Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yea, another interview!  (Read 811 times)

• Liked: 674
Yea, another interview!
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
So I have a job interview on Halloween. (Is that like an omen, or what?  ;)   )

I am  worried about the required security clearance, though. The language says that they "like" to see in-country histories of 3 to 10 years. So I'm at a year-and-a-half. To save the effort and misery, I wrote to them asking if "like" means that they will not make an offer to anyone with less. I was very upfront with when I arrived in my cover letter, so they have to know that much. Trotted out the story of having been offered a job by the Home Office and having it pulled back after it finally clicked with them that I hadn't been here three years, last summer.  Told them I'd love to come discuss the job with them, but if they couldn't actually offer it, I didn't want to waste their time.  Hoping they answer before then. At least they are not the Home Office.

Doesn't pay well at all, but it's a job with a 2 year contract. Which is what I need.

• Liked: 957
Re: Yea, another interview!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »

So I have a job interview on Halloween. (Is that like an omen, or what?  ;)   )

Doesn't pay well at all, but it's a job with a 2 year contract. Which is what I need.

Good luck!! Pay is kinda crap in general here, but a 2 year contract would be great! I have my fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
Good luck Nan.  :)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »
Thanks. The response I got back re the clearance is that they've never been asked that question before so they are checking. And have no idea how long it will take to find out, so I should plan to attend the interview if I haven't heard yet anyway.

It's in city center, and not terribly inconvenient, so I guess I will do so.Oddly they want me to bring not only my original educational credentials but a copy of my birth certificiate. Fortunately, I ordered one a month or two ago to have on file. I wonder how they'll deal with it being four different names ago!

• Liked: 46
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »
Good luck! Hopefully it all works out for you with all the hoops you have to jump through!
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
So, no, although nothing says it anywhere, the fact that I have not been here five years would mean I cannot pass the security clearance. (God forbid they check with the FBI or anything....)  So I have had to withdraw from the job. Darn it.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
So, no, although nothing says it anywhere, the fact that I have not been here five years would mean I cannot pass the security clearance. (God forbid they check with the FBI or anything....)  So I have had to withdraw from the job. Darn it.
As I've been searching there's been SO MANY that require you to either be a UK or EEA citizen and resident for the past 5 years. Its hard not to feel like everything is stacked against you.

Sorry it fell through :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »
Yeah, well, I'm EU, but don't have the five years. I'm just happy the hiring person checked for me to let me know there was no reason to bother continuing on, unlike when I applied at the passport office for a part-time job.... Best to know up front and just drop it.  I still don't get why they can't request a FBI check. (I actually did have a US security vetting at one point, years ago, due to a family member's job in the armed forces.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:52:32 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab