Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you enjoy UK Winters?  (Read 15582 times)

• Liked: 584
Re: Do you enjoy UK Winters?
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
In Manchester at the moment...last night we came out of the pub and the snow was falling in huge soft flakes and it was so pretty!  I look at snow differently when I'm not having to struggle in to work with it!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
Right nippy here this morning. Appears to be freezing mist outside, as I cannot see down the block.
Good day to NOT go out.

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Attaching photo from early yesterday morning. Very pretty. I think it was yesterday. Might have been Tuesday? They're all blending together....

It;s all pretty and stuff until you have to put even just a foot outside in it! haha

You should've seen everybody on Tuesday when it started snowing...absolute mass exodus from the building at work hahaha Funnily enough, there wasn't much traffic when I left because everybody had left so much earlier out of fear and the snow had stopped by that point so wasn't a bad drive in the end :)

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
Right nippy here this morning. Appears to be freezing mist outside, as I cannot see down the block.
Good day to NOT go out.

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Attaching photo from early yesterday morning. Very pretty. I think it was yesterday. Might have been Tuesday? They're all blending together....
Very pretty! Nice to be able to watch from indoors. Back in Buffalo when we'd have blizzards I'd open my front curtains (huge picture window, that I honestly wasn't the fondest of because you could see clear through the house with the curtains open) and just watch the snow fall. It was so relaxing, until I needed to shovel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
Did you like it in Buffalo?

One of our "worst case" planning scenarios involves a university in New York State. I had, in times past, considered moving to Binghamton, but that's a bit further south than Buffalo.

« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
Did you like it in Buffalo?

One of our "worst case" planning scenarios involves a university in New York State. I had, in times past, considered moving to Binghamton, but that's a bit further south than Buffalo.
I actually really miss a LOT about Buffalo besides the snow & cold. But a warning, summers get very hot. With climate change it now goes from winter to "this is too hot and humid" in the span of about a month. Housing is getting slightly more expensive, but it's still very affordable. There's a lot of jobs opportunities. There is a ton of good food, a large refugee community that has opened restaurants and run a farm in the city. Lots of farmers markets. It has the nickname The City of Good Neighbors and it really lives up to it.

« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2019, 01:37:06 PM »
I actually really miss a LOT about Buffalo besides the snow & cold. But a warning, summers get very hot. With climate change it now goes from winter to "this is too hot and humid" in the span of about a month. Housing is getting slightly more expensive, but it's still very affordable. There's a lot of jobs opportunities. There is a ton of good food, a large refugee community that has opened restaurants and run a farm in the city. Lots of farmers markets. It has the nickname The City of Good Neighbors and it really lives up to it.

Ah, well, it's out then. No can do hot summers. Humid or dry, the impact of heat is the same.  Good to know that - thanks.

« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:46 PM »
Ah, well, it's out then. No can do hot summers. Humid or dry, the impact of heat is the same.  Good to know that - thanks.
You want the Pacific NW if you go back to the states :)

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
You want the Pacific NW if you go back to the states :)

Yeah, no can do. Aside from the Cascadia Subduction Zone, none of the Unis  have the appropriate program. Canada does, though. Daughter could go if she could fund it, but I'm not sure they'd let me in. I know I can't move there as a retired person.

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »
There seems to be freezing fog alternating with snow outside right now! Pretty, but people out there look miserable and traffic is crawling.  :o

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
There seems to be freezing fog alternating with snow outside right now! Pretty, but people out there look miserable and traffic is crawling.  :o

We have lovely sun!  :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
Really sunny and very cold (well not like the US midwest, but Scottish!)  today up here. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
Haven’t read everyone’s responses, but myself personally, I’m not a fan. I’ve been here nearly 5 years and it hasn’t gotten easier for me  :P I’m from California, so I do miss the sunshine and warm weather. I find that I can tolerate it when it’s cold or rainy, but when it’s a combo of cold, rain and windy that gets right into my bones lol. It’s pretty here when it snows though!  ;D
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
Took a walk at the Botanics this afternoon. Lovely sweater weather, the crocus and the snowdrops are out in force, as were the honeybees!
I sure hope it doesn't turn cold again now, for the poor bees! They were buzzing their little hearts out, from flower to flower to flower!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2019, 04:49:41 AM »
Took a walk at the Botanics this afternoon. Lovely sweater weather, the crocus and the snowdrops are out in force, as were the honeybees!
I sure hope it doesn't turn cold again now, for the poor bees! They were buzzing their little hearts out, from flower to flower to flower!

I'm frightened to speak too soon, but it really does feel like spring here too!  :D

• Liked: 248
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
Bright and lovely here (the weather, as well as me!)

The saying goes, March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.  I've only ever known March to arrive all lovely and pleasant and by the end of the month there are high winds and rain.  So much for sayings!

But ............

The days are getting longer!  Yippppeeee! 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab