Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS insurance card  (Read 9689 times)

• Liked: 716
Re: NHS insurance card
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
Some of the "regulars" at a hospital, might have been illegal in the UK for years and before the Immigration Act 2014, found it easy to avoid paying for their treatment.

As UKVI now write to DVLA so that they can revoke the UK driving licence of those that no longer have lawful status in the UK and haven't left, I wonder if this is why they won't use a DL?

They also don’t accept a DL as proof of address when opening or making changes to a bank account. My wife and I have had the same bank account since 1986 and when we returned to England  and went into our local branch to update our address, after we had received our new picture id DL’s the bank said the government rules stated that DL’s were not acceptable. Our challenge was that the rental agent had put all the utilities in my name so we were struggling to prove where she lived. Fortunately we found that the water bill was in both names.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 342
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
They also don’t accept a DL as proof of address when opening or making changes to a bank account. My wife and I have had the same bank account since 1986 and when we returned to England  and went into our local branch to update our address, after we had received our new picture id DL’s the bank said the government rules stated that DL’s were not acceptable. Our challenge was that the rental agent had put all the utilities in my name so we were struggling to prove where she lived. Fortunately we found that the water bill was in both names.

I was just having a read on this and it seems it all came into force under the Immigration Act 2014, so that once a DL has been revoked (as they no longer have lawful status in the UK) a revoked DL cannot then be used as evidence for what they are trying to get. I guess this is why a DL cannot now be used for the NHS, banks and building societies, benefits, housing, etc

They are meant to return their revoked DL, but of course many won't if they have no chance of being allowed to remain in the UK. The government were talking about making it a criminal offence to not return a revoked UK DL, but I don't know if that has come in yet; maybe under the Immigtration Act 2016? Driving with no lawful status in the UK, became a criminal offence under that Act.

I found a factsheet on Driving Licences and The Immigration Act 2016
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/537219/Immigration_Act_-_Part_2_-_Driving_Licences.pdf
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:28:38 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
An update on my AF Ablation. Arrived at 8 and in surgery by 9:30. The surgeon was very appoligetic as the 30 min delay was caused by my records having been sent to wrong department and to be tracked down. “One day maybe we will be able to have the records online. “

Surgery was local only,catheters in through the groin to travel up to the heart. Back in recovery by 11:40. Should be released by 6:30 provided the wound in the groin stops bleeding. Very impressed so far. Also, my heart was in Afib on check in and normal now so that is a very promising sign.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
An update on my AF Ablation. Arrived at 8 and in surgery by 9:30. The surgeon was very appoligetic as the 30 min delay was caused by my records having been sent to wrong department and to be tracked down. “One day maybe we will be able to have the records online. “

Surgery was local only,catheters in through the groin to travel up to the heart. Back in recovery by 11:40. Should be released by 6:30 provided the wound in the groin stops bleeding. Very impressed so far. Also, my heart was in Afib on check in and normal now so that is a very promising sign.

That sounds like it's working already.  Hopefully, the incision/entry point heals quickly and cleanly, and you can get on with things.  Was this on NHS or private?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
NHS. The recovery ward is a private room with en suite. Suitably impressed.

Waiting list from time the doctor started the clock ticking was 10 weeks. But it was hardly an urgent need so no complaints from me.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 04:39:10 PM »
NHS. The recovery ward is a private room with en suite. Suitably impressed.

Waiting list from time the doctor started the clock ticking was 10 weeks. But it was hardly an urgent need so no complaints from me.

Glad it's all going well! Take it easy durhamlad!  :)

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
Glad to hear it all went well.

“One day maybe we will be able to have the records online. “

It's quite amazing that the UK government has only been moving online over the last few years: it's so much easier for sharing.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
Fantastic news Durhamlad!

How was it having it locally?  I see the benefits... but could you feel anything while it was snaking through? 

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Was this on NHS or private?

NHS England. Each country has their own NHS.
e.g.A few years ago heart patents in Wales were moving to England as the waiting list was much shorter than in Wales. NHS Wales are meant to pay another NHS when their residents use another country's NHS, but the Welsh devolved government dedcided they were no longer going to do that for certain things; which is why these people had to move and be residents in England. NHS treatment is known as a postcode lottery, even within each Trust in each NHS.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:40:27 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
NHS England. Each country has their own NHS.
e.g.A few years ago heart patents in Wales were moving to England as the waiting list was much shorter than in Wales. NHS Wales are meant to pay another NHS when their residents use another country's NHS, but the Welsh devolved government dedcided they were no longer going to do that for certain things; which is why these people had to move and be residents in England. NHS treatment is known as a postcode lottery, even within each Trust in each NHS.

Yes, I'm aware each country has their own NHS.  That's why I get free prescriptions since moving from England to Wales.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to educate me, but thank you...?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Yes, I'm aware each country has their own NHS.  That's why I get free prescriptions since moving from England to Wales.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to educate me, but thank you...?

It's OK. It's nothing personal!  :) Sirius educates all of us!  ;D

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
Fantastic news Durhamlad!

How was it having it locally?  I see the benefits... but could you feel anything while it was snaking through?

The catheter was totally unnoticeable, in fact when the surgeon said “One down, 3 to go “, I said “wow, I didn’t even know that you had started threading the catheter”.  At that point not only had they arrived in the heart they had punched through the separating wall between the 2 chambers, inserted a balloon into the first blood vessel, inflated it and put in the freezing liquid. The only uncomfortable part of the procedure was the testing of a nerve that runs alongside the left of the heart and goes down to the diaphragm and stomach. They send pulses down it to ensure they have not damaged it with the freezing process, and that makes the stomach “flip” several times. That pulsing process was repeated after each of the 4 ablations.

Once they made the injection into the vein in the groin it only took 60 minutes or so. The cath lab I was in was incredibly high tech including a gigantic flat screen filled with windows of displays. Unfortunately I could not see the screen or down the table to the surgeon because of 3 X-ray machines positioned over my chest to produce the images that guide the surgeon.

I was well enough to have a sandwich and cup of tea for lunch at 1pm. The only thing that was delaying me going home was the wound which continued to ooze for several hours because of the blood thinners used during the procedure. Still got home same day.

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 02:15:09 PM »
Yes, I'm aware each country has their own NHS.

You asked if it was "on NHS" and as many on here don't realise that each country has their own NHS,  I was poiinting out that what durhamlad got and the speed he got that, might not be the same for those using another country's NHS. It was nothing personal.  I used Wales as an example as there has been so much anger there from heart patients and their families in the past.

That's why I get free prescriptions since moving from England to Wales.

I used to live in Wales and the "free prescriptions for all" that there now is, has just diverted that money away from the core health services, which is why so many are angry about that change. Before that change, free prescriptions were only for those who needed to have prescriptions for free: children, the 60s and over, pregnant women , those with certain conditions, those on certain low income based benefits and even those who needed a lot of prescriptions could pay a low annual charge that then covered all their  prescriptions.

Even the head of a Welsh board who decided on who to spend NHS Wales money on, moved to England when she got breast cancer for the drug she needed. She knew her board had decided not to give that  drug to breast cancer sufferers in Wales, but that NHS England did.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33039327

She said she had "arguments with myself" about the fairness of the Welsh government policy and if having a cancer drug fund takes resources from people with other illnesses.

Mrs Burrows' husband died two years ago of advanced melanoma after he was also unable to get treatment in Wales, she said.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:40:07 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
The catheter was totally unnoticeable, in fact when the surgeon said “One down, 3 to go “, I said “wow, I didn’t even know that you had started threading the catheter”.  At that point not only had they arrived in the heart they had punched through the separating wall between the 2 chambers, inserted a balloon into the first blood vessel, inflated it and put in the freezing liquid. The only uncomfortable part of the procedure was the testing of a nerve that runs alongside the left of the heart and goes down to the diaphragm and stomach. They send pulses down it to ensure they have not damaged it with the freezing process, and that makes the stomach “flip” several times. That pulsing process was repeated after each of the 4 ablations.

Once they made the injection into the vein in the groin it only took 60 minutes or so. The cath lab I was in was incredibly high tech including a gigantic flat screen filled with windows of displays. Unfortunately I could not see the screen or down the table to the surgeon because of 3 X-ray machines positioned over my chest to produce the images that guide the surgeon.

I was well enough to have a sandwich and cup of tea for lunch at 1pm. The only thing that was delaying me going home was the wound which continued to ooze for several hours because of the blood thinners used during the procedure. Still got home same day.

Yikes!  I don't think I could have handled being awake if I'm honest.

My dad watched his knee surgery and one of his colonoscopies.  But he worked in the medical field his whole career and found it all fascinating...  I do not take after him in wanting to watch what's being done!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
I couldn't be awake during procedures like that! Nope, no way.

Glad it went well durhamlad!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab