Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa/citizenship  (Read 1864 times)

• Liked: 29
Visa/citizenship
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
Hi everyone, my father in-law who is a ukc born and raised is married to my MIL since 1982...they lived in England for about 8 or 9 years when they were first married and have since lived in various other countries but have been employed through a US company. My MIL did not get citizenship back in the 80’s when they lived in the UK.

All this to say, my FIL is in declining health and we think there is going to be Alzheimer diagnosis. My husband and I know that financially and medically it’s wiser for them to be in the UK it would just take convincing the MIL to agree. Are there any “grandfathered” type rules for ppl who have been married so long to be able to move back or will they have to go through the traditional routes of securing spousal visa for my MIL etc?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 170
Re: Visa/citizenship
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:08 PM »
Hi everyone, my father in-law who is a ukc born and raised is married to my MIL since 1982...they lived in England for about 8 or 9 years when they were first married and have since lived in various other countries but have been employed through a US company. My MIL did not get citizenship back in the 80’s when they lived in the UK.

All this to say, my FIL is in declining health and we think there is going to be Alzheimer diagnosis. My husband and I know that financially and medically it’s wiser for them to be in the UK it would just take convincing the MIL to agree. Are there any “grandfathered” type rules for ppl who have been married so long to be able to move back or will they have to go through the traditional routes of securing spousal visa for my MIL etc?

Thanks so much!

Really, there is only the 'traditional' route. Do they have savings or 401K worth more than £62,500? Or a house they could sell? This is probably the most straightforward way for them to meet the requirements to return...

If they went and tried to get permission 'outside the rules' they would face a long and difficult battle, including a 10 year route to permanent residency, and probably at least a year of appeals... These are almost never approved on first application, especially as they don't have established ties to the UK (underage children).

I would not advise a returning residence visa, as these are almost never granted.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »
What country do they currently live in?  My parents are in the USA and my dad has been able to get Medicaid for a few years and cannot believe how much he loves it.  In my opinion, and this is just my experience, elderly are treated much better in the USA.  All a moot point if not there though.   :-\\\\  The UK is improving their care for the elderly.  But still has a long way to go.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »
What country do they currently live in?  My parents are in the USA and my dad has been able to get Medicaid for a few years and cannot believe how much he loves it.  In my opinion, and this is just my experience, elderly are treated much better in the USA.  All a moot point if not there though.   :-\\\\  The UK is improving their care for the elderly.  But still has a long way to go.

They are currently in Tunisia in North Africa...he’s not a US citizen (she is US citizen), but has a green card. My concern is they don’t have the cash for deductibles etc needed for coverage and copays, especially if he’s at some point going to need 24 hour care....

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
My concern is they don’t have the cash for deductibles etc needed for coverage and copays, especially if he’s at some point going to need 24 hour care....

My neighbour's father has Alzheimers but I don't think he is given 24 hours care. His wife is his main carer and she gets offered some help during the day and a chance for respite, which her husband won't let her take. My neighbour, his brother (and their partners) spend a lot of time helping their mother, so that she gets a break from the stress of it all and some normal company.

You might want to look into what free help they might get.
https://alz.org/help-support/caregiving/stages-behaviors

Some care help can be income based, so you would need to contact the local council to see what care and how many hours they might they provide for free and what the cost of care help will be if they have to pay.

Even at the end, care homes are not free unless they have no money at all. The private care homes are much better than the state ones but even then, your MIL will need your help to look around and find a good one. A good private Nursing home will cost about £1,500 - 2k a week.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:56:25 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
They are currently in Tunisia in North Africa...he’s not a US citizen (she is US citizen), but has a green card. My concern is they don’t have the cash for deductibles etc needed for coverage and copays, especially if he’s at some point going to need 24 hour care....

Big hugs.  I’d look at them moving to the USA.  If 65, they’ll get Medicare.  And there are some fantastic homes that are very affordable.

• Liked: 10
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 09:07:23 PM »
This might be a long shot, but is your mother-in-law by chance a Commonwealth citizen? Commonwealth wives of UK citizens who were married on or before 31 December 1982 to their British husbands are entitled to right of abode, even now. It's not citizenship, but it would grant your MIL unrestricted access to live in the UK at any point before or after your FIL's death.

More info here, although I grant it might not be useful in your situation.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/commonwealth-citizens

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Perhaps phone around and check which country will be better for your in-laws? But don't underestimate the family support your MIL will need as she watches her husband go through this.   

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
This might be a long shot, but is your mother-in-law by chance a Commonwealth citizen? Commonwealth wives of UK citizens who were married on or before 31 December 1982 to their British husbands are entitled to right of abode, even now. It's not citizenship, but it would grant your MIL unrestricted access to live in the UK at any point before or after your FIL's death.

Omg yes!!!! They married in July of 1982! Eeeek this could be a game changer for them!

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »

Hmmmm but in looking at this does this mean because they have lived in other countries since about 1990 that she isn’t eligible??

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »

Hmmmm but in looking at this does this mean because they have lived in other countries since about 1990 that she isn’t eligible??

What commonwealth country is she a citizen of?  Has she renounced that citizenship or does she still hold it?

• Liked: 10
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »
To reiterate KFDancer's question, can you share with us which Commonwealth country she is a citizen of? Remember, the US hasn't been a Commonwealth country since 1776.    ;-)

Just to give you some practical information on this option, I can describe how I got my own mother Right of Abode as a Commonwealth wife as a UK citizen.

Mother : Born in Canada (1939) to a US citizen mother --> So both US and Canadian citizen for her whole life

Mother (Canada/US citizen) marries UK citizen father in 1970.

Mother moves from Canada to US in 1981 where she then lives for the rest of her life.

Because my mom was a (1) Commonwealth citizen when she married, (2) remained such from then until her death and (3) was married to a UK citizen on or before 31 December 1982, she was eligible for Right of Abode in the UK. Didn't matter that she was also a US citizen. Didn't matter that she lived in the US. She qualified for the reasons given and then got the appropriate vignette in her US passport within a month.

I hope this helps you if, in fact, your mom is a Commonwealth citizen.

List of Commonwealth countries :

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/electoral_commission_pdf_file/0009/79515/List-of-eligible-countries.pdf

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
To reiterate KFDancer's question, can you share with us which Commonwealth country she is a citizen of? Remember, the US hasn't been a Commonwealth country since 1776.    ;-)

Just to give you some practical information on this option, I can describe how I got my own mother Right of Abode as a Commonwealth wife as a UK citizen.

Mother : Born in Canada (1939) to a US citizen mother --> So both US and Canadian citizen for her whole life

Mother (Canada/US citizen) marries UK citizen father in 1970.

Mother moves from Canada to US in 1981 where she then lives for the rest of her life.

Because my mom was a (1) Commonwealth citizen when she married, (2) remained such from then until her death and (3) was married to a UK citizen on or before 31 December 1982, she was eligible for Right of Abode in the UK. Didn't matter that she was also a US citizen. Didn't matter that she lived in the US. She qualified for the reasons given and then got the appropriate vignette in her US passport within a month.

I hope this helps you if, in fact, your mom is a Commonwealth citizen.

List of Commonwealth countries :

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/electoral_commission_pdf_file/0009/79515/List-of-eligible-countries.pdf

Oh! I totally misread that. Boo. She’s not from a commonwealth country :/ so spousal visa it is.

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »

Thanks so much!

well, for a spouse visa only traditional route.
however.

1) if she had ILR in the past, as I bet she had,  she may   qualify for returning resident visa,  based on what other connection with the UK exists  in terms of other family etc and how often she visits it etc etc. Returning resident visa is tricky but also vague enough that in many various situations may be worth a try. That would if sucessfull restore her ILR.

2) If somehow she lived there for TEN years not 9, and some evidence of her absences during that period exists, she may try to apply for SET LR on the basis of 10 years on arrival. There is no time limit and application can be based on past period of long residence,

********Disclaimer: I am a Level 3 OISC advisor and so my opinions are informed by knowledge of the law and years of practice. Yet, no opinion given without detailed review of an individual case should be taken or treated as competent legal advice.

Visa/citizenship
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 01:52:48 AM »

well, for a spouse visa only traditional route.
however.

1) if she had ILR in the past, as I bet she had,  she may   qualify for returning resident visa,  based on what other connection with the UK exists  in terms of other family etc and how often she visits it etc etc. Returning resident visa is tricky but also vague enough that in many various situations may be worth a try. That would if sucessfull restore her ILR.

2) If somehow she lived there for TEN years not 9, and some evidence of her absences during that period exists, she may try to apply for SET LR on the basis of 10 years on arrival. There is no time limit and application can be based on past period of long residence,

********Disclaimer: I am a Level 3 OISC advisor and so my opinions are informed by knowledge of the law and years of practice. Yet, no opinion given without detailed review of an individual case should be taken or treated as competent legal advice.

Thank you so much for this reply. I’m going to do some exploring and see if she fits into either of these categories. We have lots of family there. My father in laws entire family (his parents are still alive, his sisters, nieces and nephews, great Nieces and nephews) are there. The more I’m talking with my FIL’s sisters the more I’m realizing he wants to be back in the ....it’s what’s most familiar to him and his family wants to be able to spend time with him as his health diminishes. Thank you again for your time, I really appreciate it!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:56:47 AM by Amber07 »

Sponsored Links