Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Have you bought your last car?  (Read 3979 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Have you bought your last car?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »
Hah. Really. Gotta watch them nuns, though. They might be carrying chains or knuckledusters. And "Someone" is always watching over them!

Parking on the sidewalks. Oy. That should be illegal.

I was so flustered by the end of my driving lesson last week that I missed my turn to my own house. So I had to go up and go around the block. Which took me down a very narrow street that had cars parked on both sides. Some on the sidewalks.  But the remaining road was just barely wide enough for one car (me) to get through. I was sweating blood by the end of that block, worrying that someone was going to want to be coming down the other direction.

That is so insane!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:55:44 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
I carry stickers that say PARKED LIKE AN IDIOT (boy them on Amazon ) and use them when necessary.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
I carry stickers that say PARKED LIKE AN IDIOT (boy them on Amazon ) and use them when necessary.

You are my hero!

Have you watched Killing Eve while you've been home?  If not, do it!!!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »

Parking on the sidewalks. Oy. That should be illegal.

I don't understand why it isn't.  :(

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
It technically is but seems to never be enforced :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
There are some places where the lines are drawn halfway on the sidewalk and it is legal and expected to park like that.  I'd guess that all those places are also wide enough to allow people to wheel by.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 05:55:55 PM »
Do I even discuss my fantasy life?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
That’s one of the things that’s always confused me about the UK. Absolutely nothing is handicap accessible. Even when they say there’s a lift in a tube station, it’s a freakin mile hike to get to it. A lot of sidewalks are a foot wide &/or full of obstructions. I get you can’t level centuries old stuff to build something that looks like ADA compliant, but they build new that way as well. Has always shocked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
Better than in Ireland!  Went to the National Museum there in Dublin. You can't get to the second floor and all of the exhibits there if you can't climb the stairs. We asked where the lift was and they said "this is a listed building, we can't put a lift in"... riiiight. (This was a few years ago, hopefully they have installed one since then.)

Otherwise, on the days when my back and legs are kicking up, I can't take the subway here in Glasgow. There are lifts at St. Enoch stop, in City Center, but none at the two stops within a mile of my home. Kind of a bummer, there. Of course, the train stations in rural areas have you climbing steps to a bridge that goes over the traintracks to another set of stairs down. So unless you only want to travel in one direction, there's a bit of a disconnect there.

On the good side, I can phone and have a bus come pick me up at my home and take me to the front door of the shopping center, if I need it. But it has to be booked.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »

I asked Tommy Automatic at my driving lesson today about all the cars parked on the sidewalks. He said it's not legal. But they usually don't do anything unless it's completely obstructing the footpath (prams or wheelchairs can't get through) and someone calls in a complaint.

Huh. 8)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
You are my hero!

Have you watched Killing Eve while you've been home?  If not, do it!!!!
Yep - finished it yesterday...brilliant!!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
Yep - finished it yesterday...brilliant!!

Take me to the hole!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
Call me a pessimist but I just don't see this being embraced.  Maybe someday... but not in 20 years. 

Cars are not JUST a mode of transportation for many.  They are also a passion and to some, a status symbol.  People LOVE having their own car.  A place for their sunglasses and other things that "live" in the car.  No germs.  You have control over your destiny - literally.  I just don't see cars leaving our garages and driveways. 

I certainly think the technology of cars is changing (more so here than the USA), but I still think personal car ownership isn't going away.  100 years ago, people replaced owning a horse with owning a car.  But they still owned something.

THIS! I don’t have a nice car by any means, but it’s when I got my car here that I started finding myself again.  It’s a form of independence, a place of your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »
we have a local parking like a twat FB page and I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Do I even discuss my fantasy life?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes please! 
But I'm not sure it has anything to do with this topic....,

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab