Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Contract work for US Company  (Read 2647 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Contract work for US Company
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »

Hi @ms1967 ! I am still awaiting my visa approval, but in the meantime my company has looked further into it and consulted with their employment attorney (US attorney, granted). It sounds like I’ll be able to stay on as a part-time employee still paid through the US payroll, so US taxes will be deducted. I know I’ll still need to file a UK tax return and things may get a little sticky. But, I’m taking this as a temporary solution to wrap up a particular client project for 3 months, and will look for full-time UK work in the meantime. Even if it’s legal from my US conpany’s perspective, I don’t want to do anything illegal by UK standards, and I’m still unclear on that.

I’m sorry my answer probably does not help your situation! From what I understand, setting up as a limited company is a little cumbersome in the UK (but I could be wrong).

Let me know what you find out and end up deciding!

Make sure they get a certificate from the IRS showing you owe the US tax authority for Social Security payments. It will cost you a fair amount to file your UK self assessment so factor that in too, you'll definitely need UK tax advice from someone familiar with the US tax treaties.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 26
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »

Make sure they get a certificate from the IRS showing you owe the US tax authority for Social Security payments. It will cost you a fair amount to file your UK self assessment so factor that in too, you'll definitely need UK tax advice from someone familiar with the US tax treaties.

Hi @margo sounds like you may have done this before, or are at least more familiar than I am! What other considerations should I be thinking of before taking this leap? When are U.K. Tax assessments due each year? I'll definitely want to find a tax advisor familiar with the US tax treaty. Thanks!
Applied from: Florida, US
Priority: Yes
Online application submitted: Jan 25 2019
Biometrics & docs mailed: Jan 29 2019
Documents received in NY: Jan 30, 2019
Documents received by Sheffield on: Mar 4, 2019
Case Escalated: Mar 20, 2019
Case Escalated again: Mar 27, 2019
Decision Made Email: Apr 3, 2019
Received Passport: Apr 4, 2019
YES!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Hi @margo sounds like you may have done this before, or are at least more familiar than I am! What other considerations should I be thinking of before taking this leap? When are U.K. Tax assessments due each year? I'll definitely want to find a tax advisor familiar with the US tax treaty. Thanks!

Deadlines. https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
I did things wrong. Don't be like me! Get the tax advisor familiar with the UK and US tax treaties first.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 02:50:24 PM »
I did things wrong. Don't be like me! Get the tax advisor familiar with the UK and US tax treaties first.

Good advice.
+1 from someone else with experience

Sponsored Links