Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Colorado to rainy northwest  (Read 1068 times)

• Liked: 11
Colorado to rainy northwest
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Hello all,
I've been following this forum for awhile and have found it invaluable on getting me here in England.
Finally getting on to introduce myself.
I'm a labor and delivery nurse and mom of 2 boys.
Married to a Brit for 15 years.
Lived in Manchester for 2 years just after we were married.
Moved to hubbys hometown 3 months ago.
Brought our 90 lb Newfoundland dog here and she died 10 days after us arriving in the UK.
Took us 2 months to get a place of our own thanks to proof of uk address regulation to rent
My youngest was in the hospital for 3 days his second week of school
I'm having a hard time processing all the changes.
Kids are now in school and settling in ok.
Husband and I are feeling like we've made a huge mistake.
Anyway, any words of wisdom or just support would be great. Please no haters I know we chose to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
Re: Colorado to rainy northwest
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Hi... I'm sorry you all have had such a rough go. Moving to a new place is already hard enough... Losing a beloved pet is so heart-wrenching. And seeing your child fall ill is probably one of the most stressful things of all. As hard as it may be, you have to remember that things do get better with time. Time seems to fix everything. But in the meantime, try to do things that make you happy. Do you all like the outdoors? Autumn is such a nice time for family walks or bike rides. Or even just take a nice ride to somewhere you've never been. So many little hidden gems in the UK that are not too far away. Try to find things to laugh about daily. I also believe in practicing gratitude. Yes, even when life is $hit. Because there is ALWAYS something to be very thankful for.

Anyway, you're in the right place. It's good to share what you're going through. We are all here to support each other. You're not alone! I truly hope you'll feel better soon.  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
Please no haters I know we chose to do this.

I think all of us here have been through the grinder....

Welcome!

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
Hi... I'm sorry you all have had such a rough go. Moving to a new place is already hard enough... Losing a beloved pet is so heart-wrenching. And seeing your child fall ill is probably one of the most stressful things of all. As hard as it may be, you have to remember that things do get better with time. Time seems to fix everything. But in the meantime, try to do things that make you happy. Do you all like the outdoors? Autumn is such a nice time for family walks or bike rides. Or even just take a nice ride to somewhere you've never been. So many little hidden gems in the UK that are not too far away. Try to find things to laugh about daily. I also believe in practicing gratitude. Yes, even when life is $hit. Because there is ALWAYS something to be very thankful for.

Anyway, you're in the right place. It's good to share what you're going through. We are all here to support each other. You're not alone! I truly hope you'll feel better soon.  :)
I agree with  MrsMagpie , this is a wonderful site and you are in the right place. We all need words of encouragement some days and this is the best spot for it   :)
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
Hello all,
I've been following this forum for awhile and have found it invaluable on getting me here in England.
Brought our 90 lb Newfoundland dog here and she died 10 days after us arriving in the UK.
Took us 2 months to get a place of our own thanks to proof of uk address regulation to rent
Anyway, any words of wisdom or just support would be great. Please no haters I know we chose to do this.

Hi Meghan, welcome.
I am so sorry about your dog. Nothing is going to feel right because of that.
It takes some people, even without such a terrible start, a long time to adjust to the move. So try just to take it as it comes right now and it will hopefully become easier with time.
Maybe give yourselves a date sometime  in the future, and if you are still not happy, then talk about making the move back and see how that feels to you at that time?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »
Hello all,

First and foremost - huge hugs.  You've been dealt a tough tough hand.  I am so sorry about your dog.  And I cannot imagine how scary that was to have your child in the hospital - not to mention in an unfamiliar system and country.

Taking all of that out of the picture, it is PERFECTLY normal to wonder what in the world you've done with ANY major life change:  new job, having a baby, moving in with someone, and of course - moving. 

The UK is a unique animal and it's not often that someone slots in perfectly right from the start.  It definitely takes time.  Honestly I think it was a solid five years before I was like, "okay, this is where I should be."  lol!

• Liked: 248
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
Hello Meghan,

What a hard time you have had!  You must only now be catching your breath.

Stress can be cumulative and is never to be underestimated.

Please give yourself some time and be kind to yourself.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
Sending you lots of support!

People don't realise how difficult the UK policies are on new immigrants, even with the right to be here.

I'm still in the thick of it after joining a spouse last year (almost a year in and nothing is "easy" yet) but I am adapting. I've also gotten signed up with mental health services through the NHS because it's really taken a toll. Finding a new normal and the things that make me happy here has taken time.

I hope things start turning around for you soon!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
A transatlantic move isnt an easy one and with everything happening in your life, you deserve a breather.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my 14 year old corgi this year, so I can understand. It takes time but it's hard.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »
Thanks for listening everyone. Feeling a little better today. Really grateful for all the support on here.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab