Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to expect-lady business [emoji51]  (Read 8123 times)

• Liked: 239
What to expect-lady business [emoji51]
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
I have a history of ovarian cysts. They’ve never been large and usually go away with a few extra hormones. While I was in the states late last week I noticed a lump/bulge near my right pelvic area. I’m having some pain but mostly a feeling of fullness up my right side to my ribs. It feels like fluid but it could be nothing.

Since husband and I are trying to get pregnant, I’ve been off birth control. This is when the cysts grew before so I’m wondering if that’s what’s going on. No cycle in almost 3 months since stopping BC.

I’m trying to get in to my GP but haven’t been able to get an appointment since I got back. I don’t consider it an emergency so I just keep trying.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Before I had to have weekly ultrasound scans to monitor until they stopped growing. I know everything is a more hands off approach here but I wasn’t sure about that in this regard.

Any of you girls dealt with this or something similar here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 4985
Re: What to expect-lady business [emoji51]
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
Try to see if you have a local GUM clinic.

They are family planning clinics and will usually be much better than a GP for these services.  But yes, I suspect you'll end up with a more hands off approach overall.  Do you have PCOS?

Good luck on the baby front.  Enjoy the practice if nothing else.   ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:35:00 PM »
I had a referral to an OBGYN for my overly bloody periods, they scheduled a scan quickly after the appointment but the initial referral took a few months. Does your GP have a website where you can send them messages?

Since you have been trying to get pregnant, if you experience pain please be seen urgently. Ectopic pregnancies happen and can become dangerous pretty quickly.

Good luck, I hope you have some success soon!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Try to see if you have a local GUM clinic.

They are family planning clinics and will usually be much better than a GP for these services.  But yes, I suspect you'll end up with a more hands off approach overall.  Do you have PCOS?

Good luck on the baby front.  Enjoy the practice if nothing else.   ;D

Not that I know of. I only have a symptom or two. Never had more than one cyst at a time and always had regular cycles when I was off BC before. I’ll check about the clinic.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »
I had a referral to an OBGYN for my overly bloody periods, they scheduled a scan quickly after the appointment but the initial referral took a few months. Does your GP have a website where you can send them messages?

Since you have been trying to get pregnant, if you experience pain please be seen urgently. Ectopic pregnancies happen and can become dangerous pretty quickly.

Good luck, I hope you have some success soon!

Ectopic was a thought but there’s been zero evidence I’ve ovulated yet. The pain is dull and achy never sharp or stabbing. i should be able to get an appointment tomorrow hopefully.

They do have a website but our village is very small and the staff actually split between two different locations.

Only bad part about living so far away from a larger city.

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 170
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Ectopic was a thought but there’s been zero evidence I’ve ovulated yet. The pain is dull and achy never sharp or stabbing. i should be able to get an appointment tomorrow hopefully.

They do have a website but our village is very small and the staff actually split between two different locations.

Only bad part about living so far away from a larger city.

Could it be ovulation pain?? I'd get some ovulation tests and see if you get the corresponding lutenising hormone surge (which is detected by the test). How big do your cysts get? It seems a bit curious that your cysts are so cyclical...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
Could it be ovulation pain?? I'd get some ovulation tests and see if you get the corresponding lutenising hormone surge (which is detected by the test). How big do your cysts get? It seems a bit curious that your cysts are so cyclical...

I took an ovulation test and pregnancy test today just to make sure. Both negative. The pain doesn’t worry be as much as the bulge. It’s very noticeable to my husband and my mom too. Biggest one I had was 3 cm. Never had them while I was on birth control that I’m aware of.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
I took an ovulation test and pregnancy test today just to make sure. Both negative. The pain doesn’t worry be as much as the bulge. It’s very noticeable to my husband and my mom too. Biggest one I had was 3 cm. Never had them while I was on birth control that I’m aware of.
Definitely get it checked, it could be a hernia or GI issue as well. Hopefully it's something easy to treat!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
Well after an eternity I got an appointment with my GP’s office. Saw the nurse practitioner (I had seen her before about no period/not getting pregnant issue before). She did a quick exam and ohhh my god. I didn’t realize how tender I was on that side until blammo! She pressed around on my pelvis and oh the pain. Quickly said I needed a scan and bloodwork. Already have the appointment for the blood work on the 12th but she told me the hospital would call me about the scan.

How long does it take for them to contact me about having the scan?

She said “call” but from what I’ve read it looks like I have to wait for a referral letter?

Not the worst pain ever but I’ve had constant pain since the appointment (yesterday). Barely slept last night. I don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing but paracetamol isn’t helping.  I think I need to call them back and ask for a speedier turnaround.

Throw some opinions at me girls!

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
I was recently referred for a scan for lady issues.  Was done by a mobile unit and was done less than a week after my appointment with the GP!  I bet they will have you in within 2 weeks max.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »
Well after an eternity I got an appointment with my GP’s office. Saw the nurse practitioner (I had seen her before about no period/not getting pregnant issue before). She did a quick exam and ohhh my god. I didn’t realize how tender I was on that side until blammo! She pressed around on my pelvis and oh the pain. Quickly said I needed a scan and bloodwork. Already have the appointment for the blood work on the 12th but she told me the hospital would call me about the scan.

How long does it take for them to contact me about having the scan?

She said “call” but from what I’ve read it looks like I have to wait for a referral letter?

Not the worst pain ever but I’ve had constant pain since the appointment (yesterday). Barely slept last night. I don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing but paracetamol isn’t helping.  I think I need to call them back and ask for a speedier turnaround.

Throw some opinions at me girls!

Naproxen is very good for that kind of pain. You can get it from the pharmacist, it is given here otc only for period pain.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I was recently referred for a scan for lady issues.  Was done by a mobile unit and was done less than a week after my appointment with the GP!  I bet they will have you in within 2 weeks max.

I hope it’s that quick. She did tell me it would be in Peterhead (small community hospital is there) as that’s the closest to me.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Naproxen is very good for that kind of pain. You can get it from the pharmacist, it is given here otc only for period pain.

I’ve taken naproxen before for pain from torn rotator cuffs and it worked ok. Tears my stomach up sometimes so I have to be careful with it. I may try to get hubby to take me back down there and pick some up.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
Was there any concern about appendicitis? I'd be a bit worried if you're still in an 8-9 pain level and give 111 a call for advice.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
Was there any concern about appendicitis? I'd be a bit worried if you're still in an 8-9 pain level and give 111 a call for advice.

She didn’t seem concerned with that. She did ask as soon as I reacted if I was pregnant (worried about ectopic) but all tests were negative. Pain at it’s worst is 5-6 depending on how I’m laying. I did get some ibuprofen and it’s eased some. If it worsens at all, we’ll be going to A&E. No fever or nausea.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:40:57 PM by KristieP2018 »

FLR(M) Standard

Sponsored Links