Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Meeting Wednesday!  (Read 857 times)

• Liked: 250
Meeting Wednesday!
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
Happy to say that I have a meeting Wednesday with the Local Historical Studies Department in our library about possible work experience/volunteer work!! It isn't a career job yet, but even if I land some volunteer work in my field it'll look good on my CV! And, it could possibly get me started on building a network here. The man I am meeting with has connections with loads of historical establishments like The National Trust, English Heritage, and lots of museums in the surrounding areas.

I don't know if I am happy prematurely, but I'm happy nonetheless.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Meeting Wednesday!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
Happy to say that I have a meeting Wednesday with the Local Historical Studies Department in our library about possible work experience/volunteer work!! It isn't a career job yet, but even if I land some volunteer work in my field it'll look good on my CV! And, it could possibly get me started on building a network here. The man I am meeting with has connections with loads of historical establishments like The National Trust, English Heritage, and lots of museums in the surrounding areas.

I don't know if I am happy prematurely, but I'm happy nonetheless.

That's fantastic Tollie! Good for you!  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
Good luck!! Connections are everything :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
Well done, TT!  You've really hit the ground running since you got here!  And you're still putting your wedding together at the same time (11 days!).  Really great progress in such a short time!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »
Well done, TT!  You've really hit the ground running since you got here!  And you're still putting your wedding together at the same time (11 days!).  Really great progress in such a short time!

Thanks jfkim! I just wanted to get as much sorted quickly so I've not got tons of things hovering over my head!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
Thanks jfkim! I just wanted to get as much sorted quickly so I've not got tons of things hovering over my head!

Making this contact with someone who has so many relevant network contacts is amazing.  I'm really pleased for you.  Even if it's volunteer for now, you will find out which paid opportunities exist, and people will get to know you.... it's brilliant!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Making this contact with someone who has so many relevant network contacts is amazing.  I'm really pleased for you.  Even if it's volunteer for now, you will find out which paid opportunities exist, and people will get to know you.... it's brilliant!

It's serious enough that he suggested I bring my CV to see what experience I have, and what I am passionate about!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »
And in the very worst case scenario, getting out of the house and keeping busy is good for you!

Good luck with it!

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
And in the very worst case scenario, getting out of the house and keeping busy is good for you!

Good luck with it!

I've been here at month on the 4th, and I've had 2 bad days in which I stayed in. I have gone out, mostly alone (while Tom works) just to get out there and move/meet people. Sometimes the best, most unexpected acquaintances come from random coffee shop visits!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
Meeting went very well!

He has a connection with the curator at the local  museum and art gallery. He said I'll likely be considered  for volunteer work before hire but that's fine I think I need to get used to working in the UK  as a volunteer before hopping into employment. Obv not forever but maybe a month or so to get a feel of it.

The most suitable place for me according to what we discussed is in Chippenham but that's a problem because it's £10 return ticket and without employment/income it'll drain my money quick. So I'll likely volunteer more locally and then focus on employment elsewhere. It was EXACTLY  what I wanna do so it's an option in the future...

I don't wanna volunteer forever but I do have some connections now.

He said he has a very good first impression of me but wants me to try one of the museums because he thinks  I'm qualified for them and that I wouls get more out of them.  But he said he could try and get a project in Local Studies if the other places don't have opportunities. 

Success!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
Meeting went very well!

He has a connection with the curator at the local  museum and art gallery. He said I'll likely be considered  for volunteer work before hire but that's fine I think I need to get used to working in the UK  as a volunteer before hopping into employment. Obv not forever but maybe a month or so to get a feel of it.

The most suitable place for me according to what we discussed is in Chippenham but that's a problem because it's £10 return ticket and without employment/income it'll drain my money quick. So I'll likely volunteer more locally and then focus on employment elsewhere. It was EXACTLY  what I wanna do so it's an option in the future...

He said he has a very good first impression of me but wants me to try one of the museums because he thinks  I'm qualified for them and that I wouls get more out of them.  But he said he could try and get a project in Local Studies if the other places don't have opportunities. 

Success!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Excellent news.  You will NOT regret volunteering.  That's all you'll need on your CV to get great interviews for paying jobs. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
Meeting went very well!

Success!!!

Yay!  :D.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »
That's great!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab