Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS insurance card  (Read 9730 times)

• Liked: 342
Re: NHS insurance card
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
I was well enough to have a sandwich and cup of tea for lunch at 1pm.

Fascinating. It's great how they can do all these things under a local now, to avoid the risk to the patient.

• Liked: 719
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
Fascinating. It's great how they can do all these things under a local now, to avoid the risk to the patient.
That’s right, no nausea or anything, no need to wait for the stomach to wake up before being able to eat. Only restriction for me is no driving for 48 hours and no heavy lifting for a week.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
Only restriction for me is no driving for 48 hours and no heavy lifting for a week.

That 2 days no drivng seems to be a DVLA rule.

"You need to tell DVLA about some medical conditions as they can affect your driving.

Use the A to Z to check if you need to report your condition and find the relevant form or questionnaire."

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

The surgeon was very appoligetic as the 30 min delay was caused by my records having been sent to wrong department and to be tracked down. “One day maybe we will be able to have the records online. “

I read over the weekend, that many Trusts have been moving to digital over the last 12 months and are now able to reduce their records staff (and wages) from over a hundred, to just a few. I always think of the Yes Minister comedy and their "empty hospial" episode.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:43:17 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »

"You need to tell DVLA about some medical conditions as they can affect your driving.

Use the A to Z to check if you need to report your condition and find the relevant form or questionnaire."

I will NEVER understand how I was allowed to drive myself home after giving birth but my husband wasn't allowed to drive for three days after his vasectomy.... 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Did he have an anaesthetic and you didn't?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 01:46:15 PM »
I will NEVER understand how I was allowed to drive myself home after giving birth but my husband wasn't allowed to drive for three days after his vasectomy....

By "able to" do you mean to say that you actually did, or you just weren't restricted from it?  How many hours post-partum?  You're amazing!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
Did he have an anaesthetic and you didn't?

And were you discharged straight after giving birth?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
I used to work at a company that made heart catheters.  They used to have these dummies where you could learn how the procedures were done and try yourself.  Once, I watched a stenting procedure being done once at a hospital.   I would have watched too.   ;D Glad all went okay durhamlad!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
By "able to" do you mean to say that you actually did, or you just weren't restricted from it?  How many hours post-partum?  You're amazing!

No, I did.  He was supposed to take the bus or taxi to the hospital one day and take my car home but he "forgot".

I gave birth on Thursday and was discharged 48 hours later on Saturday.  But for anyone who has had a baby.... ummm... what was happening to my body was a hell of a lot more than what was happening to his body.  ;D 

Don't get me wrong, I was perfectly safe to drive after birth.  But he was perfectly safe to drive after his snip.  ;D

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
No, I did.  He was supposed to take the bus or taxi to the hospital one day and take my car home but he "forgot".

I gave birth on Thursday and was discharged 48 hours later on Saturday.  But for anyone who has had a baby.... ummm... what was happening to my body was a hell of a lot more than what was happening to his body.  ;D 

Don't get me wrong, I was perfectly safe to drive after birth.  But he was perfectly safe to drive after his snip.  ;D

If you were discharged on a Saturday, why didn't he take the bus or a taxi on the day you were discharged to come collect you and your car?  Was this for the second kid, or both kids?

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »
If you were discharged on a Saturday, why didn't he take the bus or a taxi on the day you were discharged to come collect you and your car?  Was this for the second kid, or both kids?

Second kid.  #becauseman  ;D

I also was being admitted to the hospital and told I wouldn't be leaving until I had the baby.  And he told me to "keep him posted."  His coworkers were like "DUUUUUUUUUUUDE.  LEAVE NOW and you have a chance of saving your marriage."   [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
Second kid.  #becauseman  ;D

I also was being admitted to the hospital and told I wouldn't be leaving until I had the baby.  And he told me to "keep him posted."  His coworkers were like "DUUUUUUUUUUUDE.  LEAVE NOW and you have a chance of saving your marriage."   [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

So, uh... was giving birth a completely solo act for you, then?  (I mean, apart from the 80 medical staff in the room with you!)  Are things done very differently here?

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
So, uh... was giving birth a completely solo act for you, then?  (I mean, apart from the 80 medical staff in the room with you!)  Are things done very differently here?

Yes, things are different here.  Very 1950's with no partners allowed on the ward with you from 9pm to 9am.  So when I called to tell him I was in labor, he wasn't there.  And my labor was an hour and 45 minutes.  He arrived about 20 minutes before I delivered. 

80 medical staff... you mean the midwife, right?!?!?  :P  Though the anaesthetist was in the room but sadly I delivered before he could give me anything.  Poor guy got more than he bargained for! 

• Liked: 719
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »

I read over the weekend, that many Trusts have been moving to digital over the last 12 months and are now able to reduce their records staff (and wages) from over a hundred, to just a few. I always think of the Yes Minister comedy and their "empty hospial" episode.

I love the Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister videos.

Thanks for posting the DVLA link, I hadn’t realized that it would be up to the individual to fill in a form and send it to DVLA. I wonder how often that actually happens. I did find the form, HT1 that is used to report heart issues and Atrial Fibrillation is among the conditions. Even before my treatment I never had any of the symptoms listed that would cause me to not drive, i.e. severe dizziness and/or blackouts.

I am sure the 48 hours not driving after my procedure was more to do with the anesthesia than anything else. I had 3 suspicious moles removed from my back in August and there was a 24 hour ban on driving for that even though it was a pretty trivial day surgery with just a local injection at the site of the moles. However I expect that some folks could have adverse reactions to anesthesia so they are just being super safe.

My mother once went in for a test for a particular cancer where they injected her with a chemical and then drew blood an hour later. They then kept her in bed for an hour or 2. My dad was with her and when they came to leave it was lunchtime so they decided to eat in the hospital canteen. Great decision because after they had collected their food and sat down my mother said, “I feel dizzy”, then collapsed unconscious, no heartbeat. Plenty of doctors eating lunch and they called for a crash cart and restarted her heart with paddles after about 10 to 15 minutes. (The batteries were dead on the first cart so they had to fetch another).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:40:16 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Yes, things are different here.  Very 1950's with no partners allowed on the ward with you from 9pm to 9am.  So when I called to tell him I was in labor, he wasn't there.  And my labor was an hour and 45 minutes.  He arrived about 20 minutes before I delivered. 

80 medical staff... you mean the midwife, right?!?!?  :P  Though the anaesthetist was in the room but sadly I delivered before he could give me anything.  Poor guy got more than he bargained for!

Only the midwife and the aneasthetist?!  Yeah... things are very different here!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab