Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.  (Read 18930 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
2 words: Market Basket.

Your two words have confused me.  I know them individually, but as a pair, it's meaningless...  ???
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »
Your two words have confused me.  I know them individually, but as a pair, it's meaningless...  ???

It’s a New England thing haha drew will know . It’s like a layer of hell created by Dante himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
Operation Market Basket: a tin too far.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »
Operation Market Basket: a tin too far.

"Bargains aren't always worth the battle.."
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »

It’s a New England thing haha drew will know . It’s like a layer of hell created by Dante himself

Market Basket? Don't you mean Demoulas??  ;D
I love that no one else here will get this very inside joke!
I hardly shopped there, too....depressing? Its the bare fluorescent lights and shelf racks... yes it was cheap to shop, but rather be in a Shaws or even IGA!
God I miss the giant muffins at Shaws 

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

Market Basket? Don't you mean Demoulas??  ;D
I love that no one else here will get this very inside joke!
I hardly shopped there, too....depressing? Its the bare fluorescent lights and shelf racks... yes it was cheap to shop, but rather be in a Shaws or even IGA!
God I miss the giant muffins at Shaws

Demoulas works as well

Shaw’s in my hometown is now a target haha. But yeah, my family loovveesss the bargain. I’d rather pay more to NOT get assaulted by the elderly every aisle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
since you brought up people clogging aisles, whats with the woman here deciding to have a catch up here...in the Middle Of The Frigging aisle junction!
Pull that sh*t over to the side and let those of us who know how to shop quickly get through!!!

I have a deep disdain of crowded places, if I hit the store at the right time, I can be in and out in 20 mins for a weekly  shop and i
I do miss the fact you could find times to shop in the states where you could swing your trolley around in circles with abandon and not worry about hitting a soul as the store was so empty. Ahhh...good times !  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
Market Basket. Oh the memories of drunken nights wandering through MB whilst in Uni. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
since you brought up people clogging aisles, whats with the woman here deciding to have a catch up here...in the Middle Of The Frigging aisle junction!
Pull that sh*t over to the side and let those of us who know how to shop quickly get through!!!

I have a deep disdain of crowded places, if I hit the store at the right time, I can be in and out in 20 mins for a weekly  shop and i
I do miss the fact you could find times to shop in the states where you could swing your trolley around in circles with abandon and not worry about hitting a soul as the store was so empty. Ahhh...good times !  ;D

I just can't deal with people sometimes hahaha. My husband has to be the designated trolley pusher out of the two of us when we go shopping because I just lose my sh*t with people sometimes. They just have no idea about how to behave and shop in an orderly and polite fashion as well as being clueless about personal space. For a country that knows how to queue at a till/machine, they seem to be clueless at queuing in the fruit/veg section and will instead impatiently jump in front of you to pick out their bag of carrots. and yeah...no need to stand there and block the WHOLE aisle slowly! I mean, I have these same issues in the US. I think it's just a "people" thing unfortunately haha

You can definitely get to a shop when it's more or less empty if you feel like doing shopping at the 24 hour Tesco at very odd/late times :p

Market Basket. Oh the memories of drunken nights wandering through MB whilst in Uni. 

It must be a more enjoyable time to be there whilst drunk as hell LOL It is NOT pleasant to be there on a weekend (especially earlier in the day when all the oldies are out and about.
My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »
The only time to go to MB is when you're drunk  ;D
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »

Ugh, this pisses me off too. Or blocking a walking path nattering with their dogs on leads while you try to get by with yours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 41
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
OP I am just going to throw this out there... I am a Brit and I've spent a while in the US over the past few years with my OH (not living, yet) and I really do sympathise with a lot of what you are saying.

I sometimes think it would be an amusing social experiment to round up a group of average entitled Brits and dump them in the middle of the rural south and watch the chaos.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:57 PM »
The small things definitely add up, I'm a Brit living in California and really dislike it so I get it but I must admit your qualms about England seem small compared to life in America with fear of being shot, no paid vacation as standard, 6 weeks maternity leave, homeless people everywhere etc
Also I'm vegan and find England wayyy easier to find food. Non dairy creamer is harder ti find because we dony typically use creamer in England, we use milk and there are like 10 plant based milks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:42:07 PM by Cam54 »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
The small things definitely add up, I'm a Brit living in California and really dislike it so I get it but I must admit your qualms about England seem small compared to life in America with fear of being shot, no paid vacation as standard, 6 weeks maternity leave, homeless people everywhere etc
Also I'm vegan and find England wayyy easier to find food. Non dairy creamer is harder ti find because we dony typically use creamer in England, we use milk and there are like 10 plant based milks

Having a wee think, but there's Oatly Cream and Alpro Soya Single Cream found in any supermarket, plus Coconut Whipping cream,  rice milk whipping cream, almond cooking cream, and cashew cooking cream, found at health food shops and other speciality shops.  Can make half and half relatively easily with plant creamer and milk  :)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
At times, the pettiness and passive aggression of some british people is absolutely staggering. just the other evening, when I went to a zumba class, i had put my handbag and water bottle on a large round table. I normally put my things at the back, but this time I just wanted my things closer to where I work out. Within two minutes, this  woman stormed up to the table, gave me this horrid glare, and dumped her things on the table. As if she owned it and I was trespassing. So ridiculous. So I moved my things. Take the high road. You make them look even more pathetic when you do this.

My coping mechanism here has become one of just blanking anyone who behaves like this. You show them the contempt they show you and suffer no fools. I've been in this country 20 years, so hopefully I'm not talking out of my you know what x

Sponsored Links