Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: confused about document requirements with new application procedure  (Read 1246 times)

• Liked: 76
Has there been a definitive answer on whether or not original documents are needed or has it completely moved to photocopies? I have been reading the forums and seeing the links that have been posted about needing only copies now,  but I am super nervous about not sending originals.

Should I still send two copies of everything? That seems to have been recommended in the past prior to the new procedure for applying...

Are the barcode separators still needed as part of the application?

If only copies are required now, do bank statements printed from home still require a letter of authenticity from the bank and do they still need to be stamped on each page? Same with paycheck stubs... can my sponsor print his from his work's online payment portal or does he still need a letter of authenticity to accompany with it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I studied the doc requirements backward and forward the last few months and now with all the changes I am more confused than ever :/
Met the love of my life: October 1, 2017
Engaged to be married: April 8, 2018
USA wedding: November 19, 2018
Application type: Priority
Online application submitted: November 19, 2018
Biometrics taken & docs sent: November 23, 2018
Documents delivered to NYC: November 26, 2018
Application received email: December 15, 2018
Email request for "missing" docs: January 4, 2019
Decision made email: January 7, 2019 (28 WD)
Passport received: January 8, 2019 (Approved)
Moved to Scotland: January 30, 2019
UK wedding: March 30, 2019

• Liked: 4985
Re: confused about document requirements with new application procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
Until we know differently, we still recommend sending the originals.

There hasn’t been a processed application yet since the change and until we’ve had a few cases, we are using caution and recommending originals verses photocopies.  As the specified evidence document still says everything needs to be originals.

Did you receive barcode seperators?  If so, that’s a new change for USA applications.

Yes for bank statements and payslips still needing authentication.

Have a read here.  This hasn’t changed and until it does, not following this guide could lead to a refusal. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Yes, I have had a look at that link, I just feel like I'm getting conflicting info on other sites and don't know what's best at this point.

I had read about the barcode separators being required on other forums as well as on the VFS website here https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/au/en/vacs/supporting-documents. Is it not required for the USA, cause it doesn't state that unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
Yes, I have had a look at that link, I just feel like I'm getting conflicting info on other sites and don't know what's best at this point.

That link is the official guidance on what must be provided by everyone across the world who is applying for a spousal visa.

Until we have any official published guidance to contrary (not just an email posted by someone on Facebook), then you should continue to follow the guidance in that link.

We are in a transition phase at the moment where they are changing the application process for the US and no one really knows how it works yet... we’ll just have to see what happens over the next few weeks and months.

I had read about the barcode separators being required on other forums as well as on the VFS website here https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/au/en/vacs/supporting-documents. Is it not required for the USA, cause it doesn't state that unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help.

Each country has a different application process, so you cannot compare them. Barcode separators are only required in certain countries and not in others... because it depends on the application method used in each individual country,

So, if it doesn’t say that you need them for the US, then you don’t need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Honestly, it's best to stick to one forum and just use that.  Otherwise, you WILL get conflicting information and confuse yourself.  You want to focus on what is required for applications from the USA only, as the requirements for USA applications are a bit different than other countries.  For example, other forums will talk about bar code separators, TB tests, English pass tests, application centres, etc.  None of that applies for USA citizens.

Stick with us (or whichever forum focuses in applications specifically from your country if not from the USA) and the official guidance and you WILL get your visa.  :)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
But the VFS site doesn't specify any countries for the barcode separators. So how do we know if the US is exempt? I found the info on which countries require the TB test, but nothing on the barcode separators. If it's one less thing to worry about then I'm all for it but I don't want the application to be rejected over something like missing barcode separators.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:32:23 PM by JustJac »

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »
But the VFS site doesn't specify any countries for the barcode separators. So how do we know if the US is exempt? I found the info on which countries require the TB test, but nothing on the barcode separators.

I’m confused - VFS has a separate website for each country. If you are applying from the US and there is no mention of barcode separators on the US VFS site, then you don’t need them.

Whether or not you need barcode separators is determined by VFS Global for the particular country where you are applying. However, things like English tests and TB tests are determined by UKVI and the countries that need to take them are published on the UKVI website.

As far as I know, the countries where you need barcode separators are ones where you submit your documents in person at the biometrics appointment, then the documents are handed back to you. In the US, you attend biometrics first at a US immigration centre and then mail the documents to UKVI... therefore barcode separators have never been needed for US applications.

The only place on the VFS website you should be looking is here, which is specifically for US applications:
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/how-to-apply

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Ah, here we go for US applicants:
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/vacs/supporting-documents

It’s a little confusing because there are separate instructions for people applying at a Premium Application Centre vs. people applying by post. And it’s not clear whether everyone needs the barcode separators or if only the people applying at the Premium Centre need them (which has been the case in the past for other countries).

Until we know for sure, I’d say, if in doubt, then include the barcode separators. If they aren’t needed, then they won’t be used.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
Great, thanks. Crossing my fingers someone who has applied since the new procedures have been put in place gets theirs back prior to us submitting my application next month!

• Liked: 65
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »
Great, thanks. Crossing my fingers someone who has applied since the new procedures have been put in place gets theirs back prior to us submitting my application next month!
I’m right there with you! I’m applying at the beginning of November! Going to Staples now to see if they have A4 size paper - lol

Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
I thought A4 was the same as standard US letter size but just read that it's not. I literally spent four hours last night printing everything out on standard paper  >:(

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 08:53:40 PM »
I thought A4 was the same as standard US letter size but just read that it's not. I literally spent four hours last night printing everything out on standard paper  >:(

See there's even confusion on this as well, because the VFS website says A4 size paper only, but the instructional letter given out at the biometrics appointment apparently says copies of original documents must be US letter size (https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=94952.0)!

So, who knows which one is correct!

For information:

US letter size = 8.5 x 10.98 inches =  216 x 279 mm
UK A4 size =  8.27 x 11.69 inches = 210 x 297 mm

So, A4 is slightly thinner and longer than US letter.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »
See there's even confusion on this as well, because the VFS website says A4 size paper only, but the instructional letter given out at the biometrics appointment apparently says copies of original documents must be US letter size (https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=94952.0)!

So, who knows which one is correct!

For information:

US letter size = 8.5 x 10.98 inches =  216 x 279 mm
UK A4 size =  8.27 x 11.69 inches = 210 x 297 mm

So, A4 is slightly thinner and longer than US letter.

Yikes. Well I may send everything I printed last night and send a second set of copies of everything on the A4 paper. Probably annoying to the people who are scanning them, but better safe than sorry. Maybe in my letter I'll mention that I sent two sets because the info was contradictory.

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
This is from the government's website:

7.13 The Rules changes are also aimed at helping applicants to meet the evidential requirements in the Rules. 
To support the new application process as it can be difficult for applicants to obtain original documents, especially if they need to be obtained from overseas, the requirement to provide original documents is being removed and copies
can be provided.  If there are doubts about whether a document is genuine, verification rules will apply.

You can find it here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/747688/Explanatory-memorandum-HC1534-Print.pdf

Also, one of the people on the group i'm in did reach out to UKVI (prior to this change getting added to their website) and received a response.
 Home Office email; "We are in a period of transition in terms of US casework and some published advice has yet to catch up with the changes, so I can see how this is causing confusion. To answer your questions:

· All applications should be sent to the following address for processing:

VFS Services USA Inc.
UKVI Scanning Hub
750 3rd Avenue,
Suite 946
New York, NY 10017

· Photocopies are fine.

· A4 or US letter size – either is fine.

Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
Thank you. I think I had read those posts already but was getting confused by what the VFS website said versus the UK.gov site. I'm guessing that's what they're referring to when they say all the published info hasn't caught up.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab