Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: question about financial documentation for settlement visa  (Read 887 times)

• Liked: 76
question about financial documentation for settlement visa
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
Hi, all. I have a question about the financial documents required for our spousal visa application. I have been reading on the forums that the most recent paycheck stub can be no more than 28 days old. Is that 28 days prior to the date the application is submitted, 28 days prior to the Biometrics appointment, or 28 days prior to the day the application and supporting docs are mailed off to New York?

Here is our dilemma…My fiancé (soon to be spouse) gets paid on the 25th of the month. He is flying to the USA on November 17th and we are getting married on the 19th. Our plan is to apply for the application while he is here and send it off, however, I am afraid that by the time we mail the application his most recent stub will be more than 28 days old and he has no way of getting his hands on a certified copy of his 11/25 paycheck stub until he gets back to the UK. This could throw off our entire timeline if the application has to be mailed within 5 days of my biometrics appointment. However, if the 28 days prior rule applies to the date the application is submitted, we should still fall within that time frame. I have a timeline below of our plans for the application process. Any guidance would be helpful!

Nov 17: fiance arrives in the US
Nov 19: marriage (legal) at the courthouse {small celebration for my family who can't make our big (symbolic) wedding in Scotland next March}
Nov 19-20: submit visa application online
Nov 20-23: Biometrics appointment (I hope Thanksgiving doesn't inhibit us from getting an appointment during this week)
Nov 26: Chicago VFS Center Application and Document Checks appointment (hopefully, unless it's not recommended)
Nov 26-27: Mail off application and supporting docs provided they passed the VFS check
Nov 27: husband returns to the UK

Also, is NYC where all settlement docs are being mailed now, I heard from an Immigration lawyer that settlement docs were still being sent to Sheffield and all other visa docs to NYC...

Met the love of my life: October 1, 2017
Engaged to be married: April 8, 2018
USA wedding: November 19, 2018
Application type: Priority
Online application submitted: November 19, 2018
Biometrics taken & docs sent: November 23, 2018
Documents delivered to NYC: November 26, 2018
Application received email: December 15, 2018
Email request for "missing" docs: January 4, 2019
Decision made email: January 7, 2019 (28 WD)
Passport received: January 8, 2019 (Approved)
Moved to Scotland: January 30, 2019
UK wedding: March 30, 2019

• Liked: 6110
Re: question about financial documentation for settlement visa
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
It's 28 days from the date of the online application. And the documents are now sent to New York. From there they are scanned to Sheffield for processing.  :)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
Hi, all. I have a question about the financial documents required for our spousal visa application. I have been reading on the forums that the most recent paycheck stub can be no more than 28 days old. Is that 28 days prior to the date the application is submitted, 28 days prior to the Biometrics appointment, or 28 days prior to the day the application and supporting docs are mailed off to New York?

It's 28 days prior to the date you submit and pay for the online application, as that is your official application date.

Here is our dilemma…My fiancé (soon to be spouse) gets paid on the 25th of the month. He is flying to the USA on November 17th and we are getting married on the 19th. Our plan is to apply for the application while he is here and send it off, however, I am afraid that by the time we mail the application his most recent stub will be more than 28 days old and he has no way of getting his hands on a certified copy of his 11/25 paycheck stub until he gets back to the UK. This could throw off our entire timeline if the application has to be mailed within 5 days of my biometrics appointment. However, if the 28 days prior rule applies to the date the application is submitted, we should still fall within that time frame. I have a timeline below of our plans for the application process. Any guidance would be helpful!

If the latest payslip is dated 25th October, then you have until 22nd November to submit the online application.

Nov 17: fiance arrives in the US
Nov 20-23: Biometrics appointment (I hope Thanksgiving doesn't inhibit us from getting an appointment during this week)
Nov 26: Chicago VFS Center Application and Document Checks appointment (hopefully, unless it's not recommended)
Nov 26-27: Mail off application and supporting docs provided they passed the VFS check

I've never heard of Document Checking being an option before, because you cannot attend the VFS Chicago centre unless you have purchased the $1900 Settlement Premium Service, which is a complete waste of money and we do not recommend it.

However, we can check your document list for free here on the forum (And from what others have said, it sounds like the VFS Centres don't necessarily know what they are doing anyway!)

You either do the following:
- schedule biometrics at one of the USCIS Application Support Centers
- attend biometrics at the USCIS
- mail documents to New York within 5 days

OR
- pay $1900 for the Settlement Service (not recommended)
- book biometrics at the VFS Centre in Chicago
- attend biometrics and submit application in person in Chicago (I think this may be where you can pay for the Document Check... but that would be on top of the $1900 premium service!)

The VFS Global site says:
Chicago Premium Application Centre
To attend a premium application centre you will need to purchase a Gold, Silver, Bronze or Settlement Premium Package

Also, is NYC where all settlement docs are being mailed now, I heard from an Immigration lawyer that settlement docs were still being sent to Sheffield and all other visa docs to NYC...

Yes, it's New York now.

The lawyer has out of date information. It was changed about 4 weeks ago, so that all documents are now sent to New York, and then they are scanned to Sheffield electronically.

See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »
Ok, I had checked into the VFS Chicago center and they said they offer a document check and review service for $75. I think our primary concern is having all the official documents checked off on versus the docs that we just need copies of. Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Ok, I had checked into the VFS Chicago center and they said they offer a document check and review service for $75.

Yeah, they do offer that service, but as far as I know, you can't even get into the VFS Chicago Center unless you have already purchased the Settlement Premium Service (which is $1900), so I don't see how you could use it.

However, the new design of the VFS Global website is frustratingly lacking in any useful information, so it's difficult to know what services you can and cannot purchase!

We have had a few people use the Settlement Premium Service, and they have been less than impressed with the document check!

I think our primary concern is having all the official documents checked off on versus the docs that we just need copies of. Thanks!

Well, until they changed the mailing to New York last month, ALL documents had to be either originals or certified copies, and then you had to include photocopies of all original documents you wanted to be returned to you.

However, apparently now all documents can be photocopies. But, if you want to be safe, then include both the originals and photocopies.

See this thread for up to date info:
https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=94952.0

In terms of checking your documents, here on the forum, we're been advising on the documents required for over a decade now and we have helped over 1,000 people get visa approvals, so we can make sure you have all the right documents :).

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
Thank you! We will probably save ourselves the drive up to Chicago then!

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
Another quick question regarding supporting documentation... I have been seeing conflicting info online regarding birth certificates. Do we need them? If so, do both of us need to provide them? Also, do I need to provide any financial documents or just my sponsor's? 

Thanks again!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:17 PM »
Another quick question regarding supporting documentation... I have been seeing conflicting info online regarding birth certificates. Do we need them? If so, do both of us need to provide them? Also, do I need to provide any financial documents or just my sponsor's? 

Thanks again!

No, birth certificates are not needed from either of you, because you provide your passports as proof of ID instead.

No, the applicant does not need to include any financial documents, unless they are using their finances to meet the requirements (I.e. cash savings, non-employment or pension income). However, the online form will ask for your employment details, though they will not actually be relevant to the application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 03:10:59 AM »
Thank you kindly. This has been so helpful. One last (hopefully) question...
We spoke with an immigration lawyer who advised us we should send receipts and other wedding plan info for our big wedding in Scotland next year. She suggested this because our U.S. wedding is going to be very small and they may possibly think we only married for the visa and we aren't a legitimate couple. Would you agree that sending our receipts for the Scotland wedding should be included along with our U.S. Marriage certificate?

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 03:18:20 AM »
Thank you kindly. This has been so helpful. One last (hopefully) question...
We spoke with an immigration lawyer who advised us we should send receipts and other wedding plan info for our big wedding in Scotland next year. She suggested this because our U.S. wedding is going to be very small and they may possibly think we only married for the visa and we aren't a legitimate couple. Would you agree that sending our receipts for the Scotland wedding should be included along with our U.S. Marriage certificate?

This is not required, because you are already legally married and your marriage certificate will prove this.

The only reason to send receipts and weddings planning info is if you are applying for a fiancé visa to marry in the UK, because you have to prove you will meet the terms of the visa and marry within the allowed 6 months.

But you are already married so you do not have to prove anything related to the wedding other than that you are already married.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
The concern is proving our relationship is legit since the wedding in the US is so small. We heard it could work against us. We wanted to make sure to include those plans as relationship evidence.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
The concern is proving our relationship is legit since the wedding in the US is so small. We heard it could work against us. We wanted to make sure to include those plans as relationship evidence.

Nope, it won't work against you in any way. In fact, including the plans may actually confuse the ECO and complicate your application, because they might think you meant to apply for a fiance visa instead of a spousal visa.

Many people on this forum have had small weddings in the US and they have all had their visas approved with no issues at all.

In order to prove your marriage you simply need:
- a valid, legal marriage certificate

And in order to prove your relationship, you need:
- 1 or 2 photos of you together... we normally recommend sending one from the wedding and one from early in the relationship
Proof of regular communication throughout your relationship, such as:
- evidence of trips to see each other (boarding passes or e-tickets)
- evidence of cards/letters sent to each other
- screenshots of emails/messages/calls to each other at regular intervals in your relationship

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 05:01:07 AM »
It's 28 days prior to the date you submit and pay for the online application, as that is your official application date.

If the latest payslip is dated 25th October, then you have until 22nd November to submit the online application.

I've never heard of Document Checking being an option before, because you cannot attend the VFS Chicago centre unless you have purchased the $1900 Settlement Premium Service, which is a complete waste of money and we do not recommend it.

However, we can check your document list for free here on the forum (And from what others have said, it sounds like the VFS Centres don't necessarily know what they are doing anyway!)

You either do the following:
- schedule biometrics at one of the USCIS Application Support Centers
- attend biometrics at the USCIS
- mail documents to New York within 5 days

OR
- pay $1900 for the Settlement Service (not recommended)
- book biometrics at the VFS Centre in Chicago
- attend biometrics and submit application in person in Chicago (I think this may be where you can pay for the Document Check... but that would be on top of the $1900 premium service!)

The VFS Global site says:
Chicago Premium Application Centre
To attend a premium application centre you will need to purchase a Gold, Silver, Bronze or Settlement Premium Package

Yes, it's New York now.

The lawyer has out of date information. It was changed about 4 weeks ago, so that all documents are now sent to New York, and then they are scanned to Sheffield electronically.

See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa
One more question regarding the paycheck stubs. I'm confused about the six versus seven months examples I've been seeing. If my fiance is paid on the 25th of every month and we plan on applying Nov 19th, his stubs and bank statements should date back to when?

question about financial documentation for settlement visa
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
One more question regarding the paycheck stubs. I'm confused about the six versus seven months examples I've been seeing. If my fiance is paid on the 25th of every month and we plan on applying Nov 19th, his stubs and bank statements should date back to when?

You need 6 full months of payslips which ends on the date of the last payslip. This last payslip must be dated within 28 days of the date you apply online.

So if you are applying on November 19th, the last payslip you submit must be dated no earlier than 22nd October.

So, if your fiancé is paid on the 25th, and the date on her latest payslip is Oct 25th, then the 6 months you must cover with the payslips and bank statements is 25th April to 25th October, and every single day of those 6 months must be covered by the dates on the payslips and bank statements

So, the first payslip must explicitly cover April 25th on it and the last must cover October 25th.

Which means you need the following payslips:
1. 25th April
2. 25th May
3. 25th June
4. 25th July
5. 25th August
6. 25th September
7. 25th October

Then you need corresponding bank statements showing the deposit of every single payslip from 25th April to 25th October.

If you only include 6 payslips, that only covers the dates between 25th May to 25th October, which is 5 months, not 6 months, and will not meet the requirements.

So, it’s about the actual dates printed on the payslips, not the number of payslips.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
We married just the two of us (well, and the dude marrying us).  Non-issue.   ;D

Sponsored Links