Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Edinburgh Zoo  (Read 615 times)

• Liked: 674
Edinburgh Zoo
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
Took a day trip to the Edinburgh Zoo yesterday on the bus. Nice ride over, and the zoo is lovely. Not a huge one, but much larger than it looks from the outside. If the wind had not been blowing the temperature would have been great. It was a bit blustery, so a lot of the animals from warmer climates were in their houses, but we could still see most of them. Nice little collection - and a really good penguin section.  It had some seriously challenging hills in the zoo, though - it's built up the side of a hill. Made it to the top and the view was lovely. (My knees are paying for it today, though!) The animals looked very well cared for and the grounds were spotless. A nice touch - when we were entering they asked if we had any mobility needs. They have a buggy to take you around, if so.

Lunch was a cup of mushroom soup (very good) and the Daughter had the "kiddie" half-pizza and salad. Came with a huge salad. Cost us less than 10 pounds for lunch. The gift shop was surprisingly inexpensive. Having gone to the San Diego Zoo many times where the merch is just painfully expensive, it was a nice surprise. Assumed we'd be going back, so I didn't buy anything, although there was a cute little tea mug with penguins on it for 5 pounds that I liked.

All-in-all a nice day, although a slight glitch on the bus home. The Citilink 900 was due at 16:08 and we had reservations on it. We were at the stop at 15:45, and at about 5 til the hour a 900 came by, and ignored our flagdown. Ok, we thought it might have been an earlier on that was just running late. One came by at about 16:15 and ignored our flagdown. It was getting pretty chilly out and threatening rain, so I was starting to get a little panicky. Another one came by shortly thereafter and did not stop, but motioned to us to stop the next bus. Which came about 5 minutes later and did stop.  I was starting to wonder what we were going to do, stuck on foot in another city if we could not get a bus to stop.  But thankfully it did - a half-hour late. And we made it to Glasgow Buchannan Station and made our connection onward with 10 minutes to spare.

Looking forward to going back again. And will be sure to take the phone number for the bus line with me then!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:02:55 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
Re: Edinburgh Zoo
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
Sounds like a nice day out Nan. I've not been yet but I want to go to the lantern festival at the zoo. I didn't make it last year because I was too poorly with my anaemia and I couldn't tolerate the cold weather.

This year though is another story.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
Yes, I think we're going to try to get back to the lantern festival later on. Assuming there's a day when it's not arctic. If you buy your tickets online 3 days in advance you get a discount, by the way.  That hillside definitely kicked my backside, though. I'm glad I allocated 4 hours to wander in there. Could have made it 5, as we didn't see everything.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »
Did you see the pandas?  Was it a good display?  We are taking our panda obsessed girl to Madrid in December to see the pandas (as doing that is cheaper than going to Edinburgh, believe it or not).  But like that we had Edinburgh in our back pocket.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
I went years ago and saw the pandas. It was lovely because they often hide. 
I have only been to the Edinburgh Zoo once, but I am a member of the Highland Wildlife Park and they're affiliated with each other.  The Highland Wildlife Park is always a great day out. 

We want to get down to Edinburgh soon- really to get one of my trombones into the brass repair guy there, who is the best in Scotland, but to also visit the homebrew store and to go to the Zoo. Maybe during the Lantern Festival.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
We did not go see the pandas, but we've seen plenty of pandas so they were not on our "must see" list. We did spend quite some time with the penguins, tho! 

• Liked: 113
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 04:00:25 PM »
Been in Edinburgh 5 months now but we haven't made it to the zoo! That Lantern Festival sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestion!
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 216
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:07:27 PM »
My stepdaughter has been a few times. She loves koalas and they have some kind of koala adoption program there. So she's just in heaven when she goes. She had the opportunity to get up close and personal with them too. I'm looking forward to visiting the Edinburgh Zoo with her once I'm moved over.  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 239
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
Been in Edinburgh 5 months now but we haven't made it to the zoo! That Lantern Festival sounds fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

My first ever trip over here we went to the zoo. I really liked it. Need to do the lantern festival.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab