Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.  (Read 18935 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
But then one out of two Brits voted Brexit.  Both countries are big ole disappointments right now.

But, good news!  Austerity is over!  UK can breathe easy.  The bad times are over!   ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:25 AM »
I could do a similar rant about the USA but I won't and I've lived here for 31 years.
I was really looking forward to retiring in Washington State but after a trip to the UK in  September we both decided we would be happier in the UK. It's where my family and friends are and we're both excited to move . Funny thing is I wasn't that interested in going to the UK on this last trip but for us there's a lot more likes than dislikes .

Yeah, I was going to move to New England. For years that was the plan. Strange how it all works out! ;D

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
But then one out of two Brits voted Brexit.  Both countries are big ole disappointments right now.

(Uhhh, 2 out of 3 Scots voted remain....  ;)  )

We live in interesting times. Kind of reminds me of the period between WW1 and WW2 actually. Without the horrific economic depression. And with, hopefully, a better outcome.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
(Uhhh, 2 out of 3 Scots voted remain....  ;)  )

We live in interesting times. Kind of reminds me of the period between WW1 and WW2 actually. Without the horrific economic depression. And with, hopefully, a better outcome.
Nan...

I'm one of those people who have to lecture you on how to safely take ibuprofen. I hate it. But you know what,  I've found tons of people taking it improperly.  So there is that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
Nan...

I'm one of those people who have to lecture you on how to safely take ibuprofen. I hate it. But you know what,  I've found tons of people taking it improperly.  So there is that.

Okay, so... what's the trick?  How do you do it wrong?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
Daughter is wanting a dog. A small one. Older. Something bigger than a ratdog, smaller than a German Shepard. (I'm torn. I would like both a kitty and a dog, actually, but I'm not going that route.)  Know of a dog shelter that doesn't insist we have a yard with a six-foot fence? (Since it's technically my house, it'd have to be a really special dog to beat out getting a cat.)
All the big shelters wouldn't give you a chance, bit smaller ones would. Heck, Dogs Trust wouldn't give me and my husband a dog because we both work 8 hours a day and the dog would have to be home with our whippet during that time. My husband was going home at lunch every day then too.
It was crap.
A small rescue outfit (Greyhound Gap) let us have my Lily and had no problem with our schedules. And I know they are flexible about living arrangements as long as ALL the dogs needs are met and you pass the home visit.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
Okay, so... what's the trick?  How do you do it wrong?
You take it too often, too much, for things it won't help, with other medications it interacts with and with medical conditions you can make worse by taking it.

Not just ibuprofen though. Lots of medications.

I had to deny a sale of diphendramine to an elderly lady the other day who has COPD and asthma. Do you want to stop breathing in the middle of the night, because that's how you stop breathing in the middle of the night!

I'm all for being able to choose which OTC medications you want to take but you have to do it in a safe way. Call me Captain Safety! (As I bring home my 1000ct bottle of 50mg diphendramine)

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
I had to deny a sale of diphendramine to an elderly lady the other day who has COPD and asthma. Do you want to stop breathing in the middle of the night, because that's how you stop breathing in the middle of the night!

Seriously!  I do not go to bed 'til I'm sober, and I don't take sleep aids.  I already don't breathe enough in my sleep (supplemental O2 at night). I am not about to make it worse by suppressing respiration.

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
Nan...

Yeah, I guess they do.  But I'd much rather someone asked if I was familiar with the medication before they started in on me!

And yeah, ibuprofen can mess you up, and tylenol can do a number on your liver, etc.  I never swallow (or otherwise use) a medication that I haven't already read up on. There was one time that the Walgreens pharmacist gave me a penicillin derivative - that was what the doctor ordered. I am deathly allergic to penicillin. I was not familiar with the name of the medication, so, of course, I read the enclosed document and went back and gave them hell. And then phoned the doctor's office and read them the riot act. (It was flagged on my records at the pharmacy AND at the doctor's already - two different layers of screw-up!) Anyway, I'm just not one of those "doctor says take this" and blindly takes it without reading up on it first! Same with OTC.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
But, good news!  Austerity is over!  UK can breathe easy.  The bad times are over!   ::)

For some reason, I feel I have to share this cover..   :P
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 5
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
I've been here for 16 years and I love it here, I'm a UK citizen (since 2007) and this is where I belong. But I enjoyed your rant very much and it made me laugh because at some point over the years (and possibly over the last week) I've said all these things.

Hope you get to go back to the US soon, where you're more comfortable. Best wishes to you. :)
Work permit (which I guess now would be called a Tier 2 Visa for Skilled Migrant Workers -- and might have been called that then, I don't remember) 2002. ILR 2004. UK citizenship 2007.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2019, 10:40:16 AM »
So, have you left yet?  I suppose living here can be a bit like going to prison (not that I would know lol)

But you have to get used to loads. Some things will annoy you at first, but you just get used to it. It's called assimilation.

Yes, the electric/gas companies are mostly crooked b*stards who have been fined for being crooked b*stards but they never change. life here. everyone deals with it.

Gambling? They recently imposed new rules re fruit machines to protect the vulnerable. But let's not forget Las Vegas and Atlantic City or the vast availability of online gaming and lotto tickets stateside.

Inefficiency? Yes well that's rampant. But you haven't yet learned the art of playing on it.

But much of this is all petty whinging. I've been here so long I can't take that these days lol. x

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
So, have you left yet?  I suppose living here can be a bit like going to prison (not that I would know lol)

But you have to get used to loads. Some things will annoy you at first, but you just get used to it. It's called assimilation.

Yes, the electric/gas companies are mostly crooked b*stards who have been fined for being crooked b*stards but they never change. life here. everyone deals with it.

Gambling? They recently imposed new rules re fruit machines to protect the vulnerable. But let's not forget Las Vegas and Atlantic City or the vast availability of online gaming and lotto tickets stateside.

Inefficiency? Yes well that's rampant. But you haven't yet learned the art of playing on it.

But much of this is all petty whinging. I've been here so long I can't take that these days lol. x

Kind reminder that this is a safe place for people to be able to vent their frustrations. Please just be careful how you phrase things to others as it’s okay to have a differing opinion but we don’t want to push people away from potentially the only group of people to understand their struggle on any level. I’m sure you didn’t write this with a particular type of tone intended, but just wanted to give a kind reminder :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »
Being from small town new england, the only thing that keeps me sane is the fact it reminds of home so much. Have to agree on the personal space, the amount of times im in the check out line and someone behind me bumps into me with a trolley or basket....( and whats with the 4 wheel steering on the trolleys!!)
Yes, its a nation of petty thieves, especially in the northwest, if it aint bolted down, padlocked, its gone!
Yes, litter bugs abound, I was told it was because the IRA used to hide bombs in trash cans, but that was quite awhile back! Its a bit like the 1970's as far as litter goes
But my kids are getting older, as am I, I have to be where they are and the medical system here has been so refreshing,( broke a knee 3 years ago, dont want to think how much that would have cost in the states!)
No shovelling in winter..yaay!

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
. Have to agree on the personal space, the amount of times im in the check out line and someone behind me bumps into me with a trolley or basket....( and whats with the 4 wheel steering on the trolleys!!)

2 words: Market Basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links