Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship Application at the last minute.... wheee!  (Read 1016 times)

• Liked: 6111
Re: Citizenship Application at the last minute.... wheee!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Yes.  I remember when I first came over on my fiance visa, Giles told me that as a license-holder, he was qualified to serve as a referee, and so I just kind of put it out my mind.  I thought, "Great!  I've got one." But then we moved to Wales two years ago... don't know anybody here for long enough, and now we're having trouble reaching Giles last-minute.  If I had multiple suitable referees, this wouldn't be a problem.

Do postmen count?  So-called "Royal" Mail is privatised now, so I don't know if they would count.  They are entrusted with delivering post, so...?  And we know several (a surprising number of postmen lived in our village and the next village over!).

I don't think posties count. Post Office official does.  :)

I know, you thought you were all set up. We were kind of in the same boat. The neighbour whose greenhouse I was looking after is a retired GP and I had him earmarked the whole time. When I asked him, he said he didn't think he would count because he was no longer a member of his professional body, so I had to scramble a bit to find a reserve!   ;D

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
... we moved to Wales two years ago... don't know anybody here for long enough.

Do postmen count?  So-called "Royal" Mail is privatised now, so I don't know if they would count.  They are entrusted with delivering post, so...?  And we know several (a surprising number of postmen lived in our village and the next village over!).

From the website at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/739936/AN_Guide_-_September_2018_Final.pdf it looks like you only need one professional and one UK citizen aged over 25.  A British postperson over 25, plus your GP?

If they’re both UK citizens, they don’t need to have known you for any stated period of time, if I’m reading the website correctly?

"One referee must be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, for example, accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable professional persons can be found on our website.

The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
From the website at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/739936/AN_Guide_-_September_2018_Final.pdf it looks like you only need one professional and one UK citizen aged over 25.  A British postperson over 25, plus your GP?

If they’re both UK citizens, they don’t need to have known you for any stated period of time, if I’m reading the website correctly?

"One referee must be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, for example, accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable professional persons can be found on our website.

The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

I didn't register with a GP at my old house because I had thought the whole time that we lived there that we were going to move house "soon".  We finally did, 2 years ago.  So my GP hasn't known me long enough.

In re-examining the referee requirements, I'm worried about my first referee's expired passport.  :/  I don't think I can use her, either!  But at least she's easy to replace.  Anybody from my old village can fill in for her.

This is what the guidance says:

Referees
All applicants for British citizenship must provide 2 referees to establish their identity. You must only contact the referees if this could resolve concerns about the application and you have the authority from a senior caseworker to do so.

You must ensure that the following requirements are met:

The referee must:

• have known the (adult) applicant for at least 3 years
• a British passport holder and either a professional person or aged over 25 (at least one referee must be a professional person)

The referee must not:

• be related to the applicant or the other referee
• be the applicant’s representative
• be employed by the Home Office
• have been convicted of an imprisonable offence in the last 10 years for which the sentence is not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974

(two paragraphs about child applicants or people applying from abroad}

Referees that do not meet the requirements.

If it is clear from the information provided that a referee does not meet the requirements, you must ask the applicant to provide a different referee.

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
And I know yours will fall into place, jfkimberly but from that guidance you quoted 
If it is clear from the information provided that a referee does not meet the requirements, you must ask the applicant to provide a different referee.
It's not like anything catastrophic would happen if they didn't like them, you would just be asked to find someone more suitable which would, at worst, slow you down a bit!  :)

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Ah, so there is a 3-year requirement even if both are UK citizens.   :(

Is there anyone you’ve known for three years who could be considered professional even if not on the list?   A writer?  Tax adviser?  Teacher?  MP?

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
Here is the list, in case anyone else reading is interested.  :)

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf

• Liked: 70
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 06:15:41 PM »
If I remember rightly, I used my husband's childhood friend's mother who was an accountant.  Not that she works as one, just she was certified and did the bookkeeping for their family business.  You may be surprised by who knows someone who knows someone who met you that time at a party 4 years ago.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
It is a silly class-based requirement  that ought to be abolished

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
If I remember rightly, I used my husband's childhood friend's mother who was an accountant.  Not that she works as one, just she was certified and did the bookkeeping for their family business.  You may be surprised by who knows someone who knows someone who met you that time at a party 4 years ago.

I moved from Salisbury area to southwest Wales two years ago, so all tjose random people I met are about 200 miles away.  I need both declarations by Wednesday, sooo... my husband and I are travelling to our old village near Salisbury tomorrow with a few blank forms and we'll go to the pub and see old friends, grab some signatures and details, and have a jolly time. 
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links