Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does a decent shipping company exist? US to UK.  (Read 5480 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Does a decent shipping company exist? US to UK.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »
Sometimes... just donating it is the best way to go. :) haha

My INTENTION is to have garage sales and list some items for sale as we get closer to our move but we'll see how that works out when the time comes. haha There are some things I obviously just can't give away and will have to try and sell. But for all that other stuff... I think I may just say "Screw it. Goodwill/Salvation Army/Etc., just take it so that its out of my house!" haha

I also try to not be TOO emotionally attached to much and remember "It's just stuff" but yeah, there is "stuff" that I want to bring with me. Hell, I still have boxes of comic books from when I was 13-14 yo (I'm 44 now) that I've moved numerous times throughout FL, to GA and out to Seattle with me. I am vowing that they will NOT come with me to England. Well, I'll cherry pick a few but then find a good owner to take the rest. haha

Hold onto the comic books. I had first editions of Thor and some others, and in an earlier move donated them. Turns out they were worth a bundle....

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »
Well, several years back, when I was going through a financial issue, I actually took them into a shop to sell. Unfortunately, the guy was like "I can only give you like $200 for all the boxes."

The reason being is that most of the comics are from the late 80's, early 90's when comics were booming and they were printing off millions of them. Then, he said, Gen X grew up and were selling them off so the back-issue market is flooded with the exact same issues I have.

But what I plan on doing is going through them and picking out the issues I KNOW are worth more and holding onto those. But I'm curious if US versions of comics have any more value in the UK or not (much like CD shops charge more for Import CDs). Something I'll have to look into.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
Well, several years back, when I was going through a financial issue, I actually took them into a shop to sell. Unfortunately, the guy was like "I can only give you like $200 for all the boxes."

The reason being is that most of the comics are from the late 80's, early 90's when comics were booming and they were printing off millions of them. Then, he said, Gen X grew up and were selling them off so the back-issue market is flooded with the exact same issues I have.

But what I plan on doing is going through them and picking out the issues I KNOW are worth more and holding onto those. But I'm curious if US versions of comics have any more value in the UK or not (much like CD shops charge more for Import CDs). Something I'll have to look into.
Just keep the terms of the TOR in mind, you can't sell anything you bring for 12 months and storage is at a premium here.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
Ok so this Dave at Rainier is being terrible about communication. I'm just so confused. So many have said they used them and recommend them. Everyone said they were great with communication so I don't understand why I am having such a challenge with getting any. I have responded in a timely manner to any questions and provided all the info he has asked for. And I think I've been patient enough about giving him time to respond when I am tight on time. How frustrating!! I'm the kind of person like, just freaking tell me if you don't want to deal with me. I'll leave you the heck alone. I have explained twice now that I am on a visa and need to get this going. I responded to his last email 48 hours ago with answering all the questions he asked. Like, I don't have days and days to wait for a response. Obviously no urgency or desire to work with me. Guess it's on to the next. FFS.

I am so stressed out about this dagblasted move. I need a stiff drink.
Have you tried speaking on the phone? I had a call with him while I was working out the finer details. If it's been 48hrs its worth a call since you are feeling so stressed.

• Liked: 216
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 11:34:10 PM »
Have you tried speaking on the phone? I had a call with him while I was working out the finer details. If it's been 48hrs its worth a call since you are feeling so stressed.

So, I emailed again asking if they'd be able to do it or not and that I need to secure something soon. He responded quickly. But I'm just feeling a bit unsure about them now. He first asked if I'd like to have someone come out to do a survey. I said yes. Now he just wants to send liftvans based on what I told him I am shipping. Is this normal to not have someone come out and look at my stuff?
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 11:37:47 PM »
So, I emailed again asking if they'd be able to do it or not and that I need to secure something soon. He responded quickly. But I'm just feeling a bit unsure about them now. He first asked if I'd like to have someone come out to do a survey. I said yes. Now he just wants to send liftvans based on what I told him I am shipping. Is this normal to not have someone come out and look at my stuff?
It could be because he knows you're in a hurry and doesn't want to risk wasting time. But call... He can probably explain why he suggested that and you can decide on the best option.

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
It could be because he knows you're in a hurry and doesn't want to risk wasting time. But call... He can probably explain why he suggested that and you can decide on the best option.

Yeah, maybe... In my very first correspondence with him I explained that I am a bit rushed for time. And that's when he asked if I'd like someone to come out for a survey. I don't know...  Either I'll get it figured out now or it can all just stay here until Spring 2019. I can't afford to travel back and forth anymore any time soon.  :\\\'(

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 03:24:47 AM »
Yeah, maybe... In my very first correspondence with him I explained that I am a bit rushed for time. And that's when he asked if I'd like someone to come out for a survey. I don't know...  Either I'll get it figured out now or it can all just stay here until Spring 2019. I can't afford to travel back and forth anymore any time soon.  :\\\'(

Or it could be that they are busier now too. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. The shipping company I used (not Ranier) quoted me for 200 cubic feet just based on what I described. We ended up going over that a bit but I already knew that I would be charged at a pro-rated rate per cubic foot so wasn't concerned.
Just make sure you understand the cost implications either way, (of being under or going over the estimate) for your company.

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
Or it could be that they are busier now too. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. The shipping company I used (not Ranier) quoted me for 200 cubic feet just based on what I described. We ended up going over that a bit but I already knew that I would be charged at a pro-rated rate per cubic foot so wasn't concerned.
Just make sure you understand the cost implications either way, (of being under or going over the estimate) for your company.

I've reached out to Robinsons now and got a quick initial response. Let's see if their communication is any better. You just want to feel like your stuff is in good hands and that you'll be able to discuss the status of your belongings throughout the process. It's already stressful enough so it's nice when a company tries their best to alleviate that.

I'll be sure to make sure I understand all costs associated with the move. Definitely don't want any surprises. I'd love to only have 200 cubic feet but I'm afraid it's going to be more like 400. I just can't get rid of anything more. I've already gotten rid of so much when I moved from LA to Miami. Plus, I'm thinking that the move would cost the same as replacing everything anyway so it's probably worth it in the end.

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
I've reached out to Robinsons now and got a quick initial response. Let's see if their communication is any better. You just want to feel like your stuff is in good hands and that you'll be able to discuss the status of your belongings throughout the process. It's already stressful enough so it's nice when a company tries their best to alleviate that.

I'll be sure to make sure I understand all costs associated with the move. Definitely don't want any surprises. I'd love to only have 200 cubic feet but I'm afraid it's going to be more like 400. I just can't get rid of anything more. I've already gotten rid of so much when I moved from LA to Miami. Plus, I'm thinking that the move would cost the same as replacing everything anyway so it's probably worth it in the end.

Yes, you have to be comfortable with whomever you choose!  :)
I'd say it's far better to ship something and then realise you needn't have bothered, than to get rid of it and end up wishing you had brought it with you.

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
Yes, you have to be comfortable with whomever you choose!  :)
I'd say it's far better to ship something and then realise you needn't have bothered, than to get rid of it and end up wishing you had brought it with you.

Yes, totally agree! Plus, I feel like these are all things I worked for and I appreciate them. I'm not in any way materialistic. We had a house fire several years back and lost everything. So, I have learned to never ever really be attached to material goods... not even the ones we consider "irreplaceable." They're only things. And they can be gone in a flash. What's most important are our experiences and our memories. I'm more afraid to lose those. But, I value and take care of the things I do have. I never take them for granted. I am grateful.  :)

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:03 PM »
Yes, totally agree! Plus, I feel like these are all things I worked for and I appreciate them. I'm not in any way materialistic. We had a house fire several years back and lost everything. So, I have learned to never ever really be attached to material goods... not even the ones we consider "irreplaceable." They're only things. And they can be gone in a flash. What's most important are our experiences and our memories. I'm more afraid to lose those. But, I value and take care of the things I do have. I never take them for granted. I am grateful.  :)

It's nice to look at a thing and think about the memories it brings back.  :)

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
It's nice to look at a thing and think about the memories it brings back.  :)

So true... It's all a part of our story and our journey on this planet.  ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »
Mrs. Magpie, I can honestly say that I wish I had brought *more* with me.  Not materialistic, but I had some nice stuff that would have definitely fit in my home(s) here and have cost a bomb to replace.  The quality isn't as nice here and even Ikea is pricey for what it is.  Nothing wrong with bringing stuff and deciding if it does/doesn't work.

In case you haven't read any of the threads about what people miss.  The best things to bring from the US will be linens (sheets, towels, blankets) and I think a lot of kitchen essentials have better selections in the US (pots, pans, utensils, cutlery, plates).

And we haven't even talked about jeans yet.   ;D

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:29 PM »
Mrs. Magpie, I can honestly say that I wish I had brought *more* with me.  Not materialistic, but I had some nice stuff that would have definitely fit in my home(s) here and have cost a bomb to replace.  The quality isn't as nice here and even Ikea is pricey for what it is.  Nothing wrong with bringing stuff and deciding if it does/doesn't work.

In case you haven't read any of the threads about what people miss.  The best things to bring from the US will be linens (sheets, towels, blankets) and I think a lot of kitchen essentials have better selections in the US (pots, pans, utensils, cutlery, plates).

And we haven't even talked about jeans yet.   ;D

I'm glad you're telling me this. It really does help me to decide. And I think I will just splurge to bring everything I want to have. I have some high quality kitchen stuff that I know I won't be able to find there or else it will be really expensive. I know I have to hang on to my things for at least the first 12 months of living there. I have to get a storage room to begin with but we are planning on moving house as we need a bit more space than what my husband already has. I'm sure my things will work out nicely then.  :)

But what's this about jeans?? Is a trip to Macy's in order before I leave?  ???

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab