Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.  (Read 18927 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
Same for me, I can't imagine using it to pay my rent. Can you even set up direct debits and automatic payments?

I imagine you can, I've just never tried and it would never have crossed my mind to look into it
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
you're not a failure for trying and deciding it's not for you.

True... it's not the life for everyone.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
Gwen,

I hope you can be where you are more comfortable, soon. It's tough to live somewhere that you feel you hate. You start to find reasons to hate it even more every day. (Been there, done that.) Which just makes everything worse.  I have a few comments about the USA vs UK, though.

Trash/litter. I lived in several places, all across the USA. In some (mostly back East) the trash littering problem was really bad. I can remember visiting in New Jersey/NY after having been away for a couple of decades and that was the thing that hit me first when we were driving away from the airport. Yuck.  It wasn't like that in SoCal or Texas.  And it's not like that where live in Scotland. (Thankfully, because I really hate generic trash strewn around.) Having taken a bus trip or two by accident into the poorer parts of town, I see litter. It seems definitely to be a class thing. There are people paid by the local council who come around my neighborhood and tidy it up every few weeks - raking leaves from the gutters, sweeping the streets, and then the other day there was a gent washing the glass at bus stop.(!)

Same with dog waste. In some neighborhoods here people seem to uniformly pick up after their dogs. I've been in other parts of town where you have to keep an eye on where you're walking. Considering the number of dogs that apparently live in this city, though, it's not bad. Although I have to say that I live in a block of flats. We all share a communal green space - where the young children often play - outside. The fact that people turn their dogs loose out there to crap and pee, even though they pick up the poop and bin it, is just...gross. Very young children play out there in the same grass, for goodness sake! Could people not curb their darned dogs, pick it up, and then let them run around in the yard to get their ya-yas out, rather than just turning them loose and then standing there on their cellphones until the dog comes back to go in the house?  And then there's Cats. The obsession with allowing cats outside annoys the peewaddin out of me! Traffic. Foxes. Disease. Killing of Songbirds. Crapping in neighbor's gardens. Serenading at 2:00am. Marking their territory on your door or car or front steps....There are sooo many reasons to NOT let a cat outside and so many reasons to keep a house cat IN the house.  But the cat rescue place insists we have a garden into which we can let a cat out before they'll let us adopt? That's just insane. I've had multiple indoor-only cats for decades in the past, and they almost uniformly lived to be extremely elderly, in comfort and safety. Without being a public nuisance. Our last girl made it to a week short of 21 years, and died from having gone on a hunger strike when the Daughter went away to University.

Medications. I am not an idiot. I do not need someone to read the instructions on how to use Naproxen or to inquire as to why I am purchasing it. That's my own business.  Heavens... I try to remember that they are just following the training they have been given, but oy! For prescription medication, for me it's free here. If I didn't have good (expensive) medical insurance in the States I might have to go without it. I can put up with a lot of condescension (is that a word?) for free medications.

The sidewalk space thing.  I can see where it would just drive you up a wall. My Daughter just hates it -  she  is of smaller stature than me and says it happens to her more often because of her size.  It was much worse when we traveled to tourist towns or went south to England. Apparently people will generally move out of the way for an older person here. (Or I am intimidating, I don't know which.) But usually we both give way a bit. I have slammed shoulders with joggers, however. They uniformly are young women with headphones on who are obviously not aware of their surroundings, and since I'm a large person they are the ones who bounce. Annoying, though.  Having been on a University campus for most of my later working days, when the influx of Chinese students began, I ran into it really bad in the States. Especially the cutting in line thing. There are cultures (like the Chinese) where disregard of the personal-space bubble is just rampant because that's not how it's done where they live. I always try to keep that in mind, but I hated it there and I dislike it here. But, again, I must look intimidating, or have learned to ignore it, as I don't seem to notice it very much anymore. I do keep my hand on my purse in a crowd, though. Just as I would in any large city.

The Empire thing. I think that must be worse in England, as the people I've met in Glasgow have been uniformly nice and friendly. They meet eye contact and smile back. As to lines, I keep having gents offer to allow me to go first when we both get to the till at the shops, or get on the bus, etc.  That's probably an age thing, though. Even the younger people will offer to give me their seats on the bus if we are standing-room only. Which is lovely (I usually decline), but I'm not THAT old. People here still hold doors open for each other.

Driving. I compare here and Los Angles. I'm happier on the roads here, by a longshot. Although driving here terrifies me because everything, while seeming so similar, is different and I can't rely on all the "automatic" kind of driving behaviors that are ingrained after driving in the US for decades. In fact, it's hell trying to unlearn them. There's less drive-by shooting here, too, on the road. (And in general. Actually, there isn't any here.) People in California drive like maniacs, "go with the flow", and consider traffic signs to be basic advice only.

Work. Thankfully I was able to retire early so I don't need to work here. But I have been looking, just the same, and aside from the problems of being old and foreign, the strange insistence on "qualifications" is intensely irritating. You could be a world-famous brain surgeon, but if you don''t have the right certificate from an accredited agency that shows you sat through three mindless months of "this is a bandage" training to learn how to apply a bandage, you cannot be hired to apply a bandage. (Exaggeration,  yes, perhaps, but it seems to be a common mindset. They don't seem to "do" transferrable skills here. If you haven't already done task "A" at a job, even though you've done tasks B,C, D, E, and F, several of which are very similar to "A",  you can't get past the "sifting" to an interview. Maddening!)

Efficiency - the lack thereof. Oh, dear Lord, don't get me going on that one! It's staggering.

The Daughter just read your post and wonders if you live near a university (ak vomit in the streets land). That's one of the reasons we live a bit farther away from her Uni than we could have. To avoid the drunks. There really is a lot of drinking here. But there was in California as well. Encouragingly, it seems that more young people are NOT going into the drinking culture than in the past. One can only hope that persists. It's been a little uncomfortable to be teetotalers in a world of excess alcohol. But it was in States as well, so...eh.

But yes, perhaps you would have been happier checking out different parts of the USA, rather than making a huge cultural jump to another country. As time goes on in the USA the general culture is becoming more homogenized. I can remember traveling as a child and teen and how different the deep south was from the Northeast - it's not quite like that now.  But there are enough different subcultures in the USA still that if you wade out of what is familiar you can experience them. 

You know, books, TV and movies can lull one into thinking they know a culture - all the BBC dramas, etc. - and it can be a shock when you're immersed in it and find it's not that way. Apparently there's a syndrome in Japan where young women become besotted with all things French and then go to Paris and have such a tremendous letdown that they have mental breakdowns. I strongly suspect it happens to people moving to the USA from foreign countries sometimes, too.  TV, books, and movies are not everyday life. Plus, it takes a certain personality type, I think, to be able to bounce around to different cultures and find happiness in them. Not a better or worse, just different. It's not for everyone.

Good luck when you get "home" again.  Hopefully you'll be more comfortable when you are surrounded by the predictable and familiar. At least you will have had the experience, and won't find yourself sitting 20 years from now saying "gee, I wish I would have..." or "I wonder what it would have been like?"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:30:06 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Many thanks to everyone -- Phatbeetle, Blossom, larrabee, jimbocz, xOKissOfDeath, KFdancer, Margo, Albatross, sonofasailor, Nan D. and anyone else who may have read the post permitting my rant. Once again, I'm angry at myself and probably unfairly projecting some of that anger onto my surroundings. But it is true what many have said that at least I know without question where I want to be (in the US not the UK or Europe), that much is crystal clear.

I actually could go on and on, but that would probably be trying everyone's patience.  :) Like being reminded that today is Halloween and then complaining about the habit of one of my spouse's London born & raised siblings who laughs and says, Oh, you're going out begging when it's trick-or-treating time in the U.S. Both she and my spouse laugh, but I never thought it funny. But maybe that's how some British people feel about it. I've heard that some people here really dislike the tradition, perhaps because it's a US thing. It could perhaps also have some historical basis. This WW2 training film for US soldiers in Britain 1943 is interesting. Apparently, Americans had to be instructed not to flash their money, candy, and cigarettes around because people in Britain were on rations. My husband thinks some resentment still lingers because the Yanks & all their candy were here while British men were fighting for their king & country. Not sure about the numbers, but many British girls ended up marrying American men.  One other half-baked and related theories is some Americans can be a bit flash because we never had to concern ourselves about offending the king or queen or worry about the endless rules of behaviour when in the presence of aristocracy.

This is the WWII film from the archives.

A lot of my negativity could also be a form of transference. My husband's relatives have a passive-aggressive way of insulting the US and our American-ness at almost every turn it seems, but I can't call them out on it because what's the point of stirring up trouble. Plus my husband thinks it's all in my head and it's just the way they like to joke around. Like the way a couple of his relatives repeat certain words we say (in a mocking way, which is difficult to explain in writing). Yet we say nothing at all about the way they pronounce words like pasta, for example. They pronounce it like I imagine Shawn the Sheep would. Paaassta. I say pahsta, rhymes with BASTA! lol.

Sorry. I'll stop now and find my own way out. Thank you all again. Expressing all that pent up discontent really was therapeutic.

Wishing you much happiness & success in the UK or wherever you may find yourselves. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:28:27 AM by GwynH »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
Gwen, this guy used to be a member of this forum and wrote awesome blogs.  This is his Halloween one.

http://expatclaptrap.com/british-hate-halloween-really/

Fortutnately Halloween is taking off in my area.  Yeah, I still hear the "it's American" thing and "encouraging kids to beg and entitled."  But I let it roll off my back.

Any timeline on when you might be able to move back to the USA?  Or are you "stuck"?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
There are sooo many reasons to NOT let a cat outside and so many reasons to keep a house cat IN the house.  But the cat rescue place insists we have a garden into which we can let a cat out before they'll let us adopt? That's just insane.

Not all shelters have this policy. I managed to find two near me which are more than happy to home indoor cats. They are both small, independent places so can make their own decisions rather than having to follow the company line as is the case with some of the bigger shelters.
Keep looking!  :)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Oh my goodnesss, KFdancer. Thank you so much for the link. I can't wait to finish reading the blog posts. I'm really not insane! And that explains the begging comments! Thank you. :-*

I wouldn't say we're stuck, but we do have to work out some things. I just hope my husband doesn't change his mind about going back, that's the one major concern. But if all goes according to my plan, definitely back soon--with or without him. lol. Ideally no later than June when school is out in the US.

Gwen, this guy used to be a member of this forum and wrote awesome blogs.  This is his Halloween one.

http://expatclaptrap.com/british-hate-halloween-really/

Fortutnately Halloween is taking off in my area.  Yeah, I still hear the "it's American" thing and "encouraging kids to beg and entitled."  But I let it roll off my back.

Any timeline on when you might be able to move back to the USA?  Or are you "stuck"?

• Liked: 163
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
This post may be considered inappropriate even for the airing cupboard because I have very little good to say about my 1 year in the UK. This is a rant, so I do hope that no one takes anything I say personally. It is strictly my subjective opinion and personal experience.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been in the UK for 11 years, and while I've come to terms with all the ways I find the UK lacking, and despite the fact that I generally like living in the UK, there are still days I want to burn the whole place down and fcuk off to Hawaii.  :)

People take their holiday time off from work. It's not all work and no play, more like play and work as little as possible ...

I lived in New York before coming to the UK, and people in my office used to brag about how much time they spent at work. Ugh.

Driving - People drive really, really fast and do not seem to think pedestrians have the right of way. Again, what kind of sick person drives up onto the sidewalk that children are walking on?! I've seen this many a time, so it's a thing.

I live out in the countryside where the roads are narrow and there are giant hedges on both sides. People coming the other way tend not to move over and just zip down the middle of the road despite the fact that there's not enough room for 2 cars unless both of them move as far out of each other's way as they can. After getting tired of being the only one to move aside, I started edging into the center as soon as I saw an oncoming car, and this seems to make people focus on how much room there is and move over so both of us can keep going without having to drive into the bushes.

Along the "driving/personal space" lines, people also seem to tailgate a lot more in the UK than in the US. There's always some clown less than a car length behind me as we're going 50 mph down a two-lane road where farm tractors and horses are common.

It makes me feel very uncomfortable the way all too many teachers speak to children. It's horrible, like it's the 70s when ...

It also seems like they're way faster to start slotting children into university and vocational tracks than I think is good. I like the US idea that everyone should get the same education because being educated is a good thing in and of itself, rather than the UK idea that education is only useful as far as it trains you for your eventual adult profession. (I'm simplifying, but you get the gist.)

The inefficiency of things. 

If you want to over complicate anything, add British people to it. Why have a form you can fill out and submit online when you can instead have a form that you fill out online which is then mailed to you so you can sign it in blue or black ink and have your signature witnessed by a lawyer, doctor, teacher, nurse, postman, blacksmith, farrier, or tallow maiden before mailing it back to be rejected because the evidence of your address wasn't stamped and sealed in wax by the bank?

Anyway, thanks for giving me an excuse to get some stuff off my chest, and good luck with your move!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
Halloween though has a long history in Scotland! Long before the USA was even a place.
The 'American traditions' of Halloween seem to originate from Scotland.
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Halloween-in-Scotland/

We have guisers here and the kids have to tell a joke or perform or sing before getting their sweet.  And they do. They hold up their end of their bargain.   And I love that the only acceptable costumes are scary ones.   I'm sad to be out tonight (and not doing Halloween things) and missing our village guisers.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
Halloween though has a long history in Scotland! Long before the USA was even a place.
The 'American traditions' of Halloween seem to originate from Scotland.
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Halloween-in-Scotland/

We have guisers here and the kids have to tell a joke or perform or sing before getting their sweet.  And they do. They hold up their end of their bargain.   And I love that the only acceptable costumes are scary ones.   I'm sad to be out tonight (and not doing Halloween things) and missing our village guisers.
The more I hear about Scotland, aside from the cold I feel like it would fit me a lot more than England near London. The Halloween traditions are so fun!

I'm in counseling because some of my issues adapting here are "me" issues and struggling with change, but they genuinely make it as hard as possible for newcomers. The bureaucracy and qualifications requirements are crazy, and I feel like they make them up just to force companies into spending money on training and making employees feel like they're accomplished. (An ex told me about his "qualifications" for customer service and he was so excited because it meant he might get to be second level and they were all common sense concepts for anyone in that industry.) I think I would be a lot happier if I'd moved in my 20s, before I was sick and while figuring out my future. I can't even help my husband learn to drive after getting my full license because of the wonderful "needs a full EU or UK license for 3 years rule", because 20 years of driving in another country doesn't count.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »

A lot of my negativity could also be a form of transference. My husband's relatives have a passive-aggressive way of insulting the US and our American-ness at almost every turn it seems, but I can't call them out on it because what's the point of stirring up trouble. Plus my husband thinks it's all in my head and it's just the way they like to joke around. Like the way a couple of his relatives repeat certain words we say (in a mocking way, which is difficult to explain in writing). Yet we say nothing at all about the way they pronounce words like pasta, for example. They pronounce it like I imagine Shawn the Sheep would. Paaassta. I say pahsta, rhymes with BASTA! lol.

That is one thing I cannot stand about some people...but the problem is that I see this in both the US and the UK and it makes it exceptionally hard for me because I find the Americans in my life will mock the way certain things are said or done in the UK to me and some Brits will mock the American way of saying or doing things and it just doesn't help make me feel like I belong anywhere at points.

I find I end up doing a lot of defending the Americans to the Brits and vice versa and I find people on both sides of "the pond" tend to dislike something specifically because it's associated with the other country and they don't want to admit how similar somethings truly are. For example, I agree with sometimes I feel like some people over here do dislike Halloween strictly because it's a big deal in the US and they don't like the idea of taking on a big American tradition.

But...that being said about Halloween...same as what Kelly said, it's actually more Halloween-y here now than it used to be and that at least makes me happy. It literally seems to be growing every year and that's a positive thing in my eyes :)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
The more I hear about Scotland, aside from the cold I feel like it would fit me a lot more than England near London.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Come... join us! We have candy 😁
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »
I've always said that if I had to move elsewhere in the UK outside of my current area, I would hands down choose Scotland (as close to Edinburgh as I could afford). I absolutely love it up there (but I very much enjoy it where I am as well...I think weather-wise gives where I am a bit of an edge)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
I've always said that if I had to move elsewhere in the UK outside of my current area, I would hands down choose Scotland (as close to Edinburgh as I could afford). I absolutely love it up there (but I very much enjoy it where I am as well...I think weather-wise gives where I am a bit of an edge)

But remember, it was too hot where you were this summer! Looks like even the weather will be better in Scotland in the coming years!  :)

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
But remember, it was too hot where you were this summer! Looks like even the weather will be better in Scotland in the coming years!  :)

Too hot for most, but I am happy to have too hot in the summer vs snow! :D
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab