Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where would I find....  (Read 621 times)

• Liked: 676
Where would I find....
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
Ok, so I'm basically looking for more pantry storage space. I don't, of course, have a pantry, just some wooden Ikea shelves next to the fridge. SO, what I would like to find is one of those hanging units (I had one in the States) that would hang off the back of my kitchen door, which is always propped open anyway. Of course, the Daughter mentioned that the door might not have hinges designed for the extra weight of, say, three or four dozen cans of soup, so I am thinking I'd hang it off the side of the very sturdy wooden Ikea unit instead.  (Besides, the kitchen door is thicker than a standard door, and hooks never fit over the top of it anyway.)

The problem is, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I do NOT want something I have to screw on/nail on, but something that will hang from brackets. 

I had one like this in the States  and cannot find it here (short of ordering it from the States and paying shipping, etc.).  I'm looking to do this on the cheap. I've looked at DIY.com (B&Q) and a general Google search. Not finding it. Anyone seen anything like this here?

• Liked: 6110
Re: Where would I find....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »
Ok, so I'm basically looking for more pantry storage space. I don't, of course, have a pantry, just some wooden Ikea shelves next to the fridge. SO, what I would like to find is one of those hanging units (I had one in the States) that would hang off the back of my kitchen door, which is always propped open anyway. Of course, the Daughter mentioned that the door might not have hinges designed for the extra weight of, say, three or four dozen cans of soup, so I am thinking I'd hang it off the side of the very sturdy wooden Ikea unit instead.  (Besides, the kitchen door is thicker than a standard door, and hooks never fit over the top of it anyway.)

The problem is, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I do NOT want something I have to screw on/nail on, but something that will hang from brackets. 

I had one like this in the States  and cannot find it here (short of ordering it from the States and paying shipping, etc.).  I'm looking to do this on the cheap. I've looked at DIY.com (B&Q) and a general Google search. Not finding it. Anyone seen anything like this here?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6086949?storeID=259&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7Cacid:480-316-7430%7Ccid:596267949%7Cagid:30099631713%7Ctid:pla-279405729269%7Ccrid:94123194033%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:7717698248769884223%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o5%7Cmt:%7Cloc:1007359&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI__-UwavU3QIVBpPtCh1YqQr1EAQYBSABEgK1svD_BwE

Any of these any good?

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
Saw those, thanks!

The first one would take up to 3 months to get here (so, coming directly from China then?).

The second one cautions against putting "heavy items" in it. (So, what can you actually put in it then? I need something sturdy enough to handle kilner jars and cans of soup. I do wish the advertisers would give a weight limit if there is one.)

The third one is hella cheap (pricewise) and apparently from the reviews has a tendency to collapse. If I can't find anything else I might try it and gorilla-glue the hell out of the stoppers, or possibly use some cable-ties to take some of the weight off the top by attaching one of the baskets to the wooden Ikea shelf - assuming they were close enough together to do that.... but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Hmmm, will hold that one in reserve. It doesn't seem to be very sturdy. (Probably why it's on such good clearance!)

Thanks for looking, tho!

• Liked: 6110

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
That might do, yeah.  ;D  It's the same one as in my first post.

But it'd be cheaper to have the one sent over from the States.

I know, I'm soooo picky. ::)  And a cheapskate on top of it!  I think I'm going to go out to B&Q and see if they have any of those modular shelving units, the ones that you normally screw onto a wall  (two or more parallel, vertical rails) and then attach brackets or shelving to it. I might have to zip-tie a couple of rails to the Ikea shelves and go from there.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:44:50 PM by Nan D. »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »
Lakeland is usually worth a look?
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/23098/4-Tier-Over-Door-Storage-Rack

Wilko?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-over-door-rack/p/0437087?nst=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuafdBRDmARIsAPpBmVXC6o5cveVE39ooQR2GDKs9Be5EehMtsar36Vv-LY5WKu6nmB16OnAaArHxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe worth a look through Nisbets as well for different ideas/approaches?  I have catering shelves in my storeroom/brewery from them and they're ace.
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/kitchenware-and-knives/kitchen-storage-and-shelving/_/a33-2

Hi. Thanks for the ideas.  I'd been to Lakeland, and Wilko. (And Argos... basically I ended up Googling "over door shelves" and several similar terms.)  What I keep getting is relatively flimsy units or ones that are not deep enough to put at least a can of soup in. They seem to be more geared to spices and things like cling film. I can get my "old" unit sent over from the states for about 45 pounds from Amazon.com, and so far that seems the most likely one to buy if I'm going pre-made.  But I'm still a-lookin!

I'm going to look at Nisbets shortly - a quick glance was interesting! My problem is that I have very little floor space in which to put the shelves. They need to hang off the kitchen door or attach to my Ikea unit (there's about 6 ft tall x 3.5 ft wide by 7 inches deep of wasted space there that would be fine for storing cans of soup and jars of stuff I've put up that I don't need to get to quickly. I'm leaning towards trying to build something and attach it to the Ikea, as that way when I need something from the rack I can just close the kitchen door (which is currently propped open and coming up against the Ikea shelves that are next to it).  There is a strange baseboard in most of my flat - I assume it's where they ran all the pipes and electricals. I think this building once-upon-a-time had a central boiler, as there is a chimney at one end of the building and none of these flats have fireplaces. It was an old government building at one point, so I am betting there was a boiler that fed all the separate rooms. Now each flat has a combi-boiler and the wonky baseboards. Which are about six inches high and stick out from the wall several inches. So normal shelves can't fit flush up against the wall. They are good and sturdy, though. I had considered going to B&Q and having some stock lumber cut and frame out some very narrow shelves that I could nail/glue together and just sit on that baseboard. It's wide enough to handle soup cans or small plants, or some decorative tchotskys (sp?). Would have to paint it, though. All together that brings the price back up to close to the original send-from-the-USA shelves.

The Daughter had a stroke of genius when we bought the Ikea stuff. Since it is the shelving that you use pegs in the uprights to sit the shelves on, she just measured the baseboard and then put the back uprights' pegs in an equivalent distance lower. The back legs sit up on the baseboard and the front are on the floor. And the shelves are perfectly level, and flush against the wall. Our trash and recycling containers fit neatly under the bottom shelf, and we have flour jars on the top shelf so the extra bit of wood from the uprights isn't visable. She's really good at stuff like that, thankfully! If I had more floor space, I'd just get more of those units.

I know Ikea makes wire baskets to hang off some of their other units. I'm going to have to see if maybe the bit that hooks onto the main unit can be bent or otherwise made to attach to the wooden unit I have now. It would only give me three baskets to work with, but that's better than nothing. Unless I attached more underneath to like hang like an old-style macrame potted plant holder using some lightweight chain or something. Since it wouldn't be subject to movement if it was attached to the existing shelving (as opposed to hanging off the back of the door) that might be a way to go as well. And since it's all basically behind the open door, it's not particularly visable, so it can be ugly as sin.  ;D  I might just have B&Q cut that stock and make sort of a rectangle frame out of it. the basic dimensions of the Ikea unit. Then put in cross-pieces as shelves and slide the whole thing in behind the door. I'd have to secure it to the Ikea shelves, probably with cable-ties, just to make sure it didn't ever wobble when fully loaded. That might be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

hmmmmm.  I really regret having left all my tools behind. I had a box of hand tools that was supposed to get loaded into the crate, but they apparently got put in the donation pile. I ~really~ miss my electric drill/screwdriver!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:08:47 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links