Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: let’s talk about chili  (Read 4732 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: let’s talk about chili
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
I think my belief came from a kids cookbook I was given when I was wee. It was chili con carne and the picture had Fritos on top.

I've only ever called it chili.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
I don't think many people actually use the term "chili con carne" anymore. Except maybe on the cans of the stuff so people wanting the vegetarian kind will know. Actually, thinking about it, the only place I heard it called that was when I lived back east (in New Jersey). Where people thought putting a little black pepper on some mashed potatoes made for an extremely spicey dinner.  ;) ;)

I've seen it in several of my older (pre 1960s) cookbooks, though.

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 03:07:13 PM »
I don't think many people actually use the term "chili con carne" anymore. Except maybe on the cans of the stuff so people wanting the vegetarian kind will know. Actually, thinking about it, the only place I heard it called that was when I lived back east (in New Jersey). Where people thought putting a little black pepper on some mashed potatoes made for an extremely spicey dinner.  ;) ;)

I've seen it in several of my older (pre 1960s) cookbooks, though.
The Brits call it that. Their chili mix is even labelled chili con carne. Similar in the way they call spaghetti "spaghetti bolognese" or the much dreaded, makes my ears bleed, "spag bol".

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Ew, SpagBol. Sounds like a disease.  ;)  ;)

Nan's Favorite Chili (regionalized for Glasgow)

Brown about kilo of cubed lean stew meat in a little olive oil. Put it in the crock pot.
Add:
1 medium onion, diced
8 ounces tomato sauce (passata)
1/4 cup Vietnamese chili and garlic sauce
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (optional - I usually leave it out as I think it's way too much, but the Daughter prefers it in)
2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano (regular oregano works)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika*
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons table salt

Stir it a bit so that the meat is coated with the spice mix.  If it seems particularly dry, you could add a couple of tablespoons of water. Otherwise, as the meat cooks it will make its own chili gravy so you don't have to worry about how thoroughly it's mixed.

Cook, stirring periodically, until the meat becomes shreddy. (Ready in about six to eight hours, or overnight on low, depending on your tastes and texture preference.)  You'll want to give it a taste about an hour before you plan to serve it - you might want to add more cumin (the magic "it's Mexican" taste ingredient) or possibly salt at that point. If it's too runny, leave the top off the crock pot and it'll evaporate some of the liquid.

To Serve: Ladle onto a bowl of fritos and top with shredded cheese for frito pie. As just chili, serve in a soup bowl and top with chopped onion, shredded cheese, and minced fresh cilantro (if you can get it), with some warm flour tortillas or cornbread. If the chili isn't too runny, it makes a really nice burrito filling. This is one of those things that the more you re-heat it as leftovers, the better it gets. It also freezes and then microwaves well. I tend to cook mine until the meat is shreddy and them mash it all up together so that it absorbs the chili gravy and then use it as a burrito filling most often.

*Some of the heat will come from the paprika, if so you get the hot stuff be aware of that. I usually use a mild smoked variety. 

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »

Brown about kilo of cubed lean stew meat in a little olive oil. Put it in the crock pot.
Add:
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (optional - I usually leave it out as I think it's way too much, but the Daughter prefers it in)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons table salt

Stir it a bit so that the meat is coated with the spice mix.  If it seems particularly dry, you could add a couple of tablespoons of water. Otherwise, as the meat cooks it will make its own chili gravy so you don't have to worry about how thoroughly it's mixed.

Cook, stirring periodically, until the meat becomes shreddy. (Ready in about six to eight hours, or overnight on low, depending on your tastes and texture preference.)  You'll want to give it a taste about an hour before you plan to serve it - you might want to add more cumin (the magic "it's Mexican" taste ingredient) or possibly salt at that point. If it's too runny, leave the top off the crock pot and it'll evaporate some of the liquid.

To Serve: Ladle onto a bowl of fritos and top with shredded cheese for frito pie. As just chili, serve in a soup bowl and top with chopped onion, shredded cheese, and minced fresh cilantro (if you can get it), with some warm flour tortillas or cornbread. If the chili isn't too runny, it makes a really nice burrito filling. This is one of those things that the more you re-heat it as leftovers, the better it gets. It also freezes and then microwaves well. I tend to cook mine until the meat is shreddy and them mash it all up together so that it absorbs the chili gravy and then use it as a burrito filling most often.

*Some of the heat will come from the paprika, if so you get the hot stuff be aware of that. I usually use a mild smoked variety.
I'm just finishing eating the chili I made with beef and pork mince but I'll make this one next week. Stuart hates mince so he won't eat chili but maybe he will like this version instead.

Thanks.

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
You're welcome. You can kind of improvise with the flavors, but this is a decent "base" recipe. We have our favorite brand of chili and garlic sauce sent over from the States (Huy Fong), so I can't say what the flavor would be like if you use a different one.

Again, it's a bit trial-and-error. You have to adjust "heat" and spice to what you like. I do prefer this as a burrito filling, but the Daughter likes it as just a bowl of red and is a garlic addict.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it.  ;D

• Liked: 424
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 04:26:32 PM »

Add:
1 medium onion, diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons table salt

Ooooh thanks for the new recipe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »
Ooooh thanks for the new recipe!

I've been making the Italian sausage Rick. A++!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »

Yay!! Glad you like it! I seem to have tons of recipes, some mine, some not but always happy to share.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »

EEEHHHH??? I need that recipe!

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
EEEHHHH??? I need that recipe!
This is the one Rick gave me.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
I love a can of Stagg Chili.   ;D

I'm telling you people, I am a seriously classy chick.   ;D

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »

I like Hormel or Wolf brand chili. That fake chili taste brings me back to my Friday night dinners at Walgreens restaurant. 

• Liked: 533
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 06:15:38 AM »

The "Dynamite Hot" version actually packs a pretty good kick!

When I first saw it I thought, with a name like Stagg Chili, I had to try it.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »
My personal mantra:  NO TOMATOES IN CHILLI!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab