Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving by Plane or by Shipments  (Read 3386 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: Moving by Plane or by Shipments
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 11:46:35 PM »
So if you are using an excess luggage forwarding company, and you're outside the TOR window, do you have to pay duty on your old clothes you're bringing over (that were left behind originally)? If that's the case, the handling fees and customs fees probably negate any savings one would have from using a luggage forwarder over paying the extra $100 or $200 per extra bag with the airline.

Yeah that's definitely what it sounds like. Thanks for the link too!

Another question on bringing things overseas. I am a musician and have some CDs of mine that I would like to bring with me and hopefully sell someday. Does it make it more complicated if you are moving things that you do own, but that you are planning to sell? Does this still fall under personal items you list under a transfer of residence or is there more paperwork that I would need to do to bring those?

• Liked: 676
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 01:19:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure that if you list something on the TOR you cannot sell it or give it away for a set period of time (one year?). If you're going to be importing commercial merchandise for sale, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. I would think if you didn't sell them during the time the TOR docs indicate you can't sell them during you'd be ok....?  Hopefully someone expert will chime in here soon for you. Good luck!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Yeah that's definitely what it sounds like. Thanks for the link too!

Another question on bringing things overseas. I am a musician and have some CDs of mine that I would like to bring with me and hopefully sell someday. Does it make it more complicated if you are moving things that you do own, but that you are planning to sell? Does this still fall under personal items you list under a transfer of residence or is there more paperwork that I would need to do to bring those?

I'm pretty sure that if you list something on the TOR you cannot sell it or give it away for a set period of time (one year?). If you're going to be importing commercial merchandise for sale, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. I would think if you didn't sell them during the time the TOR docs indicate you can't sell them during you'd be ok....?  Hopefully someone expert will chime in here soon for you. Good luck!

What Nan said. You can't sell, barter, give away, donate any of your personal items you have brought into the country for the first 12 months. After that, you can do whatever you want with your things. You are allowed to bring things in to sell commercially but those items would have to be declared as such and then certain taxes and duties will be due on them. You'll have to pay VAT on any item you intend to sell commercially.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 9
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 12:34:44 AM »

What Nan said. You can't sell, barter, give away, donate any of your personal items you have brought into the country for the first 12 months. After that, you can do whatever you want with your things. You are allowed to bring things in to sell commercially but those items would have to be declared as such and then certain taxes and duties will be due on them. You'll have to pay VAT on any item you intend to sell commercially.

Great! Thank you both so much!!!

• Liked: 50
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 07:35:34 AM »
Essentially it means you have to move everything within 12 months of taking residence in the UK or you now get whacked with customs fees.

So if I am now outside the 12-month window does that mean I can't move my stuff over using ToR?
When I first arrived (Oct 2017) I brought suitcases/clothes only but now I am ready to move my household things. Have I forfeited the right to bring personal goods duty-free?
Is there any recourse????
Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
You might check with the TOR people. I've seen on this board a reference to them sometimes allowing it, if you can explain the delay. Not sure how accurate that is. But when you bring your "stuff" it'll be listed at the "used goods" valuation - thrift store. So if they do make you pay, hopefully it won't be too painful.

In case it helps on the shipping - we just brought a packing box (18"x18"x24") of 55 pounds weight over on Aer Lingus and it cost $83.  They have a larger weight allowance you can buy, as well as a smaller one. We got quite a lot of clothes in space bags into that box. I think that the one extra box was all we were allowed, on our particular fare type. I think if you go business/first class you can get a lot more luggage onboard. But that might make it prohibitively expensive.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab