Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hi from CT!  (Read 2111 times)

• Liked: 2
Hi from CT!
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
Hi there all,
I'm "reintroducing" myself, I initially joined this form almost 10 years ago, when my hubby and I were talking about moving. Well, our desire to move back never left but guess we were just waiting for the right time! This move seems daunting at times, but I truly feel we would be happier over in the UK and the lifestyle fits better; and we are close to his family; but of course there are so many other factors for the move.
My hubby is British and we are in the process of getting our 3 kiddo's British passports. I'm looking into the spouse visa, we seem to be ok on the financial requirements side of things.
We would need to secure jobs, which seems a little scary right now and schooling for our kids.
But in my heart of hearts, I feel it's all gonna work out!
Thanks for reading and I'm happy this forum exists! So much good information!
 :)

• Liked: 424
Re: Hi from CT!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »
Hi there all,
I'm "reintroducing" myself, I initially joined this form almost 10 years ago, when my hubby and I were talking about moving. Well, our desire to move back never left but guess we were just waiting for the right time! This move seems daunting at times, but I truly feel we would be happier over in the UK and the lifestyle fits better; and we are close to his family; but of course there are so many other factors for the move.
My hubby is British and we are in the process of getting our 3 kiddo's British passports. I'm looking into the spouse visa, we seem to be ok on the financial requirements side of things.
We would need to secure jobs, which seems a little scary right now and schooling for our kids.
But in my heart of hearts, I feel it's all gonna work out!
Thanks for reading and I'm happy this forum exists! So much good information!
 :)
Welcome back! I made the big move with the amazing help and support of the people here on the forum. It is daunting, but if it’s what you want......we’ve got your back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
Welcome back!   :)

• Liked: 49
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
Amazing! Hope it all goes smoothly for you guys :)
Visa Type: Spouse Visa
Priority Service: Yes
Online app submitted: 8th Nov 2018
Biometrics & docs sent: 13th Nov 2018
Application delivered in NY: 14th Nov 2018
Application received email from Sheffield: 18th Nov 2018
Request for "documents": 13th Dec 2018
Decision made email: 18th Dec 2018
Passport received: 22nd Dec 2018 (APPROVED!)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »
Welcome back, and hello from a fellow (former) Nutmegger.  :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
Thank you all for your warm welcome!!
Rick, that is very kind! Thank you
Aquila, that’s awesome! We are gearing up for the approaching winter, which I think is gonna be a doozy!

• Brit family living in CT
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
Hello, grateful to read your post. I am a Brit living in CT, we have been here 6 years and I am so conflicted on whether to stay and put my kids through all of their education or leave now before it is too late.  Wondering really, why you think the UK would be a better lifestyle for you and your family, it would be great to hear anyone's point of view on this from a USA point of view.  Things that scare me here, college education costs, healthcare costs and expectations, pace of life.  thank you for reading and any input.
Claire

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
Hello, grateful to read your post. I am a Brit living in CT, we have been here 6 years and I am so conflicted on whether to stay and put my kids through all of their education or leave now before it is too late.  Wondering really, why you think the UK would be a better lifestyle for you and your family, it would be great to hear anyone's point of view on this from a USA point of view.  Things that scare me here, college education costs, healthcare costs and expectations, pace of life.  thank you for reading and any input.

claireh, I can't help with your questions but just wanted to say hi!  :)

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »
so kind, thank you
Claire

• Liked: 65
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:44 AM »
My kids have experienced both the US school system and UK. My son returned last year to start Year 9 and is now in year 10 and my daughter is in her first year at Sixth Form. Both of them are excelling and are far more engaged in their education than they ever were in the US. They hated their US schools so much that I had to pull them out and homeschool for part of their middle school years. It was awful. The bullying was a real problem and my son was a victim of it. The school did next to nothing to address it. My daughter, though not bullied directly, had intense anxiety about the behaviors she witnessed and struggled academically as well. This caused her incredible anxiety and she would get physically ill over it. The school’s response was that it was hormones and she’d get over it. Not acceptable really. In the UK my kids have made wonderful friends and have far surpassed their academic performance in the US. They are excited about school and feel they are truly learning rather than just going through the motions. They actually like that there are high expectations set and that they are expected to reach them. As far as my husband and I are concerned, returning to the UK was the best decision we could have made for their education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »

Education costs here are high as well.  Tuition is £9,000 a year or £27,000 for a standard 3 year bachelor's degree.  That is the same if it's Cambridge or the worst performing university in the UK.  Not a small amount when you consider the salary levels here.

Healthcare costs come out of your taxes, so you'll feel it there.  Plus with the surcharges during the visas.  And you may still want private insurance.  So it's a bit of a wash.  Though you never have to worry about COBRA or anything like that if you leave your job or don't work.

Expectations on kids regarding academics is higher here.  It's 100% an exam based system so your kids need to be good test takers.  EVERYTHING rides on exams.  What path they take in life, what they will be when they grow up, absolutely everything.  The USA system is much more forgiving (offering a university path for everyone with community colleges for example).  The UK system is not bad, just very different.  I'm the opposite and we suspect that we are up in the air about moving before our eldest starts secondary school (age 11) as we like the USA system better.  Again, simply a preference.  And as with EVERYTHING - it depends on the school you are moving FROM to the school you are moving TO.  THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT.  County to county in the USA and council to council in the UK. 

A lot of people say they have a better work/life balance here but that is not my experience with myself, husband, or friend groups.  I actually had more holiday time in the USA, but I do know that for most, the UK has more holiday time (4 weeks minimum per year).

That being said, there are a lot of benefits to living here.  And a lot of benefits to living in the USA.  It's 100% about finding what's right for you and your family.  I am happy in the UK and am not sure I'd want to pick up my life again and move countries.  I've done it once and it was a massive adjustment.  Not sure I want to do it a second time.  But for us, it will depend on where we think our children will thrive.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
My kids have experienced both the US school system and UK. My son returned last year to start Year 9 and is now in year 10 and my daughter is in her first year at Sixth Form. Both of them are excelling and are far more engaged in their education than they ever were in the US. They hated their US schools so much that I had to pull them out and homeschool for part of their middle school years. It was awful. The bullying was a real problem and my son was a victim of it. The school did next to nothing to address it. My daughter, though not bullied directly, had intense anxiety about the behaviors she witnessed and struggled academically as well. This caused her incredible anxiety and she would get physically ill over it. The school’s response was that it was hormones and she’d get over it. Not acceptable really. In the UK my kids have made wonderful friends and have far surpassed their academic performance in the US. They are excited about school and feel they are truly learning rather than just going through the motions. They actually like that there are high expectations set and that they are expected to reach them. As far as my husband and I are concerned, returning to the UK was the best decision we could have made for their education.

hi thanks for your response, may I ask what part of CT you left? and where did you go in the UK? I am sorry your children experienced the bad side of middle school, and good to hear they are thriving. We live in West Hartford, CT and we are very privileged with the school system, I cannot fault it. My husbands concern is that schools in the UK do not push their students and bullying is huge. So it is refreshing to hear your views. again, depends on where you live just like here.  Are your kids in a private school, or grammar school?

Claire

• Liked: 65
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 02:56:21 AM »

We were in Southern California actually and we apparently were in the catchment for one of the best school districts. Didn’t seem all that great for us. My son attends a state school in Farnham that is part of an Academy trust so it’s an up and coming school. My daughter goes to Sixth Form College in Alton.

Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
nice, I had to look those 2 places up on the map, nice part of the country. 
Claire

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab