Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marmite, Shandy, Heinz Beans on Toast  (Read 3028 times)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
Marmite, Shandy, Heinz Beans on Toast
« on: June 13, 2002, 09:05:29 PM »
I'm trying very, very hard to expand my food horizons to include some of my honey's favorite foods.  I do love Indian and Chinese and whenever I'm in the UK I have to have a curry after a pub crawl BUT I'm finding it difficult to like Marmite (really does smell like stinky feet to me); enjoying a refreshing Shandy (it sounded so good but couldn't get one past my gums) and Heinz beans on toast - I probably will learn to like this new way to eat beans but just haven't gotten there yet.  How about you guys?  Do you like these foods yet?  Especially Marmite?????
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Marmite, Shandy, Heinz Beans on Toast
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 09:08:55 PM »
I think Marmite is the devil.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 09:16:14 PM »
Well, we've had the Marmite debate and concluded that you either love it or hate it.  Personally, I love it.  Beans on toast is an acquired taste.  I like it, but not for breakfast, which is when most Brits eat it.  Drinking a shandy is like drinking decaffeinated coffee.  What's the point?  And it tastes like @#$%.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 10:40:09 PM »
Well, Willie just called and told me he's making dinner tonight;  bangers and mash it will be!  I haven't tried the (chicken and apples bangers) before so I'm about to engage in another food adventure!!! :-/
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 11:42:00 PM »
Oh my what a great GF you are...  I won't put my mouth near marmite, nor do I do the beans on toast thang......YUCKY......  Totally disgusting.  I'm not too high on english food.  I'll stick to my Italian, Chinese. Thai, and American, etc...  Anything but beans on toast and marmite..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 11:44:10 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 02:16:56 AM »
I think Marmite is the devil.

No, I'll tell you what is evil.  Twiglets are evil.  Because, you can be at a party, and you're talking and having a good time.   And hey, there's some crisps.  So, you reach down and pick up a handful of crisps.  And you're chatting and you start to put the crisps in your mouth.  And all the while your brain is telling you 'you're eating crisps, crisps are good.'  So you put the crisps in your mouth and ACK!! ACK!!  It's a TWIGLET!! It's bloody marmite!  and you've eaten it!  And you're out in public!  So you have to finish eating the evil thing. UGH!  So that's why twiglets are evil.   :-X

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 03:41:13 AM »
I'm the odd one out, I'm afraid.  I do like a shandy, and I LOVE beans on toast, especially at breakfast (as does my 14-year-old).  As for twiglets, the curry-flavoured ones are okay...prefer the curry-flavoured Pringles, though!  Which I can't get back here in the States...

However, on the Marmite front, I have to admit defeat.  Ick.  Ick.  Ick.  And luckily, my BF feels the same!

Oh - and love bangers and mash, too.  And steak and kidney pie, and pie and mash, and Yorkshire pudding, really good fish-n-chips w/vinegar & salt...I'm the only person I know who looks FORWARD to the food on a trip to England!

Just had to stand up for the food - except Marmite.  It can stand up for itself. [smiley=freak.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 05:23:28 AM »
No, I'll tell you what is evil.  Twiglets are evil.  Because, you can be at a party, and you're talking and having a good time.   And hey, there's some crisps.  So, you reach down and pick up a handful of crisps.  And you're chatting and you start to put the crisps in your mouth.  And all the while your brain is telling you 'you're eating crisps, crisps are good.'  So you put the crisps in your mouth and ACK!! ACK!!  It's a TWIGLET!! It's bloody marmite!  and you've eaten it!  And you're out in public!  So you have to finish eating the evil thing. UGH!  So that's why twiglets are evil.   :-X

LOL!!!!!!!!  [smiley=laugh3.gif]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 07:19:10 AM »
I like Twiglets.   :)

• having one of those days...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 06:05:17 PM »
put me in with the 'hate marmite' category.

my hubby sometimes has beans on toast for dinner, if he wants something light.  suits me, as long i don't ahve to eat it.  i have my spam musubi instead (hey, i'm from hawaii!)

yes, twiglets are evil.  however, i have discovered the 'tangy' flavored ones, which is coated with worcester sauce, not marmite, and i can eat a whole bag of them while watching a movie (not recommended, tummyache after).

i'm not keen on shandy.  our 'local' serves white wine so i have that or a diet coke (w/ice and lemon, of course!)

i think you'll get used to the food if you're adventurous enough.  but then again, there are lots of places around to get stuff that you like.  the only thing i miss that i can't get some sort od substitute for is poi.

try gong down to the local butcher's or sasages.  our one has lots of different varieties...i tried a pork, onion and sun-dried tomato one...not bad.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 08:28:02 PM »

yes, twiglets are evil.  however, i have discovered the 'tangy' flavored ones, which is coated with worcester sauce, not marmite, and i can eat a whole bag of them while watching a movie (not recommended, tummyache after).

Oh, that's just part of the plot to lull you into eating marmite flavoured ones  by mistake.  
;)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 12:46:11 PM »
I'm with NY.  Can't stand Marmite.  Never really liked beans whether I was in the US or here, so don't put them on my toast!  Ick!  

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2002, 07:33:01 PM »
You'll find that even the company who produces(?) Marmite acknowledges the fact that you either hate it or love it.

Just check out what it is made of :

The basic raw material used in the manufacture of MARMITE spread is spent brewer's yeast, a substance whose original and only use was to ferment sugars into alcohol. For many years this by-product of the brewing process was seen as a nuisance rather than a potentially valuble food source.

I must say I nearly collapsed laughing when NY tasted it for the first time.  We were standing in a supermarket and I said to her, you really need to try this.  I opened a small jar and scooped a bit out for her.  The moment it hit her taste buds her eyes just popped open  :o and her face went all funny [smiley=confused.gif].  She tried to get me to give her my handkerchief so she could spit it out  :P.  For some reason I didn't give it to her, I wonder why?  ???  Her face was hilarious for the next hour [smiley=sick.gif].  

It is also great party trick.  Spread some bread with Marmite and put them out.  You'll have the people who like it and you'll have a great time watching the people who try it fr the first time.  [smiley=devilish.gif]
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2002, 10:07:47 PM »
I must say I nearly collapsed laughing when NY tasted it for the first time.......She tried to get me to give her my handkerchief so she could spit it out  :P.  For some reason I didn't give it to her, I wonder why?  ???  

OK, DOES EVERYONE SEE THAT??  I HAVE WITNESSES...  I'll remember this, don't worry... [smiley=shifty.gif]  I'm so glad you thought it was funny.  Next time honey, darling, love of my life, the father of my unborn children.....Expect it when you least expect it....Tsk, tsk, tsk.....now you of all people, you should know better than than... [smiley=evilgrin.gif]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2002, 10:09:04 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2002, 10:58:45 PM »
Uh, NY - what exactly is American food?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab