Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sort of an update on my nephew saga from 2016  (Read 295 times)

• Liked: 0
Sort of an update on my nephew saga from 2016
« on: October 18, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »
This is the link for the last update 2 years ago and there is a link in there on the original post.

I can't believe it's been 2 years since we were asked to foster. Over the past 2 years, my sister has made excuse after excuse to cancel visits and has done some very stupid things that caused her to lose unsupervised visits. Sadly, this past April, she lost her parental rights but was still given visitation. The cancellations continued and was really confusing and upsetting to my nephew so about 2 weeks ago, she lost her visits with him.

We had gone through a fostering assessment last year and was approved but at that time, the US officials weren't sure how that would go. It's been a struggle getting them to look into how to get him here legally. They contacted the attorney that was suggested here but they ended up getting a different Hague Cert. attorney that they later discovered was no longer certified! Anyway, he did say what they needed to do.

They have forwarded all information to our local council's adoption department and have already been in touch. The end goal is now adoption. We start our adoption assessment next month and they should be able to fast track it somewhat but it's a start.   We are also in touch with an independent solicitor because our LA are seeking advice on at least getting him here on a Child Arrangement Order so we can have him here while we go through the assessment.

Now, everything I read on immigration says we have to have the assessment complete and approved to bring him over as our adopted child with the intent to adopt through the courts in the UK.

Is there a visa that would get him here for a Child Arrangement Order? The independent solicitor is supposed to ring up today to see if they can advise on the case but I thought I could look at the immigration rules in the meantime but I'm struggling as usual.

Also, for the financial requirements on the visa...we qualify if they need us to meet the one child amount. However, that is only because my husband was given more hours last month and that we will be getting a stipend from the state authorities in the US once we have him. This is to be paid till he is 25 years old.  If we apply, say in the next few months, our income would fail because my husband only worked 30 hours and now it's 37 which has bumped up his non-salaried pay. He has been at this job for just over 6 months.  Would he be able to get his employer to supply a letter that his new working hours will stay the same? And can we use the adoption stipend to get the one child requirement amount?

On a happy note, my nephew has adjusted so wonderfully with his gram. His speech is on track and he is a little math wiz.  He is now 6 and in first grade. The American authorities have paid for them to come over each year so have had 2 wonderful, long holidays with him.

There are a few times where we spoke to his social workers if they feel this is the right thing due to all this taking so long and they really want him with us. My husband and I have spoken about pulling out because we want him to be in his forever home.  My sister was given 2 years to get her act together before removing her rights so adoption would have been looked at in that time frame. So he would have had to wait that out. The idea of going through another assessment makes me nervous (we are just shy people) but he is so worth more than any nerves.

Sorry so long and thank you for any advice. I also apologise if I've repeated myself in any way.

• Liked: 957
Re: Sort of an update on my nephew saga from 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
I can't give useful immigration advice, but I'm really glad you're still working on this and that your nephew is stable with his grandma. Wishing you the best of luck as you go through the adoption process!!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
This is really far out of our wheelhouse but I'm so happy to hear the update and that things are progressing.  You'll get there - I can feel it!  :D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
Great to hear the update. You guys are doing an amazing thing.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
Thank you. I've got an initial consultation with a solicitor at the end of the month. Hopefully, will get somewhere for his sake.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab