My uncle passed away yesterday :( (We knew it could happen anytime, it was a miracle he lived as long as he did due to congenital issues - but it still stings.)

Margo... I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it must be so difficult with the distance. Sending you lots of love and peaceful energy.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
So sorry Margo.

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
Rainier is who we will use when we move. They are HQ'd right here in Seattle not far from where I live. This is what they quoted us on "Sample" dates, delivery location and amount of stuff (since I'm not exactly sure how much we'll be shipping yet).

The pluses for me using them over UPakWeShip is that they'll handle all the packing of our stuff and loading it onto the truck for an extra $1,600. I figure there will be more than enough stuff going on for me to worry about that if I can pay someone to pack up my house and load it onto a truck, it's money well spent. I'm trying to budget to make the move as stressfree as possible. I know I can do it cheaper but this way works for me.

These are the quotes I received by email from Rainier and off the UPakWeShip website:

Rainier Overseas Movers:
Estimated volume: 550-650Cf. (~4000lbs)
Door to Door: $6,650.00 – 20ft Container

Estimated transit time 50-60 days door to door

We suggest you purchase door to door all risk marine insurance while goods are in transit.  Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. will not assume any responsibility for uninsured or under insured shipments.

You can either arrange your own insurance or arrange it through Rainier Overseas at a rate of $30.00 per $1000.00 value. ($250 deductible)

The prices above include the following:

*Pre-packing at your home (Professional packing, labor and materials & export wrapping furniture)
*Pick up from your home in Renton, WA
*Loading household goods into a 20ft. ocean container
*Delivery of loaded/sealed container to Port Seattle
*Preparation of all necessary US Export and Customs documentation   
*Payment of all ocean freight charges (steamship) and US terminal fees
*Customs Clearance at destination –Including Terminal Handling Charges (THC) (excluding duties and taxes, if any)
*Delivery into residence Stevenage (up to second floor delivery), setup basic furniture, place boxes in desired rooms, unpacking to flat surfaces and removal of debris (day of delivery)

PRICE EXCLUDES UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED AS EXTRA SERVICES:

Difficult access, shuttle, long carry, parking permit, services above 2nd floor, external elevator, heavy lift charges (e.g. piano), new furniture or kit type furniture assembly, any third-party fees, charges incurred by storage, insurance.

UPakWeShip - 20 Foot Shipping Container
 $5,095.00

All Inclusive Rate* , Just $1,000 Deposit Per Container Due At Booking 

ORIGIN: Seattle

DESTINATION**: London Area

TOTAL SHIPMENT VOLUME: 1,000 Cubic Feet

Dimensions (In Feet):    Length: 20 ' | Width: 8 ' | Height: 8.5 ' 

SERVICE DESCRIPTION: Door to door. 2 hours free for you to load and unload, we do everything in between. Whatever fits, ships for lump sum price. 

To UK & Europe: 6-8 Weeks

UPakWeShip Door To Door U-CRATE 100 x3
 $4,089.00

All Inclusive Rate*, Just $400 Deposit Per Crate Due At Booking 

ORIGIN: Main Cities

DESTINATION**: Anywhere Mainland England

TOTAL SHIPMENT VOLUME: 300 Cubic Feet (3 U-CRATE 100's)

Dimensions (In Inches):    Length: 45 " | Width: 45 " | Height: 78 " 

MAXIMUM WEIGHT***: 1,000lbs per U-CRATE 100 

SERVICE DESCRIPTION: 300 Total Cubic Feet (3 U-CRATE 100s), curbside all cities to curbside all-inclusive. Whatever fits, ships for one lump sum price. We send you the crates in advance. When you are ready, we will collect and ship it to your curbside overseas. 

To UK & Europe: 8-10 Weeks

• Liked: 676
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 01:08:56 AM »
On UPak, make sure if you live in someplace like an apartment complex that they can get in to pick up your pallets. I was originally going to self-load pallets and a crate and it turned out, with extremely short notice, that they could not get their big truck in to the complex to pick it up - I was going to have to haul it all to their depot.

And be aware that the UPak crates are basically big cardboard boxes on pallets. That might work well for people who have lots of boxes of stuff or items that can go with minimal protection, but be sure to note the interior measurments of the crates and buy boxes of the right size to fit in it if you're planning to load boxes in there.  With a professional mover, on an international move, if you use lift vans they are going to be wooden crates. As in seriously solid sides. More protection there for more fragile items.

Something else to consider - if you're getting a 20ft container from UPak, you need to know for sure that you're going to be able to get that container in to where you are going to be living in the UK once you arrive. (If you're blocking traffic, etc., it's on you. Or if your street is very narrow or winding, etc., or you end up in a high-rise it'll end up costing you more.) And getting rid of all the packing material is a royal pain in the tush!  We had our guys only unpack a few things (the dressers, carpets, and lamps, mainly) as we wanted to unpack a bit at a time and put things away a little at a time. So they did take the large mound of paper from that away with them. But we filled up our communal dumpster out back several times, over the next month, with other wrapping and boxes.  I don't know how they handle the big 20 ft shipping containers, but with the lift vans they (the international moving company) unpack them at the warehouse on arrival and load them onto a truck for delivery. So the incoming movers are hauling boxes and wrapped furniture up the stairs.

On an international move, if you have furniture of any real value, I'd think you really do want to do a serious international wrap. The guys from Sullivan used the wrap that has the moisture barrier, etc. - very sturdy paper wrapping job. If you just have boxes and are going to do it all yourself, you might consider maybe putting a hefty-bag or something inside into which you put your stuff. I did that for all my books, and LPs, when we self-packed them (when we thought we were still doing a self-move).  You wouldn't want to do that for a carpet, though. When a wool carpet gets hot (and if you're on the West Coast your stuff is going to go through the Panama Canal) it can mold. The professional movers know that stuff - I'd have lost my oriental carpet to mold if it had shipped as I'd packed it.

Best of luck with it all!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:41:14 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 02:18:32 AM »
Thanks so much for the input! So far it's looking like Rainier is going to be my best option. I definitely need someone to pack me up as I have some very fragile items that I am afraid to pack myself. I am in communications with Rainier now. I'm just hoping we can get the shipment out sooner than later. I so don't want to have to travel back here after I pick up my BRP. I'm ready to just settle down at home with my hubby already!

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »
Yeah, I also liked that Rainier handles the entire inventory and documentation. I just didnt want to worry about whether I screw something up since we are bringing a lot of stuff over. This is our life-time move. So you just weigh the cost vs. the relief of stress. :) At least I'm hoping thats how it goes. haha

Good luck MrsMagpie.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
Yeah, I also liked that Rainier handles the entire inventory and documentation. I just didnt want to worry about whether I screw something up since we are bringing a lot of stuff over. This is our life-time move. So you just weigh the cost vs. the relief of stress. :) At least I'm hoping thats how it goes. haha

Good luck MrsMagpie.

Thanks! I know what you mean. It's worth it for me to pay a bit more and have some peace of mind... I hope!  :)

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Also, when you are looking to sell of anything you don't mind getting rid of, don't overlook using Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I have sold SO much stuff on there very quickly. My parents used Facebook Marketplace last year when they were moving out of their house and they were shocked how easy it was. They'd post something in the morning and by the evening someone would be coming to pick it up. And they are in the 80's. I was proud of them for using modern technology to solve their problems. haha They sold stuff they thought they were just going to have to donate.

And don't forget to share your accomplishments with use also! I think its easy for people to get bogged down with all of the stress and negative things they are facing when moving that they forget to highlight the positive things too. So when you get a room packed up or sell off something big or check off another thing on your list, let us know! I think the positivity for the group will also help you keep going. Positive reinforcement and all of that. :)

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Also, when you are looking to sell of anything you don't mind getting rid of, don't overlook using Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I have sold SO much stuff on there very quickly. My parents used Facebook Marketplace last year when they were moving out of their house and they were shocked how easy it was. They'd post something in the morning and by the evening someone would be coming to pick it up. And they are in the 80's. I was proud of them for using modern technology to solve their problems. haha They sold stuff they thought they were just going to have to donate.

And don't forget to share your accomplishments with use also! I think its easy for people to get bogged down with all of the stress and negative things they are facing when moving that they forget to highlight the positive things too. So when you get a room packed up or sell off something big or check off another thing on your list, let us know! I think the positivity for the group will also help you keep going. Positive reinforcement and all of that. :)

Didn't have any luck with Facebook marketplace for a couple items. I may try again. And I'm kinda leery about Craigslist especially being in a big city like Miami. Gave away a few things. Have a couple things I'd like to sell. But since I got rid of so much two years ago when I moved from LA to Miami, there's not much left to get rid of.

I emailed my TOR1 application last night. At least I got that accomplished. Hopefully it will have a positive outcome. I'll definitely update with more of the good things once they happen! Ha ha!!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »
I had no luck with facebook marketplace, it was entirely scammers when I posted things. I couldn't handle the number of fake messages and people trying to get personal info. I ended up using LetGo and meeting people in public places for anything  of real value ($50+) and donated the rest. :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
Same and with Craigslist. People would say they were coming by and wouldn't. People would argue price (even though I'd advertised it as "firm"). Etc., etc.
I ended up calling AmVets, who happily came and took several truckloads away and left me receipts so I could take it off my taxes.

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
Wow interesting. I guess that goes to show it all depends on your area. We've had great experiences. BUT at least there are so many ways to get rid of stuff now-a-days. :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
I sold loads through Craigslist and eBay back in the day when I moved.

I had a lots of issues with the eBay purchases.  Lots of "oh it arrived damaged" crap so I ended up with a lot of refunds.  I can't do a lot of things, but I'm pretty good at packaging things so they don't get broken....  ::)

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I sold loads through Craigslist and eBay back in the day when I moved.

I had a lots of issues with the eBay purchases.  Lots of "oh it arrived damaged" crap so I ended up with a lot of refunds.  I can't do a lot of things, but I'm pretty good at packaging things so they don't get broken....  ::)

I think I'm just at the point of wanting to get it all done so I can just move already. I so don't have enough patience right now to deal with these people in Miami. They're kinda flaky.  [smiley=shifty.gif]  ;)

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
Sometimes... just donating it is the best way to go. :) haha

My INTENTION is to have garage sales and list some items for sale as we get closer to our move but we'll see how that works out when the time comes. haha There are some things I obviously just can't give away and will have to try and sell. But for all that other stuff... I think I may just say "Screw it. Goodwill/Salvation Army/Etc., just take it so that its out of my house!" haha

I also try to not be TOO emotionally attached to much and remember "It's just stuff" but yeah, there is "stuff" that I want to bring with me. Hell, I still have boxes of comic books from when I was 13-14 yo (I'm 44 now) that I've moved numerous times throughout FL, to GA and out to Seattle with me. I am vowing that they will NOT come with me to England. Well, I'll cherry pick a few but then find a good owner to take the rest. haha

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab