Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship Application at the last minute.... wheee!  (Read 1014 times)

• Liked: 1327
Citizenship Application at the last minute.... wheee!
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
I phoned the council where I wanted to do my citizenship application (NDRS + JCAP) today to book an appointment and learned they have an official end date for the service and they're fully booked for their remaining appointments.  So then I phoned my backup council and learned the same thing.  But I said, "I doubt it'll happen, but if there's a cancellation, could I possible get that spot?"  The woman was very nice and said yes that would be okay, and then she said, "Let me have a look and see..."  And there was a cancellation!  I booked my appointment for 11am on 24 October!

My online application is completed-but-not-submitted because I still need to collect a few details from my referees, and I want to have my signed referee declarations in hand before I submit my application and pay.  But I'm well inside the 10-business-day window, so I can submit it as soon as my application is ready.

I've sent the link to the referee declaration pdf to one of my referees, and I have asked my husband to send the link to my other one (the reason we dragged our heels on this thing in the first place) so he can sign and post it back ASAP.  Or we might drive to Salisbury at the weekend to ask him in person.  I don't know.  I'm just glad there is a weekend between now and my hastily-booked appointment, so we have options.  And I'm glad I have a car!  And I'm glad I have my full license and can get myself there.

I can do this!  I'm full of adrenaline right now, but I can do this!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
Re: Citizenship Application at the last minute.... wheee!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
I phoned the council where I wanted to do my citizenship application (NDRS + JCAP) today to book an appointment and learned they have an official end date for the service and they're fully booked for their remaining appointments.  So then I phoned my backup council and learned the same thing.  But I said, "I doubt it'll happen, but if there's a cancellation, could I possible get that spot?"  The woman was very nice and said yes that would be okay, and then she said, "Let me have a look and see..."  And there was a cancellation!  I booked my appointment for 11am on 24 October!

My online application is completed-but-not-submitted because I still need to collect a few details from my referees, and I want to have my signed referee declarations in hand before I submit my application and pay.  But I'm well inside the 10-business-day window, so I can submit it as soon as my application is ready.

I've sent the link to the referee declaration pdf to one of my referees, and I have asked my husband to send the link to my other one (the reason we dragged our heels on this thing in the first place) so he can sign and post it back ASAP.  Or we might drive to Salisbury at the weekend to ask him in person.  I don't know.  I'm just glad there is a weekend between now and my hastily-booked appointment, so we have options.  And I'm glad I have a car!  And I'm glad I have my full license and can get myself there.

How exciting... Congratulations  :)
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
Yay! It's so soon! You've got this :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
Thanks, you guys... I do have this!  I was just a bit surprised at how close to the deadline I am.  I was up against it when I was initially told "no" by the second council.  But fortunately, they did have a cancellation, so it's fine.  I probably shouldn't panic too much... I just hate being a guinea pig.  I want to go with the tried and true service, rather than test the replacement.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »

Hallelujah!  ;D. You have no idea how happy I am to hear this!  :D. GOOD FOR YOU!  :D

• Liked: 114
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
Thanks, you guys... I do have this!  I was just a bit surprised at how close to the deadline I am.  I was up against it when I was initially told "no" by the second council.  But fortunately, they did have a cancellation, so it's fine.  I probably shouldn't panic too much... I just hate being a guinea pig.  I want to go with the tried and true service, rather than test the replacement.
Woohoo! Well done on the booking!

If you do end up having to make the trek to Salisbury, we should meet up.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 387
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:02:36 PM »
You go!

You've totally got this.  :)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:55:10 PM »
Yay, you got this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 85
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:41 PM »
I phoned the council where I wanted to do my citizenship application (NDRS + JCAP) today to book an appointment and learned they have an official end date for the service and they're fully booked for their remaining appointments. 

Wait, they're ending the service? So it that it, no citizenship except by post in the future?

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
Wait, they're ending the service? So it that it, no citizenship except by post in the future?

This is why I was in such a panic.  Currently, the government contracts with local authorities to offer NDRS (NCS was phased out already).  However that contract is due to expire at the end of October or early November, and the government did not renew the contract with the local authorities.  They, instead, went with a private contractor to provide a new "streamlined process" (link).  To date, there is no information available yet about the new provider's process (at least, none that the councils could tell me about, and the gov.uk website doesn't really make it clear what happens next).  So, for some indefinite time going forward, it appears only postal applications will be possible (I only called councils in Wales, so maybe there's more information available for England).  Someone else might know better..?

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »
My husband emailed my "professional" referee yesterday and has not heard back.  We're prepared to drive to Salisbury this weekend to get his declaration signed, but we need to hear from him first!  Starting to panic again.  :/

Meanwhile, my non-professional referee just discovered her passport expired in April.  I have all of her details now, and she's posting the signed declaration to me today, but will an expired passport be a problem?

Edited to add:  Just changed my answer to "Does your referee have a British passport?" from yes to no, and it didn't ask for any other form of national ID.  So their passport is optional, I guess?  Now I don't know if I should say yes and add the number (even though it's expired), or just leave it as no.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:44:32 AM by jfkimberly »

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
My husband emailed my "professional" referee yesterday and has not heard back.  We're prepared to drive to Salisbury this weekend to get his declaration signed, but we need to hear from him first!  Starting to panic again.  :/

Meanwhile, my non-professional referee just discovered her passport expired in April.  I have all of her details now, and she's posting the signed declaration to me today, but will an expired passport be a problem?

Edited to add:  Just changed my answer to "Does your referee have a British passport?" from yes to no, and it didn't ask for any other form of national ID.  So their passport is optional, I guess?  Now I don't know if I should say yes and add the number (even though it's expired), or just leave it as no.

I mentioned this a while ago, I'm not sure if you noticed or not but the list of referees is not exhaustive.

Our professional referee was not on the list but was "a member of a professional body." Hopefully the person you have lined up comes through for you but that may open some more doors for you?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/739936/AN_Guide_-_September_2018_Final.pdf

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »
I mentioned this a while ago, I'm not sure if you noticed or not but the list of referees is not exhaustive.

Our professional referee was not on the list but was "a member of a professional body." Hopefully the person you have lined up comes through for you but that may open some more doors for you?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/739936/AN_Guide_-_September_2018_Final.pdf

I realized one of my old, old acquaintances from a support group/forum that is now pretty much dissolved went on to become a doctor or something with NHS in London (he was 15 or 16 when we met at a Christmas meetup in London in 2004, so, quick-maths, he's old enough now).  I've sent him a message to see if he would be willing to serve as a referee if I can't reach Giles in time.  Waiting to hear back.  Thing is, everybody I know is in Salusbury or further, or I haven't known them long enough.  No matter who I get, it's going to be a stressful few days waiting for the posts.  :(

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »
I realized one of my old, old acquaintances from a support group/forum that is now pretty much dissolved went on to become a doctor or something with NHS in London (he was 15 or 16 when we met at a Christmas meetup in London in 2004, so, quick-maths, he's old enough now).  I've sent him a message to see if he would be willing to serve as a referee if I can't reach Giles in time.  Waiting to hear back.  Thing is, everybody I know is in Salusbury or further, or I haven't known them long enough.  No matter who I get, it's going to be a stressful few days waiting for the posts.  :(

We need to put this on the todo list for new arrivals... earmark a handful of professionals that could possibly be your citizenship referee when the time comes!  ;D
And you have just doubled your chances of not having to go on a major expedition! Fingers firmly crossed for you!  :)

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
We need to put this on the todo list for new arrivals... earmark a handful of professionals that could possibly be your citizenship referee when the time comes!  ;D
And you have just doubled your chances of not having to go on a major expedition! Fingers firmly crossed for you!  :)

Yes.  I remember when I first came over on my fiance visa, Giles told me that as a license-holder, he was qualified to serve as a referee, and so I just kind of put it out my mind.  I thought, "Great!  I've got one." But then we moved to Wales two years ago... don't know anybody here for long enough, and now we're having trouble reaching Giles last-minute.  If I had multiple suitable referees, this wouldn't be a problem.

Do postmen count?  So-called "Royal" Mail is privatised now, so I don't know if they would count.  They are entrusted with delivering post, so...?  And we know several (a surprising number of postmen lived in our village and the next village over!).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab