Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: President Trump to pull US from Russia missile treaty  (Read 2301 times)

• Liked: 676
President Trump to pull US from Russia missile treaty
« on: October 21, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
Time to stop watching the news. :-X

• Liked: 1892
Re: President Trump to pull US from Russia missile treaty
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
Much like the agreement with Iran, I never heard anyone say it was broken until Trump.  I can't see any way this will be better after Trump messes with it.

Mr. Texas, care to fill us in on what the point of this is?  Distraction?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
More nukes!! Hurray!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
I suspect he started the Trade War with China so he can end it and claim the credit, a bit like the process with him antagonizing N. Korea and then becoming big buddies.

Maybe this is more of the same crap.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
More nukes!! Hurray!

Not just that, but intermediate range nukes, which I'm sure the UK and Europe will be excited about, seeing as how thrilled they were the last time they had US intermediate range nuclear missiles in their countries.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
I suspect he started the Trade War with China so he can end it and claim the credit, a bit like the process with him antagonizing N. Korea and then becoming big buddies.

Maybe this is more of the same crap.

I don't think he's capable of that level of strategy.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
We all know his seemingly antagonistic act toward Russia really is just an act.  Trump is pulling out of the treaty because Putin wants him to.

Obama warned Russia on their suspected violations of the INF in 2015, but did not take any action.  "We've" known about this for years.

But what's happening now is Putin has manipulated Trump into withdrawing the US from the treaty, because that gives Putin/Russia carte blanche to develop all the intermediate-range nuclear weapons he wants to.  Which, coincidentally, are ground-based weapons with a range of 500 to 5500 km, which are enough to reach Europe, but not the US.

And Trump has already questioned the value of NATO, so is it a guarantee that the US will retaliate/help defend if Russia attacks Europe?

Putin is setting the stage.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:05:29 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
Ah, the puppetmaster.

Seriously, how the hell did it come to this?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
Ah, the puppetmaster.

Seriously, how the hell did it come to this?

I think all the credit goes to Putin, and ironically, to the GOP.  That party has changed so much since the Reagan era.  I wasn't a fan of it then, but at least I could understand their motivations.

Idiocracy is looking more and more like the Disney version of what's actually happened to the US.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
Sadly, yes.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
Just when you thin it can't get any worse....well, Orange Foolious does something else with no thought of the consequences. Thanks Putin, the gift that keeps on giving...
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
We all know his seemingly antagonistic act toward Russia really is just an act.  Trump is pulling out of the treaty because Putin wants him to.

Obama warned Russia on their suspected violations of the INF in 2015, but did not take any action.  "We've" known about this for years.

But what's happening now is Putin has manipulated Trump into withdrawing the US from the treaty, because that gives Putin/Russia carte blanche to develop all the intermediate-range nuclear weapons he wants to.  Which, coincidentally, are ground-based weapons with a range of 500 to 5500 km, which are enough to reach Europe, but not the US.

And Trump has already questioned the value of NATO, so is it a guarantee that the US will retaliate/help defend if Russia attacks Europe?

Putin is setting the stage.

Perhaps this is what Trump and Putin have been so eager to talk about in private.   I'm surprised that privately communicating with Putin has been such a concern for Trump, ever since the beginning.  Remember that early on in the presidency, Jared Kushner asked that a private line be set up straight to the Kremlin?  And the Helsinki summit started with Trump INSISTING that he be able to speak alone with Putin for hours.  And the last delegation of Republicans to go to Russia (one the fourth of July, you couldn't make this stuff up) carried a private letter from Trump to Putin. 

None of these facts are even denied by the White House, so what is it they are talking about?

Any Trump followers know?

• Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
Russia has developed & flown intermediate range missiles for a long time now in violation of this treaty. They currently have nuclear tipped intermediate range missiles deployed on mobile launchers targeted across Europe. In a first strike, those would detonate before NORAD knew they’d been launched.

So... you either the US & NATO can counter by putting the same threat on their doorstep, or you can keep a treaty that we follow and they don’t.

What would you like to do?

The last three presidents have continued to comply with the treaty while begging the Russians to do the same. They’ve not only denied violating it in face of evidence, but aggressively developed new systems. That hasn’t worked and a profoundly dangerous situation has developed that permits Russia to be aggressive in Eastern Europe without regard to western protest.

It continues to surprise me that people don’t get Trump by now. If his steak came out cooked wrong, he’d raise holy hell making a scene and threatening to sue the place into oblivion. Not because he intends to do any of that, but because he thinks a big threat gets compliance. And while it’s definitely not a nice way to treat people with whom you have disagreements, and likely isn’t the most effective method, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

When he wanted relatively small changes to NAFTA he threatened to pull out of it. Then he ended up getting a deal with concessions and updates that isn’t a massive change but they didn’t ask for massive changes. And he claimed victory. That’s his MO in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »
Yay, more nukes!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »
Perhaps this is what Trump and Putin have been so eager to talk about in private.   I'm surprised that privately communicating with Putin has been such a concern for Trump, ever since the beginning.  Remember that early on in the presidency, Jared Kushner asked that a private line be set up straight to the Kremlin?  And the Helsinki summit started with Trump INSISTING that he be able to speak alone with Putin for hours.  And the last delegation of Republicans to go to Russia (one the fourth of July, you couldn't make this stuff up) carried a private letter from Trump to Putin. 

None of these facts are even denied by the White House, so what is it they are talking about?

Any Trump followers know?
In what world would any head of state not be able to speak directly and privately with any other head of state? Especially superpower and especially the two largest nuclear forces pointed at each other? That’s just crazy town that it’d be some sort of scandal.

I don’t care if you hate the guy. I don’t care if you think he’s in the bag or compromised or doesn’t have the temperament or is dangerous or whatever you think. The guy is legitimately the president. He has to be able to do absolutely everything that every president of every party has to be able to do in order to execute the job. He has to be able to exercise all powers and authority of the office just like Obama did. It doesn’t matter if you trust him. It doesn’t matter if you think that may result in the end of the world. Suck it up and makes sure to vote in 2020. Until then he’s the president. Without limitation.

Also, there has been multiple direct lines since JFK. All they were doing was updating the tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links