Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.  (Read 18759 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
Too hot for most, but I am happy to have too hot in the summer vs snow! :D

Fair enough!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »
There is a really good positive about Halloween in the UK and it's that we don't have any boggin candy corn!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
Halloween though has a long history in Scotland! Long before the USA was even a place.
The 'American traditions' of Halloween seem to originate from Scotland.
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Halloween-in-Scotland/

We have guisers here and the kids have to tell a joke or perform or sing before getting their sweet.  And they do. They hold up their end of their bargain.   And I love that the only acceptable costumes are scary ones.   I'm sad to be out tonight (and not doing Halloween things) and missing our village guisers.

I need to move to your town. Living in a locked tower in the city where there are  no doorbells rung on Halloween is depressing. It is the ~big~ holiday in this household, too. We've got no less than a dozen different decorations up on the front windowsill. (Must uphold tradition!)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »
I need to move to your town. Living in a locked tower in the city where there are  no doorbells rung on Halloween is depressing. It is the ~big~ holiday in this household, too. We've got no less than a dozen different decorations up on the front windowsill. (Must uphold tradition!)

I normally decorate but didn’t this year as we were on holiday at the beginning of October and we have our house on the market so didn’t want to do too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
There is a really good positive about Halloween in the UK and it's that we don't have any boggin candy corn!

Preaaaach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
I really hope I'm more on top of things next year. I have zero decorations (due to no where to store things... We are still unpacking heh) and it's making me sad. I had to get a bunch of yard work done so that left zero spoons for pumpkin carving.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 584
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
Gwen, this guy used to be a member of this forum and wrote tiresome blogs. 

Fixed that for you!  ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
Not all shelters have this policy. I managed to find two near me which are more than happy to home indoor cats. They are both small, independent places so can make their own decisions rather than having to follow the company line as is the case with some of the bigger shelters.
Keep looking!  :)

Found a list which appears to have lots of smaller shelters in your neck of the woods, along with the big hitters.

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-rescue-centres-strathclyde-scotland

• Liked: 537
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »

A lot of my negativity could also be a form of transference. My husband's relatives have a passive-aggressive way of insulting the US and our American-ness at almost every turn it seems, but I can't call them out on it because what's the point of stirring up trouble. Plus my husband thinks it's all in my head and it's just the way they like to joke around. Like the way a couple of his relatives repeat certain words we say (in a mocking way, which is difficult to explain in writing). Yet we say nothing at all about the way they pronounce words like pasta, for example. They pronounce it like I imagine Shawn the Sheep would. Paaassta. I say pahsta, rhymes with BASTA! lol.

Oh, I had my husband's uncle give me sh*t for how I said "Thank you for inviting us," to his son's wedding. I wasn't in the best place at the time and I  was absolutely crushed. I can still here how he said it 3.5 years on a d it makes my blood boil.

But, after 4 years (and realising I can suffer from depression and a course or two of antidepressants) I'm happy and I really like it here.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Oh, I had my husband's uncle give me sh*t for how I said "Thank you for inviting us," to his son's wedding. I wasn't in the best place at the time and I  was absolutely crushed. I can still here how he said it 3.5 years on a d it makes my blood boil.

I genuinely don't get what is wrong with some people (regardless of country). If somebody thanks you for an invitation, why can't you just say "You're Welcome!"!?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:46:23 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
I genuinely don't get what is wrong with some people (regardless of country). If somebody thanks you for an invitation, why can't you just say "Thank You!"!?

I know, right? A simple,"it was lovely you could make it" or "We were glad to have you" would have a sufficed instead of making fun of my intonation of thank you. Luckily we haven't seen them since. He was a rude ass.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
I know, right? A simple,"it was lovely you could make it" or "We were glad to have you" would have a sufficed instead of making fun of my intonation of thank you. Luckily we haven't seen them since. He was a rude ass.

Meant to say You're Welcome instead of Thank You but you got the point. I just don't get it...lol What does a person like that get out of responding that way?
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
Fixed that for you!  ;D

I was so happy to read an expat blog that did NOT revolve around "OMG, look at my amazing, glamorous, international jetsetting-style" and instead made complete and utter fun of all things British and American equally.  ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »

The Jimbocz house has two bags!  We all love candy corn, my boy is an evangelist

• Liked: 672
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
I genuinely don't get what is wrong with some people (regardless of country). If somebody thanks you for an invitation, why can't you just say "You're Welcome!"!?

Because you are inherently not a nice person, is why. :( (Not you you, them you.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:25:18 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links